Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
My iphone 5 seems to be worse since the updated to 6.1. I don't think I am using my phone anymore than before, but it really seems to be going down faster. I never was getting past 40 or 50% before 6.0 then 6.1 I am going way past that. What did 6.1 do to cause this?

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
so, after several days of testing this is what i've gotten:

I. prior to removing the Photostream, Dropbox, and Evernote, i found drops of: (extrapolated standby endurance in parentheses)

1. 78 to 70% in 8 hours (100 hr endurance)
2. 70 to 60% in 9 hours (90 hr)

II. after turning off Photostream, (Evernote and Dropbox still logged in) i did only one test:

3. 80 to 73% in 9 hours (128 hr)

III. after turning off Photostream, Evernote, and Dropbox, four overnight tests

4. 100 to 99% in 10 hours (i don't think this is a fair measurement since it always stays at 100% for a while)
5. 30 to 24% in 10 hours (167 hr)*
6. 94 to 88% in 12 hours (200 hr)
7. 70 to 65% in 11 hours (220 hr)

* may have been using weak LTE signal that night rather than microcell

so, even with a bunch of uncertainty, i think i'm pretty convinced, i've isolated by battery drainers overnight. hopefully, i can selectively bring those three things back in, and determine what their roles are in my consumption. (i'm definitely going to use the OFF "enable LAN sync" from Dropbox at home and work)

Note: Apple specifies "Standby time" to be "up to 225 hours."

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
my Iphone 5 IOS 6.1 battery has been draining at an alamring rate.....

Seems like it will drop a few %s every few minutes if im using it and it is not attached to the charger

It drains most when it gets down below 30%

Ive seen it got from 17% to 10% then shut off.

This is very weird. Before my phone has always dropped sporadically down below 10% before shutting off once completely dead

anyone else notice this?:confused:

El Jefe

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Dallas, Texas
my Iphone 5 IOS 6.1 battery has been draining at an alamring rate.....

Seems like it will drop a few %s every few minutes if im using it and it is not attached to the charger

It drains most when it gets down below 30%

Ive seen it got from 17% to 10% then shut off.

This is very weird. Before my phone has always dropped sporadically down below 10% before shutting off once completely dead

anyone else notice this?:confused:

Same for me. I'm down in the 20% range after my normal day of use. Usually I'm in the 60-70% range. Never had battery issues before.

Alpi69

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
I had this bug a few weeks ago and did the Network Settings Reset trick.

It worked for a while.
I am on 6.1

Tonight it came back. Phone was dropping from 100 to zero in 8 hours standby.

My wife has the same problem since yesterday, She is on 6.0.2.

I have dropbox and evernote, she DOES NOT.
So while they might be reason they are not the only reason. We have both not added any new apps.

My wife updated Shazam and Facebook Apps. I did "update all" a few days ago. So maybe Shazam and/or Facebook Apps are (like Evernote and Dropbox) draining through some mechanism in the app. That would be an iOS problem and I hope Apple soon finds out.

ADD: we don´t have exchange mail.

Last edited:

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
My usage and standby have been the same value all day, increasing together.
Does that mean my ip5 isn't now going into standby? I used to get two days out of one charge, it now goes on charge every night...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 109

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Added work exchange account back with a different name and everything seems to be working better. Phone stays cool to touch too. Will follow up tomorrow, if issues come back.

The issue has not comeback, battery is doing very well. It looks like this issue is related to corrupt exchange accounts.

I recommend to anyone experiencing this issue to delete the exchange accounts they have 1 at a time and add them back with a different account description. If the battery starts acting better, then dont delete any other exchange accounts you may have. If the problem still exist repeat with the next exchange account you have, assuming you have multiple exchange accounts.

If the problem still exist, restore with a fresh iOS install and configure iPhone as new (do not restore from backup, yeah I know...it sucks).

----------

Does that mean my ip5 isn't now going into standby? I used to get two days out of one charge, it now goes on charge every night...

yes, it does mean your iPhone is not going into standby.

Do you have a exchange account? If so delete the account and add it back. Others, along with me have found a corrupt exchange account to be the culprit.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
The issue has not comeback, battery is doing very well. It looks like this issue is related to corrupt exchange accounts.

I recommend to anyone experiencing this issue to delete the exchange accounts they have 1 at a time and add them back with a different account description. If the battery starts acting better, then dont delete any other exchange accounts you may have. If the problem still exist repeat with the next exchange account you have, assuming you have multiple exchange accounts.

If the problem still exist, restore with a fresh iOS install and configure iPhone as new (do not restore from backup, yeah I know...it sucks).

----------

yes, it does mean your iPhone is not going into standby.

Do you have a exchange account? If so delete the account and add it back. Others, along with me have found a corrupt exchange account to be the culprit.

Gmail was added as exchange. I've done as suggested and will see tomorrow. Oddly iPad has decreased by 9% all day and that has the more email accounts (inc the gmail one). It's been on the same wifi also.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
All of you having battery life problems, check if you are running Skype and have it logged in all the time. Nearly every person I've ever heard from who has an iPhone with battery problems has been due to Skype being logged in all the time. Other VoIP apps can do this too.

Skype talks to its servers a lot. When on cellular data this means battery burn.

El Jefe

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Dallas, Texas
All of you having battery life problems, check if you are running Skype and have it logged in all the time. Nearly every person I've ever heard from who has an iPhone with battery problems has been due to Skype being logged in all the time. Other VoIP apps can do this too.

Skype talks to its servers a lot. When on cellular data this means battery burn.

This is all with no apps running in the switcher. Three people on my team at work had the exact same issues after upgrading to 6.1. Two 5s, one 4. Definitely an issue with iOS 6.1.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is all with no apps running in the switcher. Three people on my team at work had the exact same issues after upgrading to 6.1. Two 5s, one 4. Definitely an issue with iOS 6.1.

Skype registers as a VoIP app and runs as the equivalent of a "service". It is still running even if you "kill" it in the switcher. You have to go into Skype and disconnect, or give it a timeout so it disconnects after you don't run the app for that long.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
Skype registers as a VoIP app and runs as the equivalent of a "service". It is still running even if you "kill" it in the switcher. You have to go into Skype and disconnect, or give it a timeout so it disconnects after you don't run the app for that long.

same goes for things like Dropbox, from what i understand. if you are "logged in," it will still drain power if it's being pinged to sync files with a local computer.

it would be nice to compile a list of things that have services running in the background, and/or the ability to monitor/disable services within the iOS in some convenient way.

El Jefe

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Dallas, Texas
The Exchange tricked worked beautifully for all devices in our department that were having the issue. Still monitoring, but I've dropped to only 70% after 13-plus hours of normal use today.

husted

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I have battery issues on my iPhone 5. After some fiddling around with settings to no avail I found the culprit to be a single app.
Whenever the app was running the phone would drain the battery at an alarming rate.

The app hasn't been updated in close to a year so I think this must be a regression in iOS 6.1.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
more on Dropbox

so, i've brought Dropbox back into my mix of things running (ie, i am keeping logged in). even with "Enable LAN" disabled on my home Mac, i still see a noticeable difference in battery consumption between having myself logged in or not.

for the past two nights, i have seen similar drops:
7% in 10 hrs for both nights. that's not too bad, but 30-40% (depends on how you calculate it) greater background consumption in standby than without it running.

does anyone know of other settings in dropbox to make it more "idle"? i would love to be able to have it only update when i launch the app. sort of like manual fetch in Mail.

maybe it's time to shoot the dropbox folks an email...

to be fair, in the end, i'm talking about small potatoes here as it reduces my own real life battery range by about 10% over two days. but of course, that is 10% i'd like to keep in case i have a heavy usage day that hits me.

and yes, i know: this could all be avoided if i make it a habit of charging every night. yet, as a "lighter user," i'd like the option of not having to do that...

SisterRay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
UK
I have found that if I turn on wifi, it starts draining immediately % points dropping off in minutes. I have no apps running.

Any ideas what could be causing it?

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
I have found that if I turn on wifi, it starts draining immediately % points dropping off in minutes. I have no apps running.

Any ideas what could be causing it?

unfortunately, lots of things. lots of apps/services have preferences that allow data to be accessed only over wifi.

eg, NYTimes app for me.

try to make a list of apps that require data that would get updated and that may lead you to your culprit. (also go through your notifications list and keep it as short as possible)

----------

my battery life is amazing.. better than 6.0.2

did i say AMAZING?

compared to 6.0.2, 6.1 is much better than it. however 6.0.2 was horrible in comparison to 6.0 and 6.0.1 for me. (6.1 is about on par with those two earlier versions)

Tedya

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
If you are experiencing battery drain and you are running MS Exchange, syncing an Exchange calendar, turn off the calendar.

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
I just upgraded my iPhone 4 via iTunes to 6.1 and the battery-life is awfull. I already disabled location services and other stuff, even removed some launch-daemons. I lost 21% from 8am to 11am and all I did was web-browsing and reading some RSS-feeds. This took 20 minutes at max.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010

this is a bug and happened to my ip4 wayy back in 5.1.1

to fix this just run the battery all the way down, till it shuts off and then charge your phone all the way back up to 100% with a plugged in sign.

My battery life has been pretty awesome with the 6.1 update

i get an average of 7-8 hours of usage and over a day worth of standby. il upload a picture soon of me being at 6hours and 40mins at 10%.

if it hits 5% i can get another 40 minutes or an hour, im just averaging what ive seen.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
I'm not sure if its a fluke, but my 5 has been getting amazing life this entire week. Might be because I'm mainly using it for text messages on an app other than Message, with some use for email and web surfing as well as apps like Tapatalk. I'm getting more than 9 hours on mainly LTE. Don't want to jinx it, but I'm very impressed that I barely hit 20% before I charge it for the night. That's on more than 15 hours of use including standby time. Hope it maintains this beat.

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
I just don't get it. A loss of 53% within 9 hours while I used the phone for about 40 minutes at a max.

GPS/Push/some launchd/... disabled.

My Cydia-packages:
-AdBlocker
-AnyLockApp
-BrowserChanger
-f.lux
-FolderEnhancer
-InfiniDock
-IntelliScreenX 6
-iPhoneDelivery
-SwipeSelection

It was fine with iOS5.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Take note: no wifi or data usage on this phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0319[1].PNG
    IMG_0319[1].PNG
    34.7 KB · Views: 113

Danyx

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
U.K.
Take note: no wifi or data usage on this phone.

With 6.0.2 I had best result , but with 6.1, ....it's awful.
Same phone same settings.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-10 at 08.01.51.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-10 at 08.01.51.png
    196.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-10 at 08.09.49.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-10 at 08.09.49.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.