Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
The one person in that thread that actually knows what they are talking about says downscaling algorithms are more bearable then upscaling, which is correct. They also said you can get less aliasing but they failed to mention the other negative effects like artifacts which i have seen personally on my old 720p LCD tv which don't appear with the same source material on my new 1080p tv.

Upscaling is obviously worse because it pretty much just has to stereochemistry the image, which creates a blurry picture and will add artifacts. But anyway we are really talking about slight indecencies to videos, that may or may not occur, which are barely noticeable. I honestly would rather just enjoy the film, rather than if it has artifacts due to downscaling. Let's just put this one to rest.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Remember, Apple uses the "Retina Display" marketing term, which really describes ppi, or pixels per inch.

Remember, 720p and 1080p are terms used to describe TV viewing from long distances... that is why they were made up. The farther away you sit from a TV, the less resolution you need on your TV. That is why new 4K TV's need to be at least 75'' for consumers to notice a different... any smaller and you wouldn't even be able to see the 4K resolution!

Actually, Apple uses the term "Retina" as marketing jargon to describe ppi relative to viewing distance.

720p and 1080p are terms used to describe lines of horizontal pixels. While I agree that the father away you sit from a TV, the less resolution you need, that is not why the terms were made up.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Actually, Apple uses the term "Retina" as marketing jargon to describe ppi relative to viewing distance.

720p and 1080p are terms used to describe lines of horizontal pixels. While I agree that the father away you sit from a TV, the less resolution you need, that is not why the terms were made up.

Vertical ;)

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Since you're too lazy to try for yourself here you go. Compare the two.

Here's a screen grab from my friends HTC One X.

Here. Try this one. Screen capture from a similar moment on an HTC One X with native 720p resolution.

You are wrong again. It was you that was too lazy to provide screenshots for your own videos and expect us to comb through your videos frame by frame to find what you should provide. When you are trying to convince us of your own arguments, you might want to put some effort into it.

Even now, you somehow have two different cropped areas (top of the biker) in your screenshots when I told you that you need to show the full video of the same frame.

But since you insist, I will throw you a bone. There are obvious artifacts between your two screenshots:

Your iPhone 5 screen grab:
8396172845_f80a0835ac_o.png

Your HTC One X screen grab with 720p native resolution:
attachment.php

Look at the road surface that biker is on. Both to the rear and to the front of the biker in the iPhone 5 screen grab shows clumped lines against the grey road surface, much like the clumping we saw in the proper test image I provided previously. There are many obvious dark line splotches on the road surface in your iPhone 5 screen grab that is non-existent on the 720p native screen grab. Also, if you look at the lines underneath the two Yamalube logos, it is obvious that they are sharper in the 720p native screen grab and there is more clumping going on in the downgraded iPhone 5 screen grab.

Therefore, I have once again conclusively proved that the iPhone 5 screen is inferior for watching HD 720p videos and it introduces visible display artifacts because it is missing 200,000 pixels. I have proved this using both my own evidence and evidence you provided.

Case closed.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
[/COLOR]
You are wrong again. It was you that was too lazy to provide screenshots for your own videos and expect us to comb through your videos frame by frame to find what you should provide. When you are trying to convince us of your own arguments, you might want to put some effort into it.

Even now, you somehow have two different cropped areas (top of the biker) in your screenshots when I told you that you need to show the full video of the same frame.

But since you insist, I will throw you a bone. There are obvious artifacts between your two screenshots:

Look at the road surface that biker is on. Both to the rear and to the front of the biker in the iPhone 5 screen grab shows clumped lines against the grey road surface, much like the clumping we saw in the proper test image I provided previously. There are many obvious dark line splotches on the road surface in your iPhone 5 screen grab that is non-existent on the 720p native screen grab. Also, if you look at the lines underneath the two Yamalube logos, it is obvious that they are sharper in the 720p native screen grab and there is more clumping going on in the downgraded iPhone 5 screen grab.

Therefore, I have once again conclusively proved that the iPhone 5 screen is inferior for watching HD 720p videos and it introduces visible display artifacts because it is missing 200,000 pixels. I have proved this using both my own evidence and evidence you provided.

Case closed.

It's the same video. I didn't grab the same exact frame. I'm sorry. It was on a phone. How do you expect me to grab the same exact frame from a video on a phone? I'm not using a professional video application on a desktop computer. I can see what you are saying about the track behind the bike, but the line beneath the yamalube? Really? There's that much of a noticeable difference to you? Since you have both and I have access to both you can watch the same video on both phones. In real world application there is not that much of a ****ing difference in video quality to cause this much of an uproar about video quality difference. A majority of users will not be able to perceive these differences. That was all I was trying to argue. The ability for the majority of users to notice the difference of a moving video. I'm not going to argue with videophiles who can imagine the differences that aren't there.

Last edited:

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

Case closed.
Im struggling to see any diference, but running anything at native resolution will always be better.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
So all we ascertained after nine pages is that:

- the iPhone is not HD (we knew that anyway)
- if you put downscaled images under the microscope you can spot imperfections, but you're unlikely to notice in normal day to day use.

Wow, constructive!

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
And just because I care so much for everyone's opinion here.........

here's the same screen grab taken from my laptop, so it's upscaled slightly to fit a higher resolution screen (not much higher, 11" MacBook Air).

8398011288_190b377028_o.png

compared to the same frame on my iPhone 5.

8398021848_1bd730a723_o.png

Compared to the HTC One X

8398032666_2aa44614ef_o.png

Last edited:

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I'm sorry but this thread is stupid.

Is the iPhone 5's screen "HD" as what we know today? Technically no. Does the iPhone 5 still have a great screen? Yes.

We can go through facts forever. Yes in all technicality running something at a native resolution should always look better. Yes some "artifacts" can appear. No doubt.

Though I just did an experiment on my own. I took those still images that someone just posted and I showed both of them to 10 people! Two of those people having art/photography experience. One went to school for photography and the other works at an advertising agency and gets paid to give his opinion on professional ad's you see out in the market every day.

You want to know how many could tell the difference in those photos? Only two. The two that have photography and art backgrounds. The other 8 were your average every day people. They could not tell one difference. Yes their is a difference no doubt though to the average every day person the iPhone 5's screen is absolutely great and is almost impossible to tell the difference of. I'm sorry but unless you have a background in this sort of stuff and you're actually trying to see the difference, the average every day person will not.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I think we have to remember that the current "HD" resolutions were chosen with televisions in mind. These have screens from anywhere between five to twenty plus times the size of the iPhone.

On such a small screen you don't need anywhere near the resolution that a TV would to get comparable quality.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
The only way you can compare the quality of images on these mobile devices is if you have BOTH mobile devices to physically compare.

Vastoholic made this mistake. The only reason I'm posting this screenshot up is so that you know what I'm talking Even color saturation on the Macbook Air vs the iPhone 5 is completely different. You can't draw any opinions from it.

I'm not saying that the graphical quality of the 5 is bad. But it's just not as good as Apple purports.

Very matter of factly, even an image like this. It's not crystal clear, there is some grain and blur. Pixels can be seen.

zNwrj91.jpg

That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
The only way you can compare the quality of images on these mobile devices is if you have BOTH mobile devices to physically compare.

Vastoholic made this mistake. The only reason I'm posting this screenshot up is so that you know what I'm talking Even color saturation on the Macbook Air vs the iPhone 5 is completely different. You can't draw any opinions from it.

I'm not saying that the graphical quality of the 5 is bad. But it's just not as good as Apple purports.

Very matter of factly, even an image like this. It's not crystal clear, there is some grain and blur. Pixels can be seen.

That's all I'm saying.

How is that the phone's fault? This 720 S3 screenshot doesn't look any better

Screenshot_2012-11-09-09-50-24.png

If anything, it looks worse. Don't let somedude's bs crusade get to you too much. The only real downside to downscaling is the additional processing requirements. The upshot is that you don't have to look silly toting around something the size of a DVD case, like the Note 2.

Last edited:

Obese Lobsters

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
This entire thread mimics the megapixel count wars. It's obvious that the iPhone 5 doesn't have a 1080p or 720p screen, however like the megapixel wars we can't define screen quality based on number of pixels alone. There are a number of factors to consider such as brightness, contract ratio and color reproduction. The screen must be taken as an entire package; otherwise, we would still be claiming that a iphone 5 takes better pictures than a Nikon d40 based solely on megapixel count (8 vs. 6.1). Clearly it doesn't

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Vastoholic made this mistake.

You must have missed my post where I compared the HTC One X's screen resolution to both the iPhone 5 and MacBook Air. It's only a few posts up. Here, let me help you.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16692763/

If you can show me legitimate differences or enhancements that the 720p screen of the HTC One X then I will concede. I had both phones physically in my hand when I took those screen shots. I saw them side by side. I can do it all day long as well since it's roommates phone. Hell, my other roommate has an S3. Would you like me to go and get that one to compare too?

There's not a bloody difference when you look at the video on the screen of that size.

How is that the phone's fault? This 720 S3 screenshot doesn't look any better

View attachment 391407

If anything, it looks worse. Don't let somedude's bs crusade get to you too much. The only real downside to downscaling is the additional processing requirements. The upshot is that you don't have to look silly toting around something the size of a DVD case, like the Note 2.

ZOMG!!1! I can see jaggies in that picture!!

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
The screen must be taken as an entire package

Exactly. What good is 720x1280 if can't display white properly, and is unreadable in direct sunlight?

----------

What about that part when Apple said the iPhone 5 screen has 44% more color saturation than the 4S, helping it meet some standard? When Phil said it was the most accurate color display on the market, he was lying? Anyone can explain?

These guys seem to agree with Schiller. They think the 5's screen is the ****.

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
It's just a technicality

HD general refers to resolution
720p 1280x720
1080p 1920x1080

if you do some calculation

1280/720=1.777
1920/1080=1.777
1136/640=1.775

there is virtually no difference. Ignorant people are just trying to find something to criticize every little way they can

Exactly. 720p and 1080p haven't got much difference in resolution, but some people want to say that they have a 1080p screen just to say they have the highest display, although they probably don't notice it.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Well, I expressly choose 1080p Over 720 because I know what HD looks like. And if you showed me, I could pick out which is which.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Is this thread still alive?!

What more can be said other than "no, the iphone 5 doesn't have a HD display."

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Is this thread still alive?!

What more can be said other than "no, the iphone 5 doesn't have a HD display."

The Apple loyalists are just going through a classic denial phase after I repeatedly shown that they are wrong using both mine and their own evidence. And apparently they don't know how to calculate how many pixels are on a display or how interpolation works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.