Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:13 AM   #176
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
Why now? Seriously they might as well just wait a few months more until Ivy-Bridge EX processors are out, with the possible inclusion of a dual 8-10 core, 16-20 hyper threaded cores...using Sandy-Bridge EX processors would be outdated.
Xeon processors are always behind in terms of adapting new architecture. I'm sure based on the new redesign, switching to Ivy Bridge Xeon would be a breeze.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:14 AM   #177
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post
I am guessing it will be like the Final Cut redesign. Or any recent "pro" redesign.

Consumerized. With even more locked downiness!

For the pro... in all of us

Joking aside, I'd bet Apple goes to the other extreme... a super open, well configurable, stunningly powerful machine but massively expensive. It will be the machine that separates the prosumers from the pros. Quad core goes away except for the server & entire regular line is 12 core+ starting at $3900.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:16 AM   #178
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

*sigh*

I understand that some have a legitimate gripe with Apple due to business concerns, but many people here seem to be clamoring for a machine that none of them would buy. Sandy EP isn't a huge increase in performance from Westmere. Where the increase comes in is when you add two more cores for 8 total per processor-and after the five people who have the money purchase them, they'll continue to sell a marginally upgraded machine. I'm guessing they chose to wait in order to have something worthwhile to upgrade to. It isn't unheard of for Apple to secure Intel processors early, so they may have something up their sleeves....
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:18 AM   #179
markcres
macrumors regular

Quote:
The size of a Mac Mini?? Why don't you just buy a Mac Mini then? Because you are not gonna fit a graphics card and 8-core in there.

Wow...
I was being sarcastic !
markcres is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:18 AM   #180
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
The size of a Mac Mini?? Why don't you just buy a Mac Mini then? Because you are not gonna fit a graphics card and 8-core in there.

Wow...
Mac-Midi. Obviously it has to support the thermal envelope of a 2 Ivy-Bridge EX chip product and probably at least two PCI cards. Think Mac II si with no optical drive, a fusion drive plus a second HD. I would thermally partition the HD and the CPU regions.

Last edited by Rocketman; Feb 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM.
Rocketman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:20 AM   #181
Tanax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaTheHut View Post
It will have to use xeon to have x2 cpu.
You're assuming it will use two CPU's.
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:22 AM   #182
NOV
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I hope so, but apple has long ignored the MP, to the degree that I'll not be surprised if they just plop a new chipset into the logic board and slap sticker on it saying new and improved.

I love the design of the MP, its clean wonderfully laid out, but its been that way since the G5. I think they can possibly shrink the enclosure down without too much sacrifice in space.
Actually the case design is celebrating its 10th anniversary.

Music website
NOV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:24 AM   #183
Baytriple
macrumors regular

Please save me from replacing my lovely 2007 Mac Pro with an iMac.

I am so excited by this news!!!

Mac Pro order here please.
Baytriple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:25 AM   #184
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Sorry #2 just isn't happening. If you can upgrade the RAM in a 27" new iMac, then you will obviously be able to upgrade it in the Pro.

You'll be able to upgrade the video card because that is the whole point of a Pro desktop machine...upgradable slots. Plus Pro machines need additional slots for Audio or Video cards for Post Production. Those will exist.

What's more likely is the possibility of no optical drive.

Just think of the more modern SFF towers and that's what you'll be seeing..smaller, thinner but well designed to deal with the heat issues that those machines run into.
Ahem.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:25 AM   #185
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishake View Post
When is "Spring" anyways?
5:01 am MDT | Wednesday, March 20, 2013

to

10:58 pm MDT | Thursday, June 20, 2013
gmanist1000 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:26 AM   #186
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Joking aside, I'd bet Apple goes to the other extreme... a super open, well configurable, stunningly powerful machine but massively expensive. It will be the machine that separates the prosumers from the pros. Quad core goes away except for the server & entire regular line is 12 core+ starting at $3900.
It'll be interesting to see if they want to move units and be competitive (ok, LOL!), or simply mark up their cpu upgrades to a crazy degree like they always have.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:31 AM   #187
kjs862
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
What exactly do you have in mind? That would be the Mac mini, frankly.
The iMac has 4 dimms and the Mac mini has 2 dimms.
kjs862 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:36 AM   #188
iChrist
macrumors 65816

So we can expect the new Thunderbolt Display also. Too bad spring is such a general date, probably June .

Would be good to have retina 27" to go wtih Mac Pro, but don't know if this exists yet.

Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:38 AM   #189
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

This is great news!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:38 AM   #190
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
*sigh*

I understand that some have a legitimate gripe with Apple due to business concerns, but many people here seem to be clamoring for a machine that none of them would buy. Sandy EP isn't a huge increase in performance from Westmere. Where the increase comes in is when you add two more cores for 8 total per processor-and after the five people who have the money purchase them, they'll continue to sell a marginally upgraded machine. I'm guessing they chose to wait in order to have something worthwhile to upgrade to. It isn't unheard of for Apple to secure Intel processors early, so they may have something up their sleeves....
Different strokes for different folks.. Some people want/need a Mac workstation with lots of expansion options. Others want an affordable, smaller Mac with an upgradable GPU and perhaps storage. Since Apple only has one the expandable Mac, we're all in here waiting for the new Mac Pro.

The old argument that a mini-tower would cannibalise Pro sales are gone; Pro sales are a minority of their desktop sales, which are a minority of their Mac sales, which are a minority of their overall sales.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:44 AM   #191
mslide
macrumors 6502a

It's probably just to meet the new EU standards. People are getting their hopes up for, most likely, nothing.
mslide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:45 AM   #192
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
I really wish apple would make something like the iMac but without the screen.
Yes the screen many time outlives the usefulness of the computer and you are forced to trash a perfectly working LCD monitor
ChrisA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:46 AM   #193
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Finally, a Mac Pro at last..
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:47 AM   #194
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie1972 View Post
It'll be interesting to see if they want to move units and be competitive (ok, LOL!), or simply mark up their cpu upgrades to a crazy degree like they always have.
Apple is going to want its margins on a pro machine for sure. I wouldn't expect any "competitive" pricing. It's gotta be a machine that makes pro's drool like a it was a Ferrari.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:47 AM   #195
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
5:01 am MDT | Wednesday, March 20, 2013

to

10:58 pm MDT | Thursday, June 20, 2013
Only on a mac forum would people actually discuss when Spring is. :P
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:47 AM   #196
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
The old argument that a mini-tower would cannibalise Pro sales are gone; Pro sales are a minority of their desktop sales, which are a minority of their Mac sales, which are a minority of their overall sales.
Your only hope is that all the developers at Apple threaten go on strike if they don't get new Mac Pro's

I wonder how long a complete build of MacOS X with everything included takes on a top-of-the-range Mac Pro.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:51 AM   #197
akadmon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser45 View Post
With the current trends of things here's what to expect:

1. 30% thinner design

2. non-upgradable parts

3. 40% less packaging (for the environment, man)

Missing anything?
Yeah -- it wll have an SD slot on the back.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:56 AM   #198
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
I wonder if some of the chief boasting points will be;
  • Thinner
  • Lighter
  • No Optical Drive
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:57 AM   #199
hayesk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Yes the screen many time outlives the usefulness of the computer and you are forced to trash a perfectly working LCD monitor
You trash your iMacs? Sell them. They're worth more with a perfectly working LCD.
hayesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:00 PM   #200
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Smaller does make sense since the device covers a lot of room and by removing the extra drive bays one can make the product a lot smaller. But lighter shouldn't really be a priority since Mac Pro's aren't meant to be moved around constantly in an office.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion