Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:17 AM   #51
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Do Windows users get any of this stuff yet?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:10 AM   #52
tgara
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorhouse View Post
I have an earlier version of the 802.11n Extreme that does not have a guest network feature. Does this firmware add it?
No, but you should consider getting a newer Airport Extreme. It is certain that Apple will add additional features to these devices in the coming months, and your current gear will not be able to handle it.

Three updates:
1. Mac OSX Airport Utility Update
2. iOS Airport Utility Update
3. Firmware updates for Airport Extreme and Express

Get 'em all, boys! Took me about 20 minutes to update the FW in my Airport Extreme and 5 Airport Expresses. FYI, I had to run Airport Utility a couple times before the red badge showed (indicating FW update available) on all my routers. Be patient with it, it all works.
tgara is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:35 AM   #53
lexvo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusjc View Post
This update broke my network.

I still have internet on my iMac (through Ethernet) but can't connect to my Wi-Fi network on my MacBook/iPad/iPhone, even though I can see it. Also, my Time Capsule and Airport Express appear as missing in the Airport Utility.
Tried resetting my Time Capsule but it does nothing (it's "stuck" with a green light). Tried unplugging and plugging back in, the Airport Utility recognizes it for a little while, and then it goes missing again.
Have you tried a factory reset? It has helped me in situations like this.

Factory reset:
- unplug from power
- press and hold reset button
- plug into power again while still pressing reset button
- after a few seconds release reset button

Note: you have to do all settings again after this.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:55 AM   #54
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
so is this update stable or not?
As far as I can tell, yes. I updated my TC first, it re-booted but it does take a while to sort itself out so patience is the key. I then updated my AE..same deal.

All my network settings were retained, and I have had no issues at all since updating them both last night.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:32 AM   #55
radioactive
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorz View Post
DO NOT UPDATE to 7.6.3

Freakin' brilliant Apple!

After the updates my music played through airplay to an airport express cuts out continuously.

Airplay is now useless.

Replacing a "hosed" updated AE with one without the firmware update eliminates the music cutting out issue.

Thanks Apple for another brilliant FAIL!
Same for me, I have a 2TB latest generation Time Capsule and AirPlay is now dropping out every 2-3 minutes, where before it played flawlessly.

It's not a problem with routing either, the TC is only configured as a bridge for WiFi, I have a separate DSL router and PowerLine (homeplug) network that transports the audio.

I downgraded to 7.6.1 and it's all fixed.

File a bug report here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html
radioactive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:39 AM   #56
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorz View Post
DO NOT UPDATE to 7.6.3

Freakin' brilliant Apple!

After the updates my music played through airplay to an airport express cuts out continuously.

Airplay is now useless.

Replacing a "hosed" updated AE with one without the firmware update eliminates the music cutting out issue.

Thanks Apple for another brilliant FAIL!
LOL....after reading all the problems people had with 7.6.2 I've stayed at 7.6.1....if it ain't broke...
fhall1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:53 AM   #57
chercm
macrumors member

the 5Ghz band connection speed is so much faster after the upgrade
chercm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:43 AM   #58
el-John-o
macrumors 65816

Safari is a little..

Okay no I won't go there..

Anyway, I didn't notice any performance issues after going to 7.6.3. However the update for Airport Utility did come through the App Store for me.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:14 AM   #59
tgara
macrumors regular

Did you guys update ALL the software? E.g. the Airport FW, the OSX Airport utility AND the iOS Airport utility? I did and Airplay works flawlessly over a long range.

Maybe restart all your gear?
tgara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:53 AM   #60
iScott428
macrumors regular

Question, I have a guest network enabled on my 4th gen time capsule and I also have an airport extreme (4th gen) plus a airport express. I can now see the option to add a guest network on my extreme, but I want to extend the current guest network from the TC as well as extend my main network. If I enter the same credential on the extreme as the current guest network setup on my TC will the software know to extend the network or will it create a 2nd guest network? This seems to be the way the main network is being extended, but before I went fiddling with it I figured I would check here first and hopefully save myself some time. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

Or is this even possible?
2.2 GHz MPB, 2GB, 120 GB HD;2.4 Mac Mini 8gb 320HD Iphone 8gb> W 3GS 32gb> 4s 64gb W; 32GB Ipad Wifi> 64gb iPad 2 wifi+3G; 16GB Ipod Nano 6G; ATV2; Airport Extreme & Express;Apple Keyboard on Work PC.
iScott428 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:08 AM   #61
mdpeterman
macrumors newbie

Like others have mentioned the new update broke my IPv6 tunnel from tunnelbroker.net. Hope there is a fix quick.
mdpeterman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:17 AM   #62
bfroehle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpeterman View Post
Like others have mentioned the new update broke my IPv6 tunnel from tunnelbroker.net. Hope there is a fix quick.
The upgrade broke my IPv6 tunneling as well. Downgrading to 7.6.1 fixed it immediately.
bfroehle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:26 AM   #63
John.B
macrumors 68040

The new iOS app won't accept the same basestation password I use to connect from OSX. Probably doesn't like some of the special characters I use in my password, and I'm not about to use a weaker password just to be able to use a dumbed down app on my iPad or iPhone.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:56 AM   #64
RoarinRow
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfroehle View Post
The upgrade broke my IPv6 tunneling as well. Downgrading to 7.6.1 fixed it immediately.
How did you downgrade? I need to do that to fix my IPv6.
AppleTV 1 and 2nd Gen
RoarinRow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:00 PM   #65
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenr View Post
I just cannot comprehend why Apple would "dumb down" Airport Utility the way they have since v. 6. I also keep V. 5 on my new iMac for the options it affords one.
Funny, I once called in AppleCare about an issue with a NAS on my network. This was when the "new" AirPort Utility came out. I still used 5.x, while the dmg will not install, you can drag and drop it from another (older) OS X install and it will run. The tech rep on the phone said she wouldn't use the new one herself, and was glad I had the older version (5.6). I don't know what Apple is thinking since 10.7, but this iOS (and the new AirPort Utility is exactly like the iOS version) of everything OS X is pissing me off.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:06 PM   #66
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenr View Post
I just cannot comprehend why Apple would "dumb down" Airport Utility the way they have since v. 6. I also keep V. 5 on my new iMac for the options it affords one.
There is a great post here from forum member mmomega showing how to get Airport Utility 5.6.1 on Mountain Lion.
Weaselboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:24 PM   #67
RoarinRow
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoarinRow View Post
How did you downgrade? I need to do that to fix my IPv6.
Found my answer:

AirPort Utility 6

Open AirPort Utility.
Select the base station you want to downgrade.
Place the mouse cursor over the version number and hold down the Option key to turn it into a pop-up menu. Press and hold the mouse button to open the menu.
From the menu that appears, select a firmware version and click OK. If you select Other, you will be prompted to manually locate the firmware update.
AppleTV 1 and 2nd Gen
RoarinRow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:52 PM   #68
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Another *possible* problem w/new firmware?

I just upgraded both my Airport Extreme (latest revision) and Airport Express (latest model too) with this 7.63 firmware and all seemed to be well initially.

A few hours later, my wife tried to kick off a Time Machine backup over the LAN to my FreeNAS box serving as the makeshift Time Machine server (always worked pretty good before), and the backup suddenly halted.

I went downstairs to troubleshoot and realized the Airport Express and the Extreme which I had been running in bridged mode, with the Express extending the wi-fi network were not seeing each other. Both still had green lights on the front, but no network traffic was flowing between them at all.

I rebooted the extreme by unplugging the AC power, and when it came back up, all was well again. But now i'll have to keep an eye on it for a while to see if this was a one-time glitch, or a problem with the firmware.
kingtj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:11 PM   #69
Hitch08
macrumors regular

Looks like I'll just stay with the current version...
Hitch08 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:34 PM   #70
MN7119
macrumors regular

Updated Airport Extreme base yesterday. Working perfectly after the update. No issues at all.
MN7119 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:24 PM   #71
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816

Wifi

they really need to do some work on the Wifi controls in ML. (not Airport, wifi).

They simply aren't as easy to use as the ones on much cheaper, lower quality PCs. And that is sad.
Plus, I have seen quite a lot of beachballing on my users MBPs. Not from Firefox or Safari, but from the dang Wifi preferences panel.
Compared to the stock windows wifi control panel, or Lenovo's and HP's wifi applets, it's primitive and annoying.
Why does it ask you to type the name in of the network first? (though there is a button to click to go to a list of networks)
Why doesnt it display the TYPE of network (ABGN etc)?
Why does the drop down for choosing networks freeze so often?
calaverasgrande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:20 PM   #72
oldhifi
macrumors 6502a

Upgraded mine, no problems..
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:23 PM   #73
rexone
macrumors member

I wonder if this updates fixes the problems of drop-outs when streaming music over your network?
And I've always kept 5.6 on-hand & prefer to use it over V6.
Just absurd how Apple is continuing to dumb-down all of it's app's and utilities.
rexone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:54 AM   #74
jdmagoo1
macrumors member

So does this update enable guest mode when the AE is in bridge mode?
jdmagoo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:04 PM   #75
Explorz
macrumors member

Uh, I think not. That's a lot of what this thread is about. No wondering necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexone View Post
I wonder if this updates fixes the problems of drop-outs when streaming music over your network?
Explorz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion