Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:19 AM   #51
GerritV
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
Looked up that stylus, looks interesting. However, the contact email on the site bounces back, the Kickstarter is full of annoyed customer who can't get in touch with the guy, the Hand Stylus twitter has been dead since august, and I can't find any other way to contact the guy. Some tweets mention having met the guy at MacWorld which is going on now, so it's very peculiar.
O-oh, doesn't look too good - does it?
Meanwhile, I'm already looking at the GoSmart. Comments anyone?
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" iPad 3 iPhone 4S
GerritV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:20 AM   #52
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerritV View Post
O-oh, doesn't look too good - does it?
Meanwhile, I'm already looking at the GoSmart. Comments anyone?
I have had a Jot, which is similar in some ways. I hated it, because I use my styluses for writing notes. The Jot is more accurate than a rubber nib stylus, however it's also annoying to lift up and put back down because the disc has to realign, so it's more suited for drawing than writing. On top of that, it's not accurate enough to stop using zoom box writing for me, which means the accuracy goes to waste. It ended up with a friend of mine who likes to draw instead.

Not sure if this translates to the GoSmart, but wouldn't be surprised if it does
Cptnodegard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:21 AM   #53
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
Arrrggg so what does this leaves us with now, the Bamboo one as one of the better stylus out there?
I have a Bamboo duo and that's my daily driver for taking notes in class.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:26 PM   #54
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I switched from the Bamboo to the Maglus just yesterday because the Bamboo was too mushy. I felt like the rubber would tear before too long.

The Maglus is fantastic so far. Very accurate, and the weight is good. I use it exclusively for handwriting apps. (Noteshelf and Goodnotes; I'm still trying to find the perfect ink realism and width combination.)
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:43 PM   #55
D.T.
macrumors 68020
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
I picked up a TrueGlide several months ago, still works great, very smooth, very accurate tracking (especially on the 4th Gen, very little latency).

The tip is kind of metallic mesh, that works really well, and doesn't seem to get gunked up.

http://www.lynktec.com/TruGlide-micr...lus-s/1819.htm

My only complaint is it's a tad light.

(Got mine from Amazon originally, looks like they're currently OOS...)
__________________
"It is not daily increase but daily decrease; hack away the unessential." ~Bruce Lee
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:50 PM   #56
mrrish
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Stay away from the handstylus for now. I was a kickstarter backer for the project and the single biggest problem is that you have to press extremely hard to write onto the screen. It seems that the 'revolutionary' 4mm tip is just way to small for Apple's touch screen. Pressing harder than normal squishes the tip to a larger size (ultimately matching the other stylus on the market). Having to push harder actually compromises legibility of writing, rather than allow for finer control.

I use the bamboo stylus from Wacom and really haven't looked elsewhere except for the handstylus, which failed my requirements. I like the bamboo's replaceable tips and it has a great weight to it. Feels very professional and looks gorgeous. I finding writing and drawing to be very precise.

Last edited by mrrish; Feb 6, 2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Typos
mrrish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:40 AM   #57
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerritV View Post
My Bamboo is my favorite for drawing, my Maglus for writing.
If I were to choose a third one, I'd consider the Hand stylus.
How does anyone write with a maglus. No precision, and have to press pretty hard.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:02 AM   #58
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
How does anyone write with a maglus. No precision, and have to press pretty hard.
No one in their right mind writes with any stylus without using partial zoom mode, which is present in any worthwhile note taking app. Then you can match font size 12 machine text with your handwriting with any stylus. The Maglus is then good because you don't have to press hard; if you have to do that with yours, the tip needs replacing. I had that issues with mine on the iPad mini, the replacement tip that came with it works just fine.
Cptnodegard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:11 AM   #59
ceva321
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York City is where my heart is but now living in Delray Beach FL
i use Bamboo
ceva321 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:50 AM   #60
RenoG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekim1026 View Post
I have had the Bamboo Stylus, the Maglus Stylus, the GoSmart Stylus, and several other big name styli but my favorite is the Titanium Stylus w/pen that I got from Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tylus?ref=live

It works perfectly with my iPad even with the Spigen Ultra Optics Screen Shield. There is no lag! I highly recommend this one! I like it even more because it has a pen! It also uses refills from may other different types of pens.
This really peaks my interest, I love the combo feature and it looks real quality however $60+ is a bit more than I want to pay though...






Bamboo Duo is about $40 thru amazon hmmmm decisions


Last edited by RenoG; Feb 7, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:09 AM   #61
HurryKayne
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
This.hopefully.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-imac-and-more
HurryKayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:18 PM   #62
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurryKayne View Post


Crap. I had such high hopes that project wouldn't succeed. Seeing as how the company behaved with the iPen 1, all the lies and false promises, and the complete lack of customer support, I truly feel sorry for the 1559 people who didn't bother googling the company they're supporting before buying
Cptnodegard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:40 PM   #63
GerritV
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
I have had a Jot, which is similar in some ways. I hated it, because I use my styluses for writing notes. The Jot is more accurate than a rubber nib stylus, however it's also annoying to lift up and put back down because the disc has to realign, so it's more suited for drawing than writing. On top of that, it's not accurate enough to stop using zoom box writing for me, which means the accuracy goes to waste. It ended up with a friend of mine who likes to draw instead.

Not sure if this translates to the GoSmart, but wouldn't be surprised if it does
Thank you so much for this valuable insight!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
This really peaks my interest, I love the combo feature and it looks real quality however $60+ is a bit more than I want to pay though...
Thinking the same... I'd be interested in a solo-stylus though, no need for a pen here.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" iPad 3 iPhone 4S
GerritV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:25 PM   #64
joekim1026
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
This really peaks my interest, I love the combo feature and it looks real quality however $60+ is a bit more than I want to pay though...


Image



Bamboo Duo is about $40 thru amazon hmmmm decisions

Image
Yeah, I got it when it was on kickstart, it is a great stylus though, i like it better than the bamboo, especially with a screen protector on, i found that the titanium worked better and had very little to no lag, where as the bamboo has more lag
joekim1026 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:29 PM   #65
E3BK
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
My Hand stylus just arrived today and I must say that it's great to hold. Feels very much like a real pen. But I agree with others that you have to press down harder than I expected for it to write well. I do have a Speigen screen protector on my Mini but was willing to take it off if this worked well on my ipad 1 or iPhone w/o a screen protector.

It definitely doesn't work on the mini (didn't expect it to) and it just isn't easy enough to write with since you have to press too hard to get it to work on my other devices. Your mileage may vary as you may prefer this. Unfortunately, for me, it's going back.

I think I'll stick with paper & pen/photos to Evernote for now.
E3BK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:10 AM   #66
HurryKayne
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post


Crap. I had such high hopes that project wouldn't succeed. Seeing as how the company behaved with the iPen 1, all the lies and false promises, and the complete lack of customer support, I truly feel sorry for the 1559 people who didn't bother googling the company they're supporting before buying
I understand you but maybe this time will go better,i think they know this their last chance so..lets see.
HurryKayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:40 AM   #67
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurryKayne View Post
I understand you but maybe this time will go better,i think they know this their last chance so..lets see.
IMHO, companies shouldn't get a second chance when it comes to crowdsourcing. You're asking thousands of people to give you their money for you to make a product, and if you fail, there's not even anything they can do about it, because they didn't actually pre-order anything (KS rules). That's the kind of thing you don't want a company that has proven itself to not be trustworthy to do. They are free to release an iPen 2 out of their own pocket, it might even be a great product I'd consider buying, but they have no business on a crowdsourcing site IMHO.
Cptnodegard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 02:51 AM   #68
HurryKayne
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
IMHO, companies shouldn't get a second chance when it comes to crowdsourcing. You're asking thousands of people to give you their money for you to make a product, and if you fail, there's not even anything they can do about it, because they didn't actually pre-order anything (KS rules). That's the kind of thing you don't want a company that has proven itself to not be trustworthy to do. They are free to release an iPen 2 out of their own pocket, it might even be a great product I'd consider buying, but they have no business on a crowdsourcing site IMHO.
Shouldn't ..?People are free to give them their trust or not...
i fear who decides what its right or wrong,you can only decide to be informed or not,backing or not..etc etc...only backers could tell something..then time will tell..maybe Apple with Ios7-A7 will show its vision of Stylus...maybe not,who knows?
HurryKayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:50 AM   #69
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
No one in their right mind writes with any stylus without using partial zoom mode, which is present in any worthwhile note taking app. Then you can match font size 12 machine text with your handwriting with any stylus. The Maglus is then good because you don't have to press hard; if you have to do that with yours, the tip needs replacing. I had that issues with mine on the iPad mini, the replacement tip that came with it works just fine.
I disagree. The Maglus I have was brand new.

