Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng

Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:12 PM   #1
DShap5
macrumors 6502a

Ad Based Apps?

If you're not the patient type, stop reading. I have almost no knowledge of what I'm talking about so I'm asking extremely basic questions here.

I want to put an iOS app in the app store. It's not the kind of app people would want to pay for, but they deifinitely would get it if it were free. I want to do an ad based version. How much do apps get per download using ads? How do you go about getting ads on your app?
DShap5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
If you're not the patient type, stop reading. I have almost no knowledge of what I'm talking about so I'm asking extremely basic questions here.

I want to put an iOS app in the app store. It's not the kind of app people would want to pay for, but they deifinitely would get it if it were free. I want to do an ad based version. How much do apps get per download using ads? How do you go about getting ads on your app?
Read this thread:

How much revenue can I get from iAd?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1022402
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:58 PM   #3
DShap5
macrumors 6502a

Wait, is iAd something that promotes your app, or is it something that puts ads in your app promoting other stuff?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:12 AM   #4
DShap5
macrumors 6502a

Maybe I should clarify. I want to get ads on my app. Not advertise my own app. If I submit my app to apple as free, will Apple automatically put ads on it, or do I have to talk to some other people that work with the ads?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
Maybe I should clarify. I want to get ads on my app. Not advertise my own app. If I submit my app to apple as free, will Apple automatically put ads on it, or do I have to talk to some other people that work with the ads?
You have to implement iAds into your app. I have no idea how it works, but look through the documentation.

http://developer.apple.com/library/i...uid/TP40009881

Quote:
To Use iAd In Your Application, You Must Join the iAd Network
Before you start adding advertising support to your application, you must first agree to the iAd Network agreement. Further, you must explicitly enable iAd for each application in iTunes Connect. As a part of the iAd Network, you control the kinds of ads that are delivered to your application.

For more information on the iAd Network, see http://developer.apple.com/iad/.

For more information in enabling iAd in your application, see iTunes Connect Developer Guide.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:32 AM   #6
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
In my experience, adding iAds to an app is quite easy but adding ads from other services (like Ads by Google or AdMob) is relatively difficult.

Also in my experience, you need to have millions of downloads (which seems improbable to me) to manage to actually have a revenue that does more than get you back your $100/year developer fee to Apple. Making your money back on a $1 app (you only need 140 downloads) is a lot easier.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:07 PM   #7
dejo

My experience is this: I have an ad-serving app that gets hundreds of downloads per day, it recently crossed the 600,000 downloads milestone (after over 4 years on the App Store) and I get thousands of dollars per year in ad revenue, more than enough to cover my developer fee.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng