Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:10 PM   #26
johncrab
macrumors 6502

You might very well think that but I couldn't possibly comment.
johncrab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:17 PM   #27
peterh988
macrumors regular

NCIS:LA (shown here in the UK on Sunday) must have had the most blatant product placements this week, the guy pulls out his tablet, flicks the kickstand open (just like on the ads) then pulls out his keyboard/cover thingy, snaps it onto tablet, (just like in the ads). All it needed was for him to say "Microsoft surface" in his next line to complete the advert.

There's a extraordinary amount of "uploading to my skydive" lines on that show, too.
peterh988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:25 PM   #28
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Dear Apple: if you'd like to offer me some free stuff for Product Placement, I'd be happy to showcase a 27" inch iMac in my home office...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:37 PM   #29
bbbelly
macrumors newbie

seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGagnon View Post
This could have just as easily been my house. Between my gf and I we have (I don't care to get all the specs so I'll just put the year we got them as the most recent iteration).

15" MacBook Pro with Retina (2012)
15" MacBook Pro (2010)
15" MacBook Pro (2008)
13" MacBook Pro (2012)
13" MacBook Air (2012)
iPad
iPad Mini
iPhone 5
iPhone 4s
2 iPhone 4
iPod Touch (2012)
iPod Nano (2010)
Apple TV (3rd gen)
what for?
bbbelly is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:05 PM   #30
CGagnon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbelly View Post
what for?
I need a lot of devices because I am a developer in my spare time. As for all of the laptops, one is a work computer if that helps
MP, Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon/64/2048 SSD
CGagnon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:26 PM   #31
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesith View Post
It's pretty common to find that many apple devices on a desk. Doesn't stick out as much as if it was all Samsung.
What?
winston1236 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:41 PM   #32
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formul View Post
Even though I love Apple there are just too many of their products in this show. It almost feels like an Apple ad and they don't even bother covering up the logos like in other shows. To be fair they are not shy about other product placement as well, the way underwood (avid gamer) reacts to PS Vita is just outright advertising

btw the show is just fantastic all the way to the last episode - releasing the whole season in one day is another great thing about it
I just saw this episode and I started laughing at how ridiculously obvious it is. It cost $50m for Netflix to produce one season of this show, so I guess they have little choice.
larrylaffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:59 PM   #33
ksgant
macrumors 6502a

Actually, I think it's the opposite about the product placement on House of Cards. I was commenting to my wife that they're pretty democratic on the devices. Yes, you see Macs and iPhones, but also Blackberries and Dells and other devices that are non-Apple related.

Usually when a show like this hits on a network, they're locked in with one vendor and they're pretty prominently placed. This show, it's all over the place.

Have you people even seen this show? Or are you only focusing on when you see a Apple product? You know, when I was a kid and we went on long car trips, we would count the number of Volkswagon Beetles you'd see on the road. Soon, it seemed that's ALL you saw because you'd be looking for them. Is that the case here? I mean, one of the main characters doesn't even use a Mac to write on. She has an iPhone, yes, but then again, so do a ton of people.

This is a non-story.

2011 16gig iPhone 4s
2012 16gig iPad "3rd Generation"
2012 27" iMac i5 w/16Gigs of RAM
ksgant is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:01 PM   #34
ProVideo
macrumors 6502

This shouldn't be surprising considering David Fincher's involvement. He directed the 3G commercial (link). He directed Nine Inch Nails' "Only" video which was basically a MacBook Pro commercial (link). There was the Apple display being blown up in "Fight Club", which Apple approved. Even going back to 1990, Fincher had a Mac in "Cradle of Love" (link). There are likely more examples of Apple products in his work from over the years that I'm missing.

He obviously has an affinity for Apple products. Aside from being a great director, this is one of the main reasons I hope he is able to direct the authorized Steve Jobs film.
ProVideo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:05 PM   #35
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
This could have just as easily been my house. Between my gf and I we have (I don't care to get all the specs so I'll just put the year we got them as the most recent iteration).

15" MacBook Pro (2010)
15" MacBook Pro (2008)
13" MacBook Pro (2012)
13" MacBook Air (2012)
iPad
iPad Mini
iPhone 5
iPhone 4s
2 iPhone 4
iPod Touch (2012)
iPod Nano (2010)
Apple TV (3rd gen)
Maybe next you can buy a wedding ring, may be more impressive
iRCL is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:14 PM   #36
Steve J0bs
macrumors regular

I could have sworn I witnessed Frank Underwood using a blackberry.
Steve J0bs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:21 PM   #37
CGagnon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
That's next she wants to finish nursing school first
MP, Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon/64/2048 SSD
CGagnon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:40 PM   #38
SdeCarolis
macrumors newbie

There are a lot of reports indicating that Samsung (and other manufacturers) have great market shares. However, wherever I go, all I see are iDevices...
SdeCarolis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:43 PM   #39
applesith
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
What?
You are more likely to see someone have Apple brand devices across all their needs than Samsung or some other brand. I'm not saying many have that many devices on their desk, but they are gonna be Apple themed.
applesith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:45 PM   #40
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
[...] Apple's products have long been featured in movies and television shows...
I just hope that Jeff Goldblum's "PowerBook XXXX" (it was a prototype with no number) is somewhere safe. You just never know when you'll need to fend off another space alien attack.

We must always be vigilant. Always ready. Watch the skies!

Quote:
[...] House of Cards is the first program to be commissioned by the streaming movie and TV show service for exclusive broadcast on Netflix.
More proof that Netflix is trying to become HBO faster than HBO becomes Netflix.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:58 PM   #41
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Slow comment day?
Every time
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:00 PM   #42
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

The office uses almost all apple products
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:28 PM   #43
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
You are more likely to see someone have Apple brand devices across all their needs than Samsung or some other brand. I'm not saying many have that many devices on their desk, but they are gonna be Apple themed.
Well, also, since we're on an Apple site, it's probably safe to say we are owners and fans of Apple devices, so we're going to notice whenever other people use the same devices.

I'm sure there are Samsung device owners who go "Ooh, Samsung!" whenever they see those products on TV.

I drive a Subaru, and I notice every time another one drives by me on the road. Whereas if you don't drive a Subaru, you are probably far less likely than I to notice them, and probably more likely to notice whatever brand of car you drive.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:46 PM   #44
melendezest
macrumors 6502a

That's it. I'm not watching this show. It is totally unrealistic, because it shows people using iPads at work, and possibly for work. Since we all know that you need a "real" device to get some work done, the suspension of disbelief is lost for me.

----------

Quote:

15" MacBook Pro (2010)
15" MacBook Pro (2008)
13" MacBook Pro (2012)
13" MacBook Air (2012)
iPad
iPad Mini
iPhone 5
iPhone 4s
2 iPhone 4
iPod Touch (2012)
iPod Nano (2010)
Apple TV (3rd gen)
Yikes! I thought I was bad.

So, let me know when you're ready to sell some of that....
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:52 PM   #45
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:

Apple's products have long been featured in movies and television shows, despite Apple's claims that the company does not pay for such placements.
Few to no companies pay for placement outside of giving free product. Until recent years it was illegal for TV shows to receive money for placement. So companies would donate product to prop houses especially studio based ones and hope shows would use it. And if they saw a product being used they might call and offer more 'since you like our stuff' especially if it was the pilot and they could get a screener before full filming started.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh988 View Post
NCIS:LA (shown here in the UK on Sunday) must have had the most blatant product placements this week, the guy pulls out his tablet, flicks the kickstand open (just like on the ads) then pulls out his keyboard/cover thingy, snaps it onto tablet, (just like in the ads). All it needed was for him to say "Microsoft surface" in his next line to complete the advert.

There's a extraordinary amount of "uploading to my skydive" lines on that show, too.
Sherlock using a Surface in the bathroom. Says it all to me.

What's more fun is that for a long time it was considered a no go to show logos in movies and TV shows. Which is why you'd have faked UI, company stickers etc. there are some great examples of hiding the candy

My fav is still gossip girls

charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:05 PM   #46
jtp098
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
Same thought I had... or learn to use ebay or even better donate half that stuff for a good cause....
jtp098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:12 PM   #47
peterh988
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

What's more fun is that for a long time it was considered a no go to show logos in movies and TV shows. Which is why you'd have faked UI, company stickers etc. there are some great examples of hiding the candy
What struck me about the NCIS thing that it wasn't acting with a 'thing' whilst talking to someone, the whole scene was about, and only about, opening the kickstand and clicking on the keyboard.

Over here in the UK, programmes have to display a letter 'P' in the credits to indicate some companies have paid to have their products featured. It used to be the case that (especially the BBC) would, as you say, carefully place all the items so labels could not be seen, I noticed this only at the weekend when a show from 1975 had every can in the shop rotated so the labels couldn't be read.

I think the most extreme example was the cartoon 'Top Cat" which was called 'Boss Cat' by the BBC, as top cat was a cat food brand. Pretty silly though, as the continuity announcer would say, "and now lets see what's happening with Boss Cat" to be immediately followed by the opening line of the theme tune "TOP CAT!......."
peterh988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:19 PM   #48
theluggage
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formul View Post
btw the show is just fantastic all the way to the last episode - releasing the whole season in one day is another great thing about it
If you're in withdrawal, the BBC adapted the same book years ago.

Can't remember if there were any Macs in it.

You might think that you could download it from somewhere on the internet, but I couldn't possibly comment (or didn't that catchphrase make it into the US version?).
theluggage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:55 PM   #49
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
It's pretty common to find that many apple devices on a desk.
Yeah. I thought that 3 iPhones per person was fairly normal too. I guess that we're not within the potential customer base for this particular campaign.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:32 PM   #50
likeavaliant
macrumors regular

It seems to me that being an independent show on Netflix without any commercials, that the product placement for multiple brands and products is probably paid for, thus it's quite heavy. Off the top of my head here are some examples:

+Obviously the Apple placement (iphones, ipads, macs)
+Sony Vita (quite an obvious placement, "OH is that a PSP Vita? I have one of these, it's great, etc.)
+Call of Duty (or whatever video game it is that he is playing on his nice, big flatscreen, which I didn't even think to look at who made it)
+Blackberry (As mentioned, I'm not that far into the show yet, or I just haven't noticed.)
+Enterprise (He rents a really slick looking car from Enterprise. Once again, it could have been obvious, but I'm not actually studying the show; it's just another placement I had noticed.)

Subliminal advertising is pretty strong in this show. And because it's an internet based show, it doesn't have to follow the same regulations as one on cable.
likeavaliant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion