Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
London
I have been trying to set up my server, with not much luck. Everything works on client side, hostname resolving to ip etc that type of thing. But even when on a computer in my network nothing resolves.

So I have been looking at routers, ideally id like a Airport Extreme as i can control this from the server.app however its a little steep in price. And as im learning all this (for work, i work in IT support) Maybe an apple router is not the best option so I am looking for suggestions on other really good routers which are highly customizable.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I use one of these which is very highly customizable!

Cisco ASA 5510 Adaptive Security Appliance

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-06%20at%205.21.22%20PM.png

But at home I use the AEBS.

iampaulb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
London
But for more "control" you can also use "Tomato Firmware" on a third party router. Installing the firmware is the same as flashing router firmware, and you get more controls.

Nice...got any good tutorials for that? That will allow the same control and function from the server.app?

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Netgear here, I had a older AEBS but found it was too limited in what I can do. I like the flexibility of the netgear.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Asus RT-N66U here. Super fast and super flexible for at home. The built-in firmware is pretty alright, and it also supports DD-WRT. Best consumer router I've ever used by far without the premium you pay for Apple hardware.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
The Airport Extreme was a good router but I sold it to get the TimeCapsule for a cleaner setup. It seems the earlier software version had more options and some people will complain there's no QoS with Apple routers. I've been very pleased personally. I had a few Linksys routers previously and had to restart them often.

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
I have been trying to set up my server, with not much luck. Everything works on client side, hostname resolving to ip etc that type of thing. But even when on a computer in my network nothing resolves.

you probably have to set the domain in the router. Other than that make sure your clients use your server as main dns server. Best thing to do is to set this in you DHCP server so it hands out your dns server straight away.

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
I just installed the Cisco EA4500 matched with a Cisco cable modem. Very pleased with the performance it pops real nice. Had a E1000 and this new router is lighting, only note to add is the admin of the router works best with FireFox. Safari is clunky for admin of the router, but that's Safari and that's the rest of the story. Cannot go wrong with Cisco network products.

Greg

Last edited:

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with DD-WRT v24 preSP2

Very stable, the media sharing functionality doesn't work with DD-WRT, but it is a good tradeoff for stability, speed, and it cost me $50! :D

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I use Time Capsule and it has never let me down, it just works.
Yep, mid-2011 Time Capsule. I was trying to use a D-Link router (no intended slam on D-Link, by the way) before and had all kinds of issues with apple TV dropping connection to the iMac. I got the TC primarily for activating time machine backups, but also found that as soon as I had it configured and online in place of the d-link, all the ATV dropped connection issues promptly disappeared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.