Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:18 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 6.x Jailbreak Evasi0n Hits Seven Million Installs in Four Days

The iOS 6.x jailbreak dubbed evasi0n has been installed on seven million iDevices since its Monday morning release, Cydia administrator Jay Freeman told Forbes.

That makes evasi0n the most quickly adopted jailbreak software of all time, drawing in far more users than previous jailbreaks, like iOS 5.1.1's Redsn0w, the last available jailbreak before evasi0n.
Quote:
As of Thursday night, Freeman's alternative app store had received visits from 5.15 million iPhones, 1.35 million iPads, and 400,000 iPod touches that were jailbroken with evasi0n, the first jailbreaking software for the iPhone 5 and iOS 6.1.

Though he doesn't have exact figures for previous jailbreaks, Freeman says that evasi0n has brought Cydia "insanely more new traffic" than the release of the jailbreak tool called Absinthe that worked on some versions of iOS 5.
Forbes points out that even one of the more popular jailbreaks of 2011, Jailbreakme3 from Comex, only drew 1.4 million downloads during its first nine days online. Freeman attributes this to the amount of time that it took to crack iOS 6 - 136 days - compared to the 98 days that it took to unlock the iPhone 4S.
Quote:
That's what made this such a landmark jailbreak. It had been so long and we were all so hungry for it.
As mentioned in a previous article by Forbes, evasi0n, which is the first untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 5 and for devices running iOS 6.x, takes advantage of five distinct bugs in the iOS 6 code.

Evasi0n was updated to version 1.1*yesterday, fixing a bug that caused the weather app to crash. The jailbreak is available for OS X, Windows, and Linux on the*evasi0n website.

Article Link: iOS 6.x Jailbreak Evasi0n Hits Seven Million Installs in Four Days
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:19 PM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

This jailbreak thingy seems kinda popular. Who knew??
r.j.s is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:30 PM   #3
kjs862
macrumors 65816

I bet a good portion of that thanks to MacRumors.
kjs862 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:33 PM   #4
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
I bet a good portion of that thanks to MacRumors.
True - this is an insane amount of traffic.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Steve wouldn't like this if he were alive.
Bubba Satori is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:36 PM   #6
iomar
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to iomar
In the long run Jailbreak is always good for Apple, even if they don't like it.

http://www.bjjproducts.com
iomar is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:46 PM   #7
SirYossi
macrumors member

Why Bother

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
Seems a waist of my time - more of a gimmicky things teenagers do - pointless - teens these days have no life get outdoors do something - life is only boring if you let it be. Only promotes pirating by allowing pirated apps on your phone or device.
SirYossi is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:46 PM   #8
bushido
macrumors 601

apple take note. time t heat things up on the software front

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirYossi View Post
Seems a waist of my time - more of a gimmicky things teenagers do - pointless - teens these days have no life get outdoors do something - life is only boring if you let it be. Only promotes pirating by allowing pirated apps on your phone or device.
if u say so mr fantastic
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:47 PM   #9
AppleMactablet
macrumors regular

Question-I was looking through the Cydia Store and without hitting any ads etc-Dirty xxx ad came up-Has anyone else had this issue
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:49 PM   #10
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
So what you're saying is you don't want the next generation tinkering with their phones, learning about apps and software, thus creating new and innovative designers, and driving technology to the next level?
madsci954 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:56 PM   #11
samcraig
macrumors G5

1.7 was impressive. 7 million sends a good message.
samcraig is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:58 PM   #12
SILen(e
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
Actually it's not very popular if you know how many devices running iOS6 are out there.

A few weeks ago, Apple reported nearly 300 million devices running iOS6 (and 500 million existing iOS devices).

People have been waiting for an untethered iOS 6 jailbreak for months, so it's very likely they updated as soon as possible.

7 million jailbroken devices out of 300 million is only 2.5%.

That's not a signal that people want features you only get by jailbreaking, it's a signal that the majority (hell, almost everybody!) doesn't care for jailbreaks.
SILen(e is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:00 PM   #13
philr5150
macrumors member

Quote:
You, Sir, have no idea what you're talking about. There are plenty of reasons for Jailbreaking that have nothing to do with pirating software.

Take off the blinkers and get out into the real world you speak of.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
Actually it's not very popular if you know how many devices running iOS6 are out there.

A few weeks ago, Apple reported nearly 300 million devices running iOS6 (and 500 million existing iOS devices).

People have been waiting for an untethered iOS 6 jailbreak for months, so it's very likely they updated as soon as possible.

In FOUR days. FOUR. 7,000,000 installs. That's popular by ANY standard.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:09 PM   #14
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Check this out:
http://i.imgur.com/X5xQUkS.png

All I do in Cydia on my jailbroken device is buy apps, and I've been doing it for years.

Jailbreaking allows me to spend more money, not pirate.

Cydia generates a ton of revenue. People that gladly PAY for exclusive tweaks and new features for their device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Forbes points out that even one of the more popular jailbreaks of 2011, Jailbreakme3 from Comex, only drew 1.4 million downloads during its first nine days online. Freeman attributes this to the amount of time that it took to crack iOS 6 - 136 days - compared to the 98 days that it took to unlock the iPhone 4S.
There is no software unlock for the 4S. Why is this story mixing up "unlock" and "jailbreak"? They are not the same thing.
Xenomorph is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:13 PM   #15
Tsikura
macrumors member

Quote:
I don't pirate on my ipad and I jailbroke. Not everyone pirates you know. Especially when it's so easy to get free games and stuff. Many of my games I got through places like slickdeals which posts freebies all the time. Facebook also gives away free games. I got angry birds, where's my water, and a few other games that way for free.

