Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
On the GF's IP4S, I've "restored" it iOS 6.1 B5 aka GM Build and she told me how dreadful the batt drain was. Normally when she's back from work it's around 50%, after this update she said she didn't even do anything all day and it was at 12% <--- :mad:

I've restored her IP4S to the public build of iOS 6.1 and made sure to load the back up prior to Beta 5, everything is now fixed and back to normal. I never update the iOS updates, always restored them so I have a backed up image to fallback on in case something really bad happens like this.

My suggestions to ppl having the batter drains on the IP4S ...

1) Restore the IP4S from newly downloaded IPSW of iOS 6.1 and load a back up that was from 6.0.1.

or

2) If you don't have a back up; manually pull all the data and photos out w/ whatever 3rd software you use, erase all settings & data and start all fresh as a new user. Place all the data back in, such as the high scores files of games that doesn't iCloud sync EX: Angry Birds and etc.

Good Luck to all and I hope these methods will help you, as they did for me.

wombat94

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2010
For anyone having iOS battery issues that suddenly appear, with the particular symptom of your Usage time and Standby time always being equal (or nearly equal), I recommend reading the following blog.

http://snnyc.com/2012/12/iphone-data-leak/

I had the sudden, really fast battery drain while on standby. It didn't coincide with the upgrade to iOS 6.1, but showed up about 2 days later.

It turns out the culprit is a corrupt exchange email account profile on the device.

Deleting the two exchange profiles on my phone and recreating them (a process that only took about 5 minutes) completely cured my battery issues.

I'm not saying it is a cure for all battery issues, but it is a simple, easy thing to do and just might take care of the problem for some of you.

Ted

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
Oh ******* it! The problem seems to affect my iPad too! I've lost 20% battery overnight on my ipad! WHATEHELL!!! And it's the wifi only model, it never happens, usually i actually never lost battery overnight, but now... argh!!

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
For anyone having iOS battery issues that suddenly appear, with the particular symptom of your Usage time and Standby time always being equal (or nearly equal), I recommend reading the following blog.

I had the sudden, really fast battery drain while on standby. It didn't coincide with the upgrade to iOS 6.1, but showed up about 2 days later.

It turns out the culprit is a corrupt exchange email account profile on the device.

Deleting the two exchange profiles on my phone and recreating them (a process that only took about 5 minutes) completely cured my battery issues.

I'm not saying it is a cure for all battery issues, but it is a simple, easy thing to do and just might take care of the problem for some of you.

Ted

I had this problem in the past, but now my battery just sucks anyway. Albeit I have an exchange account, my usage time doesn't match the stand by time.

But anyone knows where i can see the logs from my iphone and ipad?

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003

Ted

I tried this, and it does not seem to work.

The only thing that works is when I disable cellular data.

Now I am trying the "reset all network settings options", I will let you guys know how that goes a little later. If that does not work, then I will be restoring the OS via iTunes and setting up the iPhone after that as new. Not fun, but I guess I need something to do during the Super Bowl.

I don't want to change the topic,but I wonder if this is related. Are people with the battery issue, people on AT&T or Verizon (GSM vs CDMA) in regards to iPhone 5?

For people with AT&T iPhone 5, did you see the LTE crashing and resetting a lot on iOS 6.0, 6.0.1 and 6.0.2? I would see the cellular radio / data crash and reset a lot and I wonder if that is happening with iOS 6.1, but now it drains my battery instead of resetting?

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
I tried this, and it does not seem to work.

The only thing that works is when I disable cellular data.

Now I am trying the "reset all network settings options", I will let you guys know how that goes a little later. If that does not work, then I will be restoring the OS via iTunes and setting up the iPhone after that as new. Not fun, but I guess I need something to do during the Super Bowl.

I don't want to change the topic,but I wonder if this is related. Are people with the battery issue, people on AT&T or Verizon (GSM vs CDMA) in regards to iPhone 5?

For people with AT&T iPhone 5, did you see the LTE crashing and resetting a lot on iOS 6.0, 6.0.1 and 6.0.2? I would see the cellular radio / data crash and reset a lot and I wonder if that is happening with iOS 6.1, but now it drains my battery instead of resetting?

So at 9:48 AM my iPhone was at 86%
It is now 10:39 AM and my iPhone is 67%
The iPhone is warm to the touch. Doing the "reset all network settings options" has not helped.

The usage / standby time are exactly the same 1 hour, 35 minutes. Cellular usage is 4.5MB sent and 2.3MB received. I reset cellular usage after resetting network options.

I have two exchange accounts, had them since the iPhone 4 came out in the US, never had a battery issue. One exchange is gmail, the other is work. I will delete one of them and see if that helps. First one, work account.

Note, I already tried the delete and recreate exchange accounts a couple days ago, the current exchange accounts on my iPhone 5 should not be corrupt. Also, on my iPad 2 Wifi, I have the same two exchange accounts configured and do not have the standby battery issue. I think something is wrong with the cellular radio on the iPhone 5 GSM.

afterafx

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
California
Did DFU restore to 6.1 two days ago, iPhone 5

I'm currently at 44%
Usage: 3 hours, 31 minutes
Standby 18 hours, 27 minutes

Would say its too bad. Thought I'd chime in with some comparable info.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
So at 9:48 AM my iPhone was at 86%
It is now 10:39 AM and my iPhone is 67%
The iPhone is warm to the touch. Doing the "reset all network settings options" has not helped.

The usage / standby time are exactly the same 1 hour, 35 minutes. Cellular usage is 4.5MB sent and 2.3MB received. I reset cellular usage after resetting network options.

I have two exchange accounts, had them since the iPhone 4 came out in the US, never had a battery issue. One exchange is gmail, the other is work. I will delete one of them and see if that helps. First one, work account.

Note, I already tried the delete and recreate exchange accounts a couple days ago, the current exchange accounts on my iPhone 5 should not be corrupt. Also, on my iPad 2 Wifi, I have the same two exchange accounts configured and do not have the standby battery issue. I think something is wrong with the cellular radio on the iPhone 5 GSM.

It appears to be something with my work Exchange account. I kept the gmail exchange account and deleted my work exchange account.
10:55 AM had 64% battery
12:06 PM have 58% battery (a lot better)
Usage: 2 hours, 1 minutes
Standby: 2 hours, 59 minutes (not the same anymore)
Cellular Usage
181 KB sent
492 KB received

I will add back work exchange email with calendar, contacts.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
Limiting ad tracking, disabling diagnostic news sent to Apple, set email push/fetch to one hour or beyond, etc

Having GPS and other radios off when not needed

I did the GPS and diag last night,I already did the others you mentioned, so we'll see how it does later today.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
Two more data points since i disabled Evernote and Dropbox (again, zero email fetching overnight)

10 hours: 30% to 24%

12 hours: 94% to 88%

so, this seems more reasonable in terms of what one would expect for standby time (i was seeing 10% or greater sometimes in just 8 hours).

first test extrapolates to 167 hrs, second extrapolates to 200 hrs. (spec is "up to 225 hrs")

i have always found my battery drains slower on the top half than the second. nevertheless, the 2nd number is encouraging since i already used it some. it always takes some time to drop off the 100% (as evidence the other night only dropping to 99% after 10 hours on standby)

i'm going to keep this configurations for a few more overnight tests, and assuming i reach some sort of constant behavior, i'll reintroduce evernote, photostream and dropbox, separately. i am hoping and praying that the last of these was the culprit, but only because i had "enable LAN" on the mac at home which supposedly can cause significant phone battery drain as the mac tries to query the phone regularly.

stay tuned ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Better then ever. Verizon 4S

5y9y5emy.jpg

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
I'm still on 6.0.1 on my 5, usually on wifi and these are results. This is great usage compared to my previous 4S. A bit hesitant to upgrade.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    108.7 KB · Views: 109

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
It appears to be something with my work Exchange account. I kept the gmail exchange account and deleted my work exchange account.
10:55 AM had 64% battery
12:06 PM have 58% battery (a lot better)
Usage: 2 hours, 1 minutes
Standby: 2 hours, 59 minutes (not the same anymore)
Cellular Usage
181 KB sent
492 KB received

I will add back work exchange email with calendar, contacts.

Added work exchange account back with a different name and everything seems to be working better. Phone stays cool to touch too. Will follow up tomorrow, if issues come back.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
If you don't mind losing some data, such as messages you've received, then I suggest you restore it as a new iPhone. Your battery life should increase drastically from what you've posted.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
If you don't mind losing some data, such as messages you've received, then I suggest you restore it as a new iPhone. Your battery life should increase drastically from what you've posted.

I might give that a try before I jailbreak it . I hope it does help. If I didn't have the Mophie battery case I'd be crying everyday lol.

Stonefly

Contributor
Dec 26, 2009
Nova Scotia
The battery in my iPhone 4 wasn't lasting long at all after the update. Would barely last the day. All I did to improve mine is let the battery drain completely and let the phone shut down. Plugged it in and charged to 100% now it's better than it ever was.

IMG_0064.PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.