Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Why now? Seriously they might as well just wait a few months more until Ivy-Bridge EX processors are out, with the possible inclusion of a dual 8-10 core, 16-20 hyper threaded cores...using Sandy-Bridge EX processors would be outdated.

Xeon processors are always behind in terms of adapting new architecture. I'm sure based on the new redesign, switching to Ivy Bridge Xeon would be a breeze.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I am guessing it will be like the Final Cut redesign. Or any recent "pro" redesign.

Consumerized. With even more locked downiness!

For the pro... in all of us :rolleyes:

:apple:

Joking aside, I'd bet Apple goes to the other extreme... a super open, well configurable, stunningly powerful machine but massively expensive. It will be the machine that separates the prosumers from the pros. Quad core goes away except for the server & entire regular line is 12 core+ starting at $3900.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
*sigh*

I understand that some have a legitimate gripe with Apple due to business concerns, but many people here seem to be clamoring for a machine that none of them would buy. Sandy EP isn't a huge increase in performance from Westmere. Where the increase comes in is when you add two more cores for 8 total per processor-and after the five people who have the money purchase them, they'll continue to sell a marginally upgraded machine. I'm guessing they chose to wait in order to have something worthwhile to upgrade to. It isn't unheard of for Apple to secure Intel processors early, so they may have something up their sleeves....

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The size of a Mac Mini?? Why don't you just buy a Mac Mini then? Because you are not gonna fit a graphics card and 8-core in there.

Wow...
Mac-Midi. Obviously it has to support the thermal envelope of a 2 Ivy-Bridge EX chip product and probably at least two PCI cards. Think Mac II si with no optical drive, a fusion drive plus a second HD. I would thermally partition the HD and the CPU regions.

Last edited:

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
I hope so, but apple has long ignored the MP, to the degree that I'll not be surprised if they just plop a new chipset into the logic board and slap sticker on it saying new and improved.

I love the design of the MP, its clean wonderfully laid out, but its been that way since the G5. I think they can possibly shrink the enclosure down without too much sacrifice in space.

Actually the case design is celebrating its 10th anniversary.

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
Please save me from replacing my lovely 2007 Mac Pro with an iMac.

I am so excited by this news!!!

Mac Pro order here please.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Sorry #2 just isn't happening. If you can upgrade the RAM in a 27" new iMac, then you will obviously be able to upgrade it in the Pro.

You'll be able to upgrade the video card because that is the whole point of a Pro desktop machine...upgradable slots. Plus Pro machines need additional slots for Audio or Video cards for Post Production. Those will exist.

What's more likely is the possibility of no optical drive.

Just think of the more modern SFF towers and that's what you'll be seeing..smaller, thinner but well designed to deal with the heat issues that those machines run into.

Ahem.:)

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Joking aside, I'd bet Apple goes to the other extreme... a super open, well configurable, stunningly powerful machine but massively expensive. It will be the machine that separates the prosumers from the pros. Quad core goes away except for the server & entire regular line is 12 core+ starting at $3900.

It'll be interesting to see if they want to move units and be competitive (ok, LOL!), or simply mark up their cpu upgrades to a crazy degree like they always have.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
So we can expect the new Thunderbolt Display also. Too bad spring is such a general date, probably June :confused:.

Would be good to have retina 27" to go wtih Mac Pro, but don't know if this exists yet.

:apple:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
*sigh*

I understand that some have a legitimate gripe with Apple due to business concerns, but many people here seem to be clamoring for a machine that none of them would buy. Sandy EP isn't a huge increase in performance from Westmere. Where the increase comes in is when you add two more cores for 8 total per processor-and after the five people who have the money purchase them, they'll continue to sell a marginally upgraded machine. I'm guessing they chose to wait in order to have something worthwhile to upgrade to. It isn't unheard of for Apple to secure Intel processors early, so they may have something up their sleeves....

Different strokes for different folks.. Some people want/need a Mac workstation with lots of expansion options. Others want an affordable, smaller Mac with an upgradable GPU and perhaps storage. Since Apple only has one the expandable Mac, we're all in here waiting for the new Mac Pro. :)

The old argument that a mini-tower would cannibalise Pro sales are gone; Pro sales are a minority of their desktop sales, which are a minority of their Mac sales, which are a minority of their overall sales.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
It's probably just to meet the new EU standards. People are getting their hopes up for, most likely, nothing.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It'll be interesting to see if they want to move units and be competitive (ok, LOL!), or simply mark up their cpu upgrades to a crazy degree like they always have.

Apple is going to want its margins on a pro machine for sure. I wouldn't expect any "competitive" pricing. It's gotta be a machine that makes pro's drool like a it was a Ferrari.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The old argument that a mini-tower would cannibalise Pro sales are gone; Pro sales are a minority of their desktop sales, which are a minority of their Mac sales, which are a minority of their overall sales.

Your only hope is that all the developers at Apple threaten go on strike if they don't get new Mac Pro's :D

I wonder how long a complete build of MacOS X with everything included takes on a top-of-the-range Mac Pro.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Yes the screen many time outlives the usefulness of the computer and you are forced to trash a perfectly working LCD monitor

You trash your iMacs? Sell them. They're worth more with a perfectly working LCD.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Smaller does make sense since the device covers a lot of room and by removing the extra drive bays one can make the product a lot smaller. But lighter shouldn't really be a priority since Mac Pro's aren't meant to be moved around constantly in an office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.