Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
This is an inaccurate statement. The 293 million that don't jailbreak actually may want the features that you can get from jailbreaking...these folks just don't know about them. How many "common" iPhone users actually know the features and customizations possible due to jailbreaking?

I've seen claims in past jailbreak discussions on this forum that:
  1. *everybody*
  2. the vast majority
  3. most
iOS device users jailbreak.

Obviously, that's not the case, but equally obviously more people *know* about jailbreaking than actually go through with it. So far, the latter population is about 2.5% of IOS 6 users, assuming that no jailbreak attempts required a second try, and that every successful jailbreak has stayed jailbroken.

Admittedly, that's about double what I expected to see. :eek:

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
Seems a waist of my time - more of a gimmicky things teenagers do - pointless - teens these days have no life get outdoors do something - life is only boring if you let it be. Only promotes pirating by allowing pirated apps on your phone or device.

Yeah teenagers are stupid. I hear they don't know the difference between waist and waste. Haha. Imagine that.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I jailbroke after a break since around 2009. I still don't find much useful besides Activator. But i hope this is a reminder to Apple to step up their software game.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Seems a waist of my time - more of a gimmicky things teenagers do - pointless - teens these days have no life get outdoors do something - life is only boring if you let it be. Only promotes pirating by allowing pirated apps on your phone or device.

How dare you

You know nothing

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I wonder when Apple will realise people want more control over their iProducts and loosen up.

(I know the answer, just throwing the question out there :))

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
This is an inaccurate statement. The 293 million that don't jailbreak actually may want the features that you can get from jailbreaking...these folks just don't know about them. How many "common" iPhone users actually know the features and customizations possible due to jailbreaking?

It's also only been four days. iOS 6 took four months to reach its current installation number. So chances are that percentage is still going to go up a bit.

Last edited:

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008

So what have you done that benefits millions of people?

It evidently wasn't learning the difference between waste and waist. Incidentally, I'd bet that's something most of the 'teens [with] no life' that you refer to would be able to differentiate between.

Last edited:

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
If they enjoy their current iPhone, then they do care for a jailbreak. This is what has helped pushed iOS forward. The app store? Thank the jailbreakers.

See, I never bought this. The app store came out a year after the iPhone did. I can't believe that they weren't already planning it by then. It doesn't seem like anywhere near enough time to build and test the entire infrastructure needed to support something like the App Store.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010

This.

Or how many people have been told its "bad" and it'll "brick your device" if you do it so they stay away :rolleyes:

Almost everybody (except for one!) I have met that sees my phone always goes through these phases:

1. Wow thats amazing
2. That looks really useful, how can I do this?
3. Jailbreaking?! You just ruined your device!!!

They always tend to stop insisting I have destroyed my iPhone 5 when I tell them that I have been jailbreaking since the 3G, then they realize its not bad and start asking me how they too can jailbreak.

This is from the past 10-15 people i've met that have used/seen me use my phone. Its not that people don't want the features, its just that Apple and extreme Apple fans have done a good job making jailbreaking seem like it'll blow up your device.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Seems to me.....

a powerful statement about how Apple not always produce the best solution, even for their hardware and software offers.

And also seems to me, that Android users that brag about how powerful and customizable Android is, have to do a worth look in Apple hardware, much better in quality, with a price, obviously....

:):apple:

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
You, Sir, have no idea what you're talking about. There are plenty of reasons for Jailbreaking that have nothing to do with pirating software.

What I would really like to see are some stats of how many downloads of one of the more popular pirated apps there have been in the last four days.

The comparison between jailbreaking and pirating would be fascinating.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
See, I never bought this. The app store came out a year after the iPhone did. I can't believe that they weren't already planning it by then. It doesn't seem like anywhere near enough time to build and test the entire infrastructure needed to support something like the App Store.

how long did it take for cydia (or whatever form it was then) to be created? and think how much money apple has. You sir are absolutely wrong.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
how long did it take for cydia (or whatever form it was then) to be created? and think how much money apple has. You sir are absolutely wrong.

What does money have to do with how long it takes to build and test infrastructure? I don't think you fully grasp the complexity behind the App Store. It isn't something that can just be thrown together in a year.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
So what you're saying is you don't want the next generation tinkering with their phones, learning about apps and software, thus creating new and innovative designers, and driving technology to the next level? :rolleyes:

Correct. Because "back in his day" no one tinkered with anything and the world was a better place. I've noticed a lot of older people lately have been bashing the younger generation calling them "stupid" and "lazy". In reality today's generation is smarter and more mature and capable than any generation before them.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
yes, there was never any jailbreaks when he was around now, were there???? thanks for your contribution.

sMQPmrU.gif

Worst sense of humour ever. I was being flippant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.