And it seems none of the styluses mentioned here really work well with screen protectors. I am not sure why there is so much praise on this thread. So far all of these have sucked in one way or another.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:52 AM   #70
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
I disagree. The Maglus I have was brand new.

And it seems none of the styluses mentioned here really work well with screen protectors. I am not sure why there is so much praise on this thread. So far all of these have sucked in one way or another.
Then it needs a replacement from the manufacturer.

As for using a screen protector, that's what you give up if you use a screen protector.
Cptnodegard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:37 PM   #71
TJ61
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
And it seems none of the styluses mentioned here really work well with screen protectors.
What makes you say that? I'm not doubting you, but would be interested in more info.

I thought that might at least be part of my issue with my first stylus (Bamboo on an iPad mini with cheap screen protector), so I took off the screen protector and didn't notice a difference. Since then, I picked up a Targus and it worked quite well with the screen protector.

It seems like if the protector altered screen response, you should notice it when using your finger, too (though I could see where a stylus would be more sensitive to an issue).

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:21 AM   #72
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
Then it needs a replacement from the manufacturer.

As for using a screen protector, that's what you give up if you use a screen protector.
Yeah, right.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ61 View Post
What makes you say that? I'm not doubting you, but would be interested in more info.

I thought that might at least be part of my issue with my first stylus (Bamboo on an iPad mini with cheap screen protector), so I took off the screen protector and didn't notice a difference. Since then, I picked up a Targus and it worked quite well with the screen protector.

It seems like if the protector altered screen response, you should notice it when using your finger, too (though I could see where a stylus would be more sensitive to an issue).

Regards,
Tom

I have used a number of these. The rubber tipped ones are not smooth and offer no precision. The mesh ones are smooth but you have to press hard and still have low precision. The Jots tip is a bit weird to use but does have more precision.

Its BS that these should not work well because of a screen protector. If the protector does not impede my finger, then it should not impede a stylus.

The kickstarter stylus is promising, but requires a naked iPad that you put into another device. My ipad is in the case I like so I aint doing that.

Maglus, was heavy and fat. The tip was rubberish. The company unresponsive and sleazy.

Clearly, the present screen technology is just not conducive to writing instruments. Probably why Apple has not released a writing device.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:57 AM   #73
splatman85
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Still have my Ifrarday RXII from my response on the first page and holding up great. Getting a Maglus though after trying a friends out. Definitely the best 2 in my opinion from all that I've tried.
splatman85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:14 AM   #74
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
If you have a screen protector. None of these are work well.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:22 AM   #75
peapody
macrumors 68030
 
peapody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: baltimore, md
I have a bamboo duo stylus topped with a firm nib. Here is a writing sample on Notes Plus with a HD Antiglare screen protector. Shows you that they work with a screen protector, and I have been able to take pages of notes with it.

__________________
gadgetmac //peapody's references

Last edited by peapody; Mar 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
peapody is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't use stylus Ke'ala iOS 7 1 Oct 10, 2013 07:30 PM
iPhone 5 case with integrated stylus or stylus holder? i-rui iPhone Accessories 3 Sep 13, 2013 07:50 PM
All iPads: I Just purchased my 1st iPad Stylus: Bamboo Stylus Scottyee iPad Accessories 21 Nov 8, 2012 05:30 PM
Best stylus for... Smithey1981 iPad 8 Jul 19, 2012 07:06 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC