Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I am not satisfied with the current iphone 5. The display is too small and its more of the same old. But nevertheless I need a smartphone now. So I want to buy an iphone now and sell it later when the 5" iphone with fingerprint reader is announced.

Which iphone would have the best resale value? the iphone4, 4s or 5? I am also assuming that the 16gb loses its value the least compared to 32gb or 64gb.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
If you think the iPhone 5's 4" display is too small, why do you still want to buy another iPhone? Both the 4 and the 4S have a smaller 3.5" display. It makes no sense....

And the 5" iPhone is just a rumour at this point of time, not to mention what imaginery "fingerprint reader"...... :rolleyes:

Get an android smartphone if you want a bigger display.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Cause iphones retain their value far better than android phones. And I need a quick temporary smartphone now. One that will have the best resale value.

I am not satisfied with the current crop of smartphones. An 5" iphone is an smartphone that I would want to buy but unfortunately I can't wait right now. So if you could just answer the question that would be very helpful

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The iPhone 5 is going to have the best resale value logically because its the latest model. If you are not happy with the 4" display because you feel it's too small, I can't see why you'd consider buying an older iPhone with an even smaller display. Perhaps you haven't quite explained it correctly?

----------

Just buy an iPhone 4 for now and put up with its smaller display. There isn't really much choice with iPhones, but you should get a return on your money in a couple of months time. I doubt you'll make a profit though. :)

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I am not satisfied with the current iphone 5. The display is too small and its more of the same old. But nevertheless I need a smartphone now. So I want to buy an iphone now and sell it later when the 5" iphone with fingerprint reader is announced.

Which iphone would have the best resale value? the iphone4, 4s or 5? I am also assuming that the 16gb loses its value the least compared to 32gb or 64gb.

iphone 5 has the biggest screen amongst other iphones at the moment. it also will fetch you the highest resale value.

based on your above scenario, the only (and best) option for you is to stay put. or you can sell your iphone 5, and pick up a note 2.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Just get the Note 2 if you want a huge phone. There's no point in buying an iPhone 5 and holding out for a mythical 5" iPhone that doesn't even exist and is just based on rumors.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
no since android phones don't retain their resale value as well as iphone. I just want to know which iphone and which configuration will net me the most money in the near future.

I don't want cheap plastic phones otherwise I would have already bought the s3 or note2

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Please stop viewing technology as an investment, unless you're actually an investor or are putting it on some sort of asset register.

Buy the phone you want. Expect to sell for nothing. Always happy.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Even though Apple keeps denying a larger screen is coming since they NOW feel the 4" screen is optimal (like they said the 3.5" screen was before it) its just not likely to be here in 2013. If anything Apple wouldn't release a bigger screened iPhone until 2014 or later at the earliest.

If you need a larger iOS device get the iPad mini and tether it to your iPhone 5 but don't forget the portable battery charger since you are using the power of both devices.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I'm guessing you are not using an upgrade, so would have to pay the full retail on the phone? The best option by far is to buy a mint, used iPhone 4/4S off CL/eBay. The prior owned already took a bulk of the lost value.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012

Try the Galaxy S3. You won't get your 5" iPhone this year, so your attempt at retaining resale value won't be worth it if you're gonna be using a phone with a small screen for a couple years.

marcoity

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Seattle
you can find gsm iphone 4 16gb from 200-250, 4s 250-350, 5 for 500+ on CL. Lets say you use it for 5-6 months till about when 5" comes out. Value of the phones imo would roughly go down by 50-75 bucks(for 4 & 4s ), 100(for 5) bucks. So just buy the phone that meets your needs, because whichever phone you buy will lose its value by about 50-100 bucks.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
no since android phones don't retain their resale value as well as iphone. I just want to know which iphone and which configuration will net me the most money in the near future.

I don't want cheap plastic phones otherwise I would have already bought the s3 or note2

Im sorry but cant you figure that out? The newest iphone would obviously have the greater value. Your question is full of contradictions. The phone is too small, yet you want to buy it?

Tedya

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Hate to steer you to Android but depending on what carrier you are with, Nexus 4 would lose the least money.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
A: The iPhone with the most resale value is the iPhone 5 32 or 64 gb.
B: Why would you wait for an iPhone that for now is a myth?
C: Where did you get a crazy idea that any upcoming iPhone will have a fingerprint reader???

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
And what if the next iPhone doesn't have a bigger screen? Then all of this will have been a waste of time. I'd say just stick with what you have now and wait until we get closer for more concrete rumours/leaks to surface. Then make this decision.

As for resale, the most current model will retain its value the best.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The iPhone 5 as of now is the most re-sale. If I decide to cell my iPhone 5 64GB on Gazelle, I could get as high as $500.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
A: The iPhone with the most resale value is the iPhone 5 32 or 64 gb.
B: Why would you wait for an iPhone that for now is a myth?
C: Where did you get a crazy idea that any upcoming iPhone will have a fingerprint reader???

16GB has the best resale value -
you will never get $108 more for a 32GB over a 16GB
you will never get $216 more for a 64GB over a 16GB

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
The iPhone 5 as of now is the most re-sale. If I decide to cell my iPhone 5 64GB on Gazelle, I could get as high as $500.

400$ depreciation in less than 6 months, and you think it's the highest resale value?

OP I don't understand why you're blowing money on a phone that you know you will hate. Get a cheap android and even if you scrap it once you get your dream phone you'll still lose about as much as you would with depreciation.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
400$ depreciation in less than 6 months, and you think it's the highest resale value?

OP I don't understand why you're blowing money on a phone that you know you will hate. Get a cheap android and even if you scrap it once you get your dream phone you'll still lose about as much as you would with depreciation.

There is no depretiation at all. I purchase the 64 GB at a price of $399+ Tax and will recover my entire loss even after 4 months of purchase. According to gazelle as I write this my iPhone will give me an income of $500.00. A hundred above the price I purchased. To the OP, your hopes for a fingerprint reader and 5" screen is unlikely to happen this year. The most likely scenario that history ha proven is apple producing one phone a year. Apple has made countless press conferences saying that they have found the "perfect" screen size of 4". The rumored iPhone 5S will have 4" with minor internals. Your hope for a 5" screen will most likely be seen in 2014.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
There is no depretiation at all. I purchase the 64 GB at a price of $399+ Tax and will recover my entire loss even after 4 months of purchase. According to gazelle as I write this my iPhone will give me an income of $500.00. A hundred above the price I purchased. To the OP, your hopes for a fingerprint reader and 5" screen is unlikely to happen this year. The most likely scenario that history ha proven is apple producing one phone a year. Apple has made countless press conferences saying that they have found the "perfect" screen size of 4". The rumored iPhone 5S will have 4" with minor internals. Your hope for a 5" screen will most likely be seen in 2014.

So where are you getting a new iphone 5 for $399 WITHOUT CONTRACT? The actual retail price for a brand new unlocked 5 without contract isn't $399 its $849 + Tax. Gazelle will be giving you <$400.00 for a 5 when the 5s/6 is announced. So if you're going to use $399 price point for your math, you're going to have to include ETF's. (Yes, I know some shady people or ones with 'hook-ups' can get the 5 for $399 without contract, but I'm talking about the average joe blow here.)

For the OP....
Do you have to buy a new phone? Buying a used iphone 4/4s will give you the best 'resale' as the biggest depreciation hit has already been done. The highest resale 'value' will definitely be the 5 as it will have the highest value at sell time, BUT you will lose the most cash as $849 to $400 will cause you a net loss of $449+ vs buying a used iphone 4s around $300 and selling it for $200 when the new iphone comes out.
I just don't know if I could deal with a 'slow' 4 at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.