Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:25 PM   #1
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040
 
spinedoc77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Lightbulb Anyone use the Note 2 as a data only "tablet" with a data plan?

Specifically on ATT, although I'd consider other carriers if it worked. I'm not ready to replace my ip5 with the Note 2, it's just too big as a phone. But I'd love to carry one around in addition to my ip5 as a "tablet", to use for internet, video, RDP into windows, etc.

I doubt ATT would let me add it for $10 to my mobile share plan, but has anyone done this? Absent this I'm thinking I could pop out my ipad SIM card which is on a $10 mobileshare plan and pop it into the Note 2 and change the APN settings for data, would this work?
__________________
What would the world be like if laptops were released with iOS?
spinedoc77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:32 PM   #2
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030
 
blackhand1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
Specifically on ATT, although I'd consider other carriers if it worked. I'm not ready to replace my ip5 with the Note 2, it's just too big as a phone. But I'd love to carry one around in addition to my ip5 as a "tablet", to use for internet, video, RDP into windows, etc.

I doubt ATT would let me add it for $10 to my mobile share plan, but has anyone done this? Absent this I'm thinking I could pop out my ipad SIM card which is on a $10 mobileshare plan and pop it into the Note 2 and change the APN settings for data, would this work?
Why not just get a nexus 7 hspa+ or wait for the galaxy note 8 lte.
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:08 PM   #3
b166er
macrumors 68020
 
b166er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philly
I wish they would allow it. But it would crush their margins, since you could just use skype and replace your phone with a data only plan. However if you do figure out a way let us know!
__________________
Wait... I had something for this.
b166er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:16 PM   #4
spinedoc77
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
spinedoc77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Why not just get a nexus 7 hspa+ or wait for the galaxy note 8 lte.
They are too big, I need something pocketable.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by b166er View Post
I wish they would allow it. But it would crush their margins, since you could just use skype and replace your phone with a data only plan. However if you do figure out a way let us know!
Hmm, but you can do this with any other ipad or tablet, but chances are people don't want to use those as phones I suppose. Does ATT explicitly not allow this?
__________________
What would the world be like if laptops were released with iOS?
spinedoc77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:51 PM   #5
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b166er View Post
I wish they would allow it. But it would crush their margins, since you could just use skype and replace your phone with a data only plan. However if you do figure out a way let us know!
Or even better use Google voice and get a real phone number with free calls and sms!
__________________
I own stuff that is cool and fits my needs.
TheHateMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:28 PM   #6
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000
 
LSUtigers03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
They are too big, I need something pocketable.

----------



Hmm, but you can do this with any other ipad or tablet, but chances are people don't want to use those as phones I suppose. Does ATT explicitly not allow this?
They don't allow smartphones to have a non smartphone data plan. I know people have had success using International phones with cheaper data plans because AT&T sometimes can't identify the device by the imei. If you try to use an AT&T device then they probably won't let you add it as a tablet. Go to xda and see if anyone has tried this with the International Note 2.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:40 PM   #7
spinedoc77
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
spinedoc77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigers03 View Post
They don't allow smartphones to have a non smartphone data plan. I know people have had success using International phones with cheaper data plans because AT&T sometimes can't identify the device by the imei. If you try to use an AT&T device then they probably won't let you add it as a tablet. Go to xda and see if anyone has tried this with the International Note 2.

Dang, TY for the info. So if I swapped my ipad SIM and got it to work what would ATT do? Oh well, I can always tether it.
__________________
What would the world be like if laptops were released with iOS?
spinedoc77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrier: Verizon unlimited data is back if you have a nationwide plan/grandfathered data richdog31 iPhone 7 Oct 8, 2013 01:40 PM
BIG new iTunes 11.1 feature- "Other" turned into "Documents and Data" sflomenb Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Sep 18, 2013 06:57 PM
Why is Data Rescue 3 "reading drives" before starting any "tasks" HMI Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Oct 7, 2012 11:18 PM
If im grandfathered on unlimited plan selecting "Choose existing data plan" keeps it? bobright iPhone 5 Sep 14, 2012 03:21 AM
iPad 3 "cellular plan expired" in New York City: Plenty of data left blue2noise iPad 2 Aug 18, 2012 08:47 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC