Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yeah I don't know why but the Dell Inspiron 14 inch actually fairs quite well when you're playing HD movies. But the MacBook Air looks like... Oh wait

we're talking about iPhones nevermind

Now I know you're high or something. The Dell Inspiron 14" has the same resolution as the 11" MBA, 1366 x 768. Meaning imagines would look crisper (i.e. would have a harder time seeing the pixels) on the MBA. Hell even the 13" MBA has a 1440 x 900 which still allows it have a higher PPI than the Inspiron 14".

But you're going from the Retina MBP saying it isn't good enough, then you jump to judging the MBA saying it looks worse than than this:

Dell_Inspiron_14z_June_2012_35332511_01_620x433.jpg

overly glossy screen. You're all over the place, dude. You don't even keep on the same topic. As much as you despise Apple's screens, you sure get defensive when people bad mouth Apple around you.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1534713/

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Go get the Android phone of your choice. Download a very popular app such as ESPN Fantasy anything (football, baseball, basketball, whatever). This app (like MANY others on the Android Store) was CLEARLY created to be run on MUCH smaller screen. It doesn't matter if the phone you're running these apps on is 100" with a billion pixels, at the end of the day, the app is stretched and looks terrible. A good analogy would be like if you bought the newest and greatest LED TV with the highest number of pixels possible, but the majority of the shows you were able to watch were in SD and just stretched to fit the dimensions of your TV. You might have the biggest E-Peen and the most pixels in your screen, but it will still LOOK terrible and therefore BE terrible.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Go get the Android phone of your choice. Download a very popular app such as ESPN Fantasy anything (football, baseball, basketball, whatever). This app (like MANY others on the Android Store) was CLEARLY created to be run on MUCH smaller screen. It doesn't matter if the phone you're running these apps on is 100" with a billion pixels, at the end of the day, the app is stretched and looks terrible. A good analogy would be like if you bought the newest and greatest LED TV with the highest number of pixels possible, but the majority of the shows you were able to watch were in SD and just stretched to fit the dimensions of your TV. You might have the biggest E-Peen and the most pixels in your screen, but it will still LOOK terrible and therefore BE terrible.

I just downloaded the football version, and aside from the fuzzy thumbnails, the text is absolutely clear and in no way is this app terrible to look at.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359682097791.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359682097791.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 111

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I just downloaded the football version, and aside from the fuzzy thumbnails, the text is absolutely clear and in no way is this app terrible to look at.

The text is readable and the app is usable - two points I never mentioned. The graphics looks terrible so my point was, and remains; what is the point of having the "best" or the "most """HD""" screen on the market if the graphics look like SD would look on an HDTV (actually WORSE!)

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
The text is readable and the app is usable - two points I never mentioned. The graphics looks terrible so my point was, and remains; what is the point of having the "best" or the "most """HD""" screen on the market if the graphics look like SD would look on an HDTV (actually WORSE!)

The thing is, your statements are way out of proportion. The app is not terrible, not even close to terrible to look at. You also mention that many popular Android apps are like this, which is simply not true. Most major and popular apps are updated and optimized to fit higher resolution screens (Facebook, Twitter, Temple Run 2, etc. I am just trying to clear your generalization that "many popular apps" in Android are not optimized for higher resolutions and therefore "terrible".

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
The thing is, your statements are way out of proportion. The app is not terrible, not even close to terrible to look at. You also mention that many popular Android apps are like this, which is simply not true. Most major and popular apps are updated and optimized to fit higher resolution screens (Facebook, Twitter, Temple Run 2, etc. I am just trying to clear your generalization that "many popular apps" in Android are not optimized for higher resolutions and therefore "terrible".

Well obviously the MAJOR apps like Facebook and Twitter will be designed professionally for most major phones. It is no secret that most Android apps are designed on one phone (probably the GSIII or the Nexus) and then simply stretched to fit larger screens. Get a Note II (or go to the store and look at one) and download any apps but the most popular - they look terrible.

The above is my opinion, but the point you are missing is that since Android has SO many phones and screen sizes, ALL apps are not designed to work on every phone. This results in stretched or skewed visuals which make the screen pixels or "HD-ness" irrelevant. I had a GSIII for 13 days, used it every day for hours and I kept wishing for the crisp lines, graphics, and overall smoothness of iOS and all the apps I had for it. The GSIII MAY have had a "better" screen in terms of pixels, but in actual use (all that really matters), it doesn't.

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
Some people are so emotional about things that do not matter.

No, you cannot see the individual pixels of a retina display at normal viewing distance. If you say you can you are a ********ter.

So what if the iPhone 5 isn't HD. It's still nicer than the crap the competition put out.

Just don't get so emotionally involved! It's pathetic.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I feel like throwing this in even though the chances are this has been said ad nauseum:

HD is generally accepted to be 720p or greater. The iPhone 5 isn't that. And that should be the end of that story. But apparently not even, 200 posts later.

Also, this whole thread seems to be mixing in discussions of pixel density and display resolution. That guy comparing lines on a screenshot of a video, really takes the cake. A higher resolution screen has more detail! Stop the presses!

Remember this people: pixels are points of information. More pixels = more information. End of discussion.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I feel like throwing this in even though the chances are this has been said ad nauseum:

HD is generally accepted to be 720p or greater. The iPhone 5 isn't that. And that should be the end of that story. But apparently not even, 200 posts later.

Also, this whole thread seems to be mixing in discussions of pixel density and display resolution. That guy comparing lines on a screenshot of a video, really takes the cake. A higher resolution screen has more detail! Stop the presses!

Remember this people: pixels are points of information. More pixels = more information. End of discussion.
Indeed and the iPhone 5 screen is plenty good enough for the job.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Until the least expensive cameras record HD video like Avatar on Blu-Ray, this thread is retarded.

There's so much crappy "high definition" video out there that debating whether a HiDPI display has some arbitrary number denoting its vertical lines of resolution or not is pointless.

As long as it's 16:9 and you can't see the pixels from where you are, it's good enough.

The only point that can be debated here is how well does Android make use of those extra pixels in terms of UI.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
#1- No of course you cant tell a difference, :rolleyes:, you are an iphone 5 owner correct, lol

#2- you are correct, on a tiny 4 inch screen it isnt any good for video, however a 5 inch or 5.5 inch screen would be at least 4 times better to watch the same video.

And then you can't hold your phone to make a phone call.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Some people are so emotional about things that do not matter.

No, you cannot see the individual pixels of a retina display at normal viewing distance. If you say you can you are a ********ter.

So what if the iPhone 5 isn't HD. It's still nicer than the crap the competition put out.

Just don't get so emotionally involved! It's pathetic.

Well, it has been bugging me for a while now about the term "retina display" actually having meaning. If it all just go to stay that retina is not HD then what's the point? And in that case, If Apple's products are collectively have different resolutions How do you determine which is the best retina display in a sense?

I think this all just goes to say that there very well could be phones out there with better resolution than the iPhone retina display or not.

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
Well, it has been bugging me for a while now about the term "retina display" actually having meaning. If it all just go to stay that retina is not HD then what's the point? And in that case, If Apple's products are collectively have different resolutions How do you determine which is the best retina display in a sense?

I think this all just goes to say that there very well could be phones out there with better resolution than the iPhone retina display or not.

Can we all agree that higher resolution/pixel density doesn't necessarily mean it is a higher quality screen.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Can we all agree that higher resolution/pixel density doesn't necessarily mean it is a higher quality screen.

No. No we cannot. Apple has to convince the masses again that it's screen is superior. I always wondered why you didn't get the real HD effect when you watched HD movies on the iPhone

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No. No we cannot. Apple has to convince the masses again that it's screen is superior. I always wondered why you didn't get the real HD effect when you watched HD movies on the iPhone
What exactly is this "real HD effect"?

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
What exactly is this "real HD effect"?

You've watched an HD movie right?

Anyone who's seen a 1080p movie can tell you. We're just so used to having that level of clarity, sharpness, and detail.

Apple does not include BLU Ray players on its Macs. The iPhone not having an HD display is definitely hurting it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You've watched an HD movie right?

Anyone who's seen a 1080p movie can tell you. We're just so used to having that level of clarity, sharpness, and detail.

Apple does not include BLU Ray players on its Macs. The iPhone not having an HD display is definitely hurting it.
Assuming I'm watching actual 1080p content, it seems rather clear/sharp/detailed on an iPhone screen--no noticeable difference between that and watching that content on TV (aside from the non-relevant part that the TV would have a physically larger screen).

And how exactly is not having a technically-HD display is hurting the iPhone? :confused:

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Assuming I'm watching actual 1080p content, it seems rather clear/sharp/detailed on an iPhone screen--no noticeable difference between that and watching that content on TV (aside from the non-relevant part that the TV would have a physically larger screen).

And how exactly is not having a technically-HD display is hurting the iPhone? :confused:

Look, the iPhone just doesn't have an HD display.

3015062728_6b27f9a6ae.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Look, the iPhone just doesn't have an HD display.

I don't think I ever said that it did.

That said, as this whole thread basically demonstrates, it doesn't really seem that anything is actually missing just because the term "HD" (which is essentially simply resolution based) might not technically apply.

As for the whole posting thing, as the saying goes, "physician, heal thyself".

Last edited:

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London

Convincing the masses is simply a matter of using the iPhone.

And hang on a moment, so what you are saying is a screen with the highest pixel density must be the best screen around. Stop being pigheaded.

----------

That said, as this whole thread basically demonstrates, it doesn't really seem that anything is actually missing just because the term "HD" (which is essentially simply resolution based) might not technically apply.

I think he's trying to convince himself that there's an argument. No on has said the iPhone is HD, people are just saying they like it and have no problems with it.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012

This is not the thread to try to disprove the concept of HD video. You'd be crazy.
The iPhone 4S is even worse, with a pixel count of 960 x 640 , you can't watch high definition videos on that. A retina display is not going to help that fact. And with 1136 x 640, you still don't have enough resolution to make it high definition. It would help if people stopped trying to confuse others with the whole retina nonsense. If it's not high definition, it's not high definition. End of discussion.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
This is not the thread to try to disprove the concept of HD video. You'd be crazy.
The iPhone 4S is even worse, with a pixel count of 960 x 640 , you can't watch high definition videos on that. A retina display is not going to help that fact. And with 1136 x 640, you still don't have enough resolution to make it high definition. It would help if people stopped trying to confuse others with the whole retina nonsense. If it's not high definition, it's not high definition. End of discussion.

http://news.yahoo.com/display-expert-smartphones-1080p-resolutions-won-t-look-171307554.html

There’s a new wave of smartphones or “phablets” such as the HTC’s (2498) 5-inch J Butterfly that will have screen resolutions that top out at 1080p resolution, double that of today’s 720p resolution smartphones. With the added resolution, phone makers are going to boast about how photos and videos are sharper and clearer, and how visually, you’ll be able to see more. But unless you’ve got perfect 20/20 or have the screen pressed up against your eyeballs, you probably won’t be able to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p on such a small device, says Dr. Raymond Soneira, president and CEO of DisplayMate.

In an ArsTechnica interview, Dr. Soneira said that most people won’t be able to notice the added sharpness that a 1080p resolution would bring to their smartphones because photos and videos are spread over multiple pixels, and thus are still “fuzzy” no matter what the resolution is.

“Even the tiniest image detail in a photograph is always spread over more than one pixel. The image detail is never perfectly aligned with the pixel structure of the display,” said Dr. Soneira. ”For ordinary viewing of videos, 1920×1080 is really not going to make a visual difference.”

Not only that, but as you hold the smartphone further away from your eyes, the sharpness is reduced, just as it is when you sit further away from an HDTV. Even for people with 20/20 vision, Dr. Soneira says a 1080p resolution would be wasted because most people’s eyes “can’t resolve sharpness above 229 [pixels per inch].”

However, Dr. Soneira does point to one advantage a 1080p smartphone would have over 720p and lower devices: more breathing room for user interface elements such as buttons and text. For example, a higher resolution would allow for more pixels of a website to appear or more words in an email.

And just because Dr. Soneira is saying 1080p won’t really make a big difference doesn’t mean smartphone makers won’t push it as a selling point. They will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.