Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Panther Al

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
I have a 2011 MacMini with an i7 2.7GHz and a discrete GPU AMD Radeon HD 6630M with Thunderbolt. No IGPU.

Actually, you do. Its hardwired into the chip itself - every i series chip with the exception of the i7 extremes come with Intel HD Graphics, I believe its HD3000 in the mini's CPU. But in the case of the mini, the discrete GPU means the IGPU isn't used.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It is a credit to Apple/Tim that have kept their word (fingers crossed)...

Well, they haven't yet. We're more hopeful now, but I'll believe it when I see it.

many people here seem to be clamoring for a machine that none of them would buy...

Don't make assumptions.

You're assuming it will use two CPU's.

So I guess you're assuming they'll ship an "upgrade" that is a step down in performance from the current top end of the line? Intel doesn't have 12 core cpus shipping any time soon, right?

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
Ha - ha (not funny)

Why now? Seriously they might as well just wait a few months more until Ivy-Bridge EX processors are out, with the possible inclusion of a dual 8-10 core, 16-20 hyper threaded cores...using Sandy-Bridge EX processors would be outdated.

I am thinking the same- only it's not going to happen. The Sandy bridge E5-26xx is not (yet) shipping for all SKU's and in quantities. My best guess is that for the E5-36xx you have to wait at least another 12 months !

see for yourself:
http://ark.intel.com/products/series/61422

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I hope so, but apple has long ignored the MP, to the degree that I'll not be surprised if they just plop a new chipset into the logic board and slap sticker on it saying new and improved.

I love the design of the MP, its clean wonderfully laid out, but its been that way since the G5. I think they can possibly shrink the enclosure down without too much sacrifice in space.

The only thing close to the G5 is the exterior. The interior was completely relaid out with intel, and has been relaid out in many ways on later intel iterations. Fans, ram, power, etc. all changed over time with the intel.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
I want the new Mac Pro to have....

... a wheel house just like this one!

old-computer.jpg

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
please don't mess with the chasis external design other than IO placements in the back and a few tweaks.

Having gone through a pair of G5's and current an active user '09 Mac Pro; I hope I am not the only one who loves the chassis.

As old as it is, don't mess with it. Over-all I still believe it is be best looking desktop/workstation chassis --- my opinion.

I know its selfish of me to want them to keep the design, but please please please keep it!

Just update the mainboard so it can take PCIe 3.0, USB 3.0, Thunderport, and latest Intel Xeons and add SSD and/or RAM disk caching. Partner with nvidia and AMD to produce GPUs for it, make the license fees lower so they can afford to sell GPUs for Mac Pro at the same price/cost as their PC counterparts.

Heck, convince them to release GPU that would work on BOTH mac and PC and delegate driver development to them! Give them an incentive to do that, and buyers like me will flock to your mac pro.

You'll probably get more game developers support too.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Evidence....?

I am not so sure.....Hint? That surely will be. When I say part numbers/inventory logs and so on, as the info a wonderful site as MacRumors provides like, the 128 GB iPad, then surely are coming....until then, is guessing...IMHO....:(

:):apple:

makoffee

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
If history is any indicator...

I've played the waiting game before with Apple, and I'm typically disappointed. When the last refresh came about, I was so let down that I opted for a refurbished unit to replace my 2006 Mac Pro, because the latest just wasn't worth the money.

If a computer is going to command such a high price it's should by nature be awesome. Not sure why it's been so hard to have simple things like USB3, TB, Modern CPU / GPU options.

The big question for me is "When do I sell my current mac-pro?" If the next release is a flop, I'm most likely giving up on "PRO" and sport a hi-end laptop or and try to do my 3D graphics work and audio production on something else.

MAKE A REAL COMPUTER APPLE!

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Fishy! If true, they either got hold of Haswell early or designed their own?

Exactly, that's why I'm not buying it. They have gotten stuff ahead of others before, but not like 6 months before everybody else. That would cause war between Intel and their biggest customers (Dell, HP etc.)

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
I suspect only minor external changes due to they can't really make it smaller without removing things.

I just see it as a spruce up and SB-E or if we are very lucky, IB-E.

eltaurus

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
wow ... finally ... something for professionals ... this will make me stick to apple eco system for 3-4yrs more

thebluepointe

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Apple has done nothing over the last several years but show their focus is on mobile devices. They should license their pro desktop and maybe even resurrect their server market by licensing third parties to develop and maintain these products.

Pro markets are nothing like consumer markets. Legacy support matters in true pro and enterprise environments. It doesn't so much in the consumer market. Apple, these days, is all about leaving legacy technologies behind.

Pros also need easy expandability and compatibility with existing and proven technologies. Nobody in a pro/enterprise environment wants use a heat gun to disassemble parts or to pry cases open with a putty knife. But they need access to easily replace hard drives, memory, add legacy PCI/PCI-Express cards without jumping through hoops or voiding their warranty.

This doesn't sound like a device Apple would make in its modern mindset. I'm afraid the new Mac Pro will alienate its pro base by pushing the limits of what they feel Pros can do without and using expensive hardware options like Thunderbolt to try older technologies tied in.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
With the current trends of things here's what to expect:

1. 30% thinner design

2. non-upgradable parts

3. 40% less packaging (for the environment, man)

Missing anything?

Even thinner battery, at the cost of battery life. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.