Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Most people think of eBay as a safe place to buy/sell items. Unfortunately, I just had a horrific experience with them.

January 15th or so, I ordered a laptop from a guy in NJ on eBay. It came significantly not as described. After contemplating for a little while, I decided to return it, with a buyer protection prepaid label sent by eBay. Well, what do you know; things start to go downhill from here.
The address on the label was wrong. I contacted eBay about it and they told me that it is indeed the sellers return shipping address. The 23rd, my eBay account gets suspended in the midst of this case. On the 20th or so, I sent out the laptop, thinking it was going to the right place. I was wrong. The 27th, eBay sends me a friendly email stating that the address on the shipping label was wrong and sent me another one.
Fast forward to today. The laptop still hasn't arrived to me so I could send it to the right address to get a refund. Tracking information hasn't been updated since the 25th. After talking for about 50 minutes, the representative said it would be best to grant a refund due to miscommunication with the seller.
One hour into the call. Behold, as I think I am about to get the refund, it's the exact opposite. The representative said that since my account was suspended, buyer protection is not in effect. I said, "so you're going to leave me without an item and without the money even though the item was significantly not as described?" Blatantly, the representative said "yes, unfortunately" then "I recommend you do a trace with UPS or USPS to get the package."
So now I'm stuck with nothing. Not only that, but if I do get the package back, it's still significantly not as described.

For those that are wondering, it costed $420, eBay not willing to help at all

Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
I bought this Sony Vaio a few years ago from ebay and the guy said it was an easy fix and all of that crap. When i took it to the local tech guy he opened it and said "Everything has to be repaired or replaced ." So I was stuck with a pos laptop oh and BTW i paid 220.00 for it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You sure get "scammed" a lot. Seems maybe buying on eBay or CL isn't for you. You said you lived with your parents right? Maybe you could also speak to your parents before making a buying decision as they may be able to keep you safer.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
My philosophy on eBay is don't buy anything if you can't afford to lose the money.

Always look for reputable sellers, and be in contact with them the first second you think something is wrong.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I don't get why you bought the MBP if you were going to just sell it back. :rolleyes: Did you buy that off eBay too? You know, eBay doesn't like you spending that kind of money in a week timeframe.

Bought it on Craigslist, not eBay.

----------

Why did your account get suspended?

They hate me. Two years ago, I sold something I wasn't supposed to and they suspended me. I keep making new accounts which they keep limiting.

----------

You sure get "scammed" a lot. Seems maybe buying on eBay or CL isn't for you. You said you lived with your parents right? Maybe you could also speak to your parents before making a buying decision as they may be able to keep you safer.

They trust eBay, just not Craigslist.

----------

My philosophy on eBay is don't buy anything if you can't afford to lose the money.

Always look for reputable sellers, and be in contact with them the first second you think something is wrong.

The guy was reputable. Had 30 feedback, 100% rating, and I was able to afford it.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
I hope you get your money back OP. Why did you get suspended though?

edit:
Question answered already lol

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
They hate me. Two years ago, I sold something I wasn't supposed to and they suspended me. I keep making new accounts which they keep limiting.

When you run your big money making forum, you'll soon figure out that when you ban someone for doing something they're not supposed to, you want them gone for good, and don't want them coming back under new accounts. eBay is no different.

The guy was reputable. Had 30 feedback, 100% rating, and I was able to afford it.

30 feedback is not reputable. I could open a new eBay account today and have 30 feedback with a 100% rating by next week.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
30 feedback and you think that makes him a good seller? Wow.

With 100% feedback, yeah.

----------

Update: I just called USPS, they started an investigation on the package. Hopefully they can find it. Since the seller lives so close to me, I might just go to his house and demand the money.

----------

Update: I just called USPS, they started an investigation on the package. Hopefully they can find it. Since the seller lives so close to me, I might just go to his house and demand the money.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Why did your account get suspended?

I'm curious too. As far as ebay and the wrong mailing address the OP got from them, I'd say ebay should eat that one.

FYI, I have a friend who purchased a PC laptop. One of the specs was wrong. Instead of a 1GB video card, it had a 500MB video card. When my friend tried to dispute it, ebay sided with the seller. Of course I only have my friend's word for it.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
With 100% feedback, yeah.

30 positive feedbacks are very easy to get on eBay without spending a lot of time or money.

That's going to end well :rolleyes:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'm curious too. As far as ebay and the wrong mailing address the OP got from them, I'd say ebay should eat that one.

FYI, I have a friend who purchased a PC laptop. One of the specs was wrong. Instead of a 1GB video card, it had a 500MB video card. When my friend tried to dispute it, ebay sided with the seller. Of course I only have my friend's word for it.

Right, they should have. They were about to close it in my favor until they realized my account wasn't covered by Buyer Protection.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Right, they should have. They were about to close it in my favor until they realized my account wasn't covered by Buyer Protection.

You mean until they realized you were previously banned for eBay for violating the terms of service and shouldn't have been buying crap from there in the first place.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
You mean until they realized you were previously banned for eBay for violating the terms of service and shouldn't have been buying crap from there in the first place.

No, on one of my many accounts there, they decided to reinstate my buying privileges. Didn't turn out true with this account though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.