Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Just had a chat with Apple. Made a few lies just to make it interesting. Their chat service brings out my Apple-nerdiness lol. Was fun. Discuss?
G8oHCaR.png

KnJnyfy.png

oWMPnFE.png

A6ISYKx.png

teWd1YO.png

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
tl;dr

Do you have a point? They're paid to gush about Apple and tell you how amazing and smart you are. Are you needing more affection?

No kidding. The guy in the chat would be a Dell fanatic if Dell hired him to do the same job at a higher salary.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Sounds like an internal Apple employee. I used to have that exact same job through Arise, working from home. We did four chats at once plus chatting with our teams, and had to make 5% conversions. I would have been yelled at for a chat like that, but it's nice when workers can be real. I actually enjoyed chat quite a bit, even though it could get really, really stressful. There were some "abusive" chats. Although, they didn't bother me personally. The ones I helped the most didn't usually buy. Conversion rates were a horrible measure of performance because you could spend an hour with a customer getting a perfect solution for them and not get a sale. But you could "touch" a browser who never even wrote to you and get credit for their sale if they checked out while the chat with you was open (on their end). I know it's not worth much in any context, but I was once told by performance facilitator (in this bizarro world of contracting, a performance facilitator is kind of like your immediate supervisor, except you're paying them and they're also paying you since you're an independent contractor--you have to pay to use their systems and training, but they pay you for work) that I was the best chatter she had on her team, except that my conversion rate wasn't tops.

It was also a bit Pavlovian in that each new chatter caused a "Ping" to go off on my Mac, which could drive you crazy when it was really high volume.

For some reason I always imagined the internal Apple employees being much more laid back and not having the same pressures, but I could be wrong.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I would have been yelled at for a chat like that, but it's nice when workers can be real.

You think that person was being real? He was falling all over himself to praise Apple and couldn't stop telling Squilly how smart, thoughtful, and amazing he was. It was so heavy handed that it made me want to vomit.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
You think that person was being real? He was falling all over himself to praise Apple and couldn't stop telling Squilly how smart, thoughtful, and amazing he was. It was so heavy handed that it made me want to vomit.

Maybe he was a fanboy? :rolleyes:

----------

Sounds like an internal Apple employee. I used to have that exact same job through Arise, working from home. We did four chats at once plus chatting with our teams, and had to make 5% conversions. I would have been yelled at for a chat like that, but it's nice when workers can be real. I actually enjoyed chat quite a bit, even though it could get really, really stressful. There were some "abusive" chats. Although, they didn't bother me personally. The ones I helped the most didn't usually buy. Conversion rates were a horrible measure of performance because you could spend an hour with a customer getting a perfect solution for them and not get a sale. But you could "touch" a browser who never even wrote to you and get credit for their sale if they checked out while the chat with you was open (on their end). I know it's not worth much in any context, but I was once told by performance facilitator (in this bizarro world of contracting, a performance facilitator is kind of like your immediate supervisor, except you're paying them and they're also paying you since you're an independent contractor--you have to pay to use their systems and training, but they pay you for work) that I was the best chatter she had on her team, except that my conversion rate wasn't tops.

It was also a bit Pavlovian in that each new chatter caused a "Ping" to go off on my Mac, which could drive you crazy when it was really high volume.

For some reason I always imagined the internal Apple employees being much more laid back and not having the same pressures, but I could be wrong.
I always wondered that - how many chats a representative runs at once. Now I know. ;)
But damn... like being a sales associate, always under pressure, eh?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
By lies I mean not owning a rMBP, etc. Get his opinions.

So you wasted this guy's time with lies while actual potential customers or existing customers with real problems with their Apple hardware may have had to wait for an available agent.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
By lies I mean not owning a rMBP, etc. Get his opinions.

Dude, his opinions are scripted. Can't you see that throughout the entire chat?

He built up a phony rapport based largely on heavy handed flattery and stayed unwaveringly On Message. He even reminded you several times that he was being honest and sincere in a poor attempt to misdirect you from his glaringly obvious canned praise.

But did you honestly expect to find anything else from a sales rep?

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Dude, his opinions are scripted. Can't you see that throughout the entire chat?

He built up a phony rapport based largely on heavy handed flattery and stayed unwaveringly On Message. He even reminded you several times that he was being honest and sincere in a poor attempt to misdirect you from his glaringly obvious canned praise.

Well obviously, their objective is to sell you something....
I didn't notice "pushy" though.
Can't you see that throughout the entire chat?
No

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.