Get your head out of your ass and stop being close minded.
Tsikura is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:14 PM   #16
NorEaster
macrumors regular

Quote:

That's not a signal that people want features you only get by jailbreaking, it's a signal that the majority (hell, almost everybody!) doesn't care for jailbreaks.
This is an inaccurate statement. The 293 million that don't jailbreak actually may want the features that you can get from jailbreaking...these folks just don't know about them. How many "common" iPhone users actually know the features and customizations possible due to jailbreaking?
NorEaster is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:15 PM   #17
SILen(e
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by philr5150 View Post
In FOUR days. FOUR. 7,000,000 installs. That's popular by ANY standard.
There is nothing like a limited supply with a jailbreak.
As long as the download server manages the load, everybody who wants to get the software can get it 10 minutes after release.

People have been waiting for this jailbreak for months, so there's a high chance that they will have jailbroken their devices the night the jailbreak was released.
As the news that this jailbreak exists has been reported everywhere on the web, almost anyone interested in jailbreaking his device will know about it by now.
And they will have jailbroken their device the same day they learned about the JB.

So the 7 million jailbroken devices will most likely be owned the majority of people interested in jailbreaking their iOS 6 device, i doubt that there are still 50 million people out there who don't know about this JB yet or who did not apply it due to X...

So with 7-10 million people interested in Jailbreaking their iPhones, that may be a quite high number - but only if you ignore the 290 million other iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch out there that are NOT jailbroken by now and which most likely won't ever be jailbroken.

The majority of people owning iOS devices, 95+ percent, don't care for a jailbreak.

@NorEaster
The motivations of non-users are often difficult to evaluate, so the only real numbers we have about jailbroken devices are the ones from this article - and they are not that impressive if viewed in context.

Last edited by SILen(e; Feb 8, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
SILen(e is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:17 PM   #18
Tsikura
macrumors member

More like the majority of owners don't even know what a jailbreak is or even exists.
Tsikura is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:19 PM   #19
FrankieTDouglas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The majority of people owning iOS devices, 95+ percent, don't care for a jailbreak.
If they enjoy their current iPhone, then they do care for a jailbreak. This is what has helped pushed iOS forward. The app store? Thank the jailbreakers.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:43 PM   #20
NorEaster
macrumors regular

Quote:
@NorEaster
The motivations of non-users are often difficult to evaluate, so the only real numbers we have about jailbroken devices are the ones from this article - and they are not that impressive if viewed in context.
I'm not debating the significance (or impressiveness) of the 7M that have applied the jailbreak. I think you are claiming that iPhone users don't want the features jailbreaking enables (such as enhanced customization of the Notification Center) and proof of that is the relatively low percentage (2.5%) of all iOS device owners that have downloaded the jailbreak. To me, that low percentage only means a small population of iOS device owners jailbreak. There's no correlation to say that the other 97.5% don't want features possible with a jb.

Here's an example: Prior to iOS 3 (I think it was iOS 3), it wasn't possible to copy/paste data on an iPhone. Only jailbreakers could get that feature. Presumably, the percentage of folks back then who had jailbroken their devices was also relatively low. Does this mean those without jailbroken devices didn't want copy/paste? I'm pretty sure (but unable to cite stats or references) that copy/paste was a widely desired feature. I hope you see my point now.
NorEaster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:49 PM   #21
epmatsw
macrumors member

Quote:
So the 7 million jailbroken devices will most likely be owned the majority of people interested in jailbreaking their iOS 6 device, i doubt that there are still 50 million people out there who don't know about this JB yet or who did not apply it due to X...
You think that there's only 50 million people who aren't aware of the jailbreak? I'd be much more surprised if there's 50 million people who own iOS devices who ARE aware of the jailbreak. Non-technical users (the vast, vast majority of iOS users) don't read tech news and don't jailbreak. For example, in my immediate family, there are 7 iOS devices and only one person (myself) is even aware of jailbreaking.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:51 PM   #22
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by epmatsw View Post
You think that there's only 50 million people who aren't aware of the jailbreak? I'd be much more surprised if there's 50 million people who own iOS devices who ARE aware of the jailbreak. Non-technical users (the vast, vast majority of iOS users) don't read tech news and don't jailbreak. For example, in my immediate family, there are 7 iOS devices and only one person (myself) is even aware of jailbreaking.
I'm not too sure on that. Several of my coworkers and my mom are aware of jailbreaking, and what it can offer, but they either don't know how to do it or are afraid of the potential consequences (e.g. safe mode/bricking, etc.)
r.j.s is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:56 PM   #23
KoSoVaR
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Where do you think the AppStore came from...? Apple came up with the concept, right?
KoSoVaR is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:57 PM   #24
SILen(e
macrumors regular

Stating that people want something like a jailbreak, but simply have no idea that something like that exists, is just a rewording of the old "People who don't do XY are just to lazy/stupid/poor for XY - if they were less lazy/less stupid/less poor they would do XY" that has been used in a thousand contexts, often also to call users of Apple products "iSheep", if this argument is used by a militant Android fan.

Different peoke have different needs and it seems that a lot don't need/want a jailbreak, due to no interest in jailbreak-stuff or the problems that can get caused by a jailbreak (crashing weather app) and many other reasons.
SILen(e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:59 PM   #25
BiigBiscuit
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMactablet View Post
Question-I was looking through the Cydia Store and without hitting any ads etc-Dirty xxx ad came up-Has anyone else had this issue
Yeah, i've gotten those but it happened when I was waiting for the descriptions of certain tweaks to load. Must have been the source that they were hosted on.
BiigBiscuit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion