Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:25 PM   #1
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Lightbulb Anyone use the Note 2 as a data only "tablet" with a data plan?

Specifically on ATT, although I'd consider other carriers if it worked. I'm not ready to replace my ip5 with the Note 2, it's just too big as a phone. But I'd love to carry one around in addition to my ip5 as a "tablet", to use for internet, video, RDP into windows, etc.

I doubt ATT would let me add it for $10 to my mobile share plan, but has anyone done this? Absent this I'm thinking I could pop out my ipad SIM card which is on a $10 mobileshare plan and pop it into the Note 2 and change the APN settings for data, would this work?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:32 PM   #2
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
Specifically on ATT, although I'd consider other carriers if it worked. I'm not ready to replace my ip5 with the Note 2, it's just too big as a phone. But I'd love to carry one around in addition to my ip5 as a "tablet", to use for internet, video, RDP into windows, etc.

I doubt ATT would let me add it for $10 to my mobile share plan, but has anyone done this? Absent this I'm thinking I could pop out my ipad SIM card which is on a $10 mobileshare plan and pop it into the Note 2 and change the APN settings for data, would this work?
Why not just get a nexus 7 hspa+ or wait for the galaxy note 8 lte.
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:08 PM   #3
b166er
macrumors 68020

I wish they would allow it. But it would crush their margins, since you could just use skype and replace your phone with a data only plan. However if you do figure out a way let us know!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:16 PM   #4
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Why not just get a nexus 7 hspa+ or wait for the galaxy note 8 lte.
They are too big, I need something pocketable.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by b166er View Post
I wish they would allow it. But it would crush their margins, since you could just use skype and replace your phone with a data only plan. However if you do figure out a way let us know!
Hmm, but you can do this with any other ipad or tablet, but chances are people don't want to use those as phones I suppose. Does ATT explicitly not allow this?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:51 PM   #5
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by b166er View Post
Or even better use Google voice and get a real phone number with free calls and sms!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:28 PM   #6
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
They are too big, I need something pocketable.

----------

Hmm, but you can do this with any other ipad or tablet, but chances are people don't want to use those as phones I suppose. Does ATT explicitly not allow this?
They don't allow smartphones to have a non smartphone data plan. I know people have had success using International phones with cheaper data plans because AT&T sometimes can't identify the device by the imei. If you try to use an AT&T device then they probably won't let you add it as a tablet. Go to xda and see if anyone has tried this with the International Note 2.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:40 PM   #7
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigers03 View Post
They don't allow smartphones to have a non smartphone data plan. I know people have had success using International phones with cheaper data plans because AT&T sometimes can't identify the device by the imei. If you try to use an AT&T device then they probably won't let you add it as a tablet. Go to xda and see if anyone has tried this with the International Note 2.

Dang, TY for the info. So if I swapped my ipad SIM and got it to work what would ATT do? Oh well, I can always tether it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices