Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonrhcp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
I have a new rMBP and i have about 80gb used. Im trying to back it up via time machine but it says that total backup is 3.54gb. That cant be right. How do I get time machine to fully backup??
Thank you so much!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestion is that you abandon Time Machine and back up with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, instead.

Either of the above will give you a fully-bootable "clone" of your internal drive, in POFF (plain old finder format). You'll have a backup that is instantly mountable and also bootable -- invaluable to have around in a "moment of extreme need".

Carbon Copy Cloner can ever replicate the "recovery partition", and it can also "archive" old files (similar to ™).

CCC is in every way SUPERIOR to Time Machine. I would recommend that you consider it.

jasonrhcp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
What Im trying to do is transfer everything from my macbook pro to my mac pro. I dont have a firewire cable. Time machine seemed convenient until that point.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
As for me Time Machine works like a charm. Make sure you're not excluding folders from backup.

----------

What Im trying to do is transfer everything from my macbook pro to my mac pro. I dont have a firewire cable. Time machine seemed convenient until that point.

Ahh, try an Ethernet cable.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have a new rMBP and i have about 80gb used. Im trying to back it up via time machine but it says that total backup is 3.54gb. That cant be right. How do I get time machine to fully backup??
Thank you so much!

The total backup will be a little less than the total data on the drive because TM does not backup certain cache or swap files, but not the difference you are seeing.

I would stop the TM backup and reformat the external TM destination drive.

Then reindex Spotlight by dragging Macintosh HD into and then back out of the Spotlight exclusions list in System Preferences. TM uses Spotlight data, and this can often fix it.

Wait for Spotlight to finish reindexing then restart the machine and try a new TM backup.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That did not work.
Thanks though!

Okay... one other idea. Let's reset permissions and access control lists (ACL) from Recovery HD.

Follow these steps.

Restart your computer from the recovery partition by booting while holding command-r keys both at the same time.

While in recovery open Disk Utility and run a permissions repair on Macintosh HD. Quit Disk Utility.

Open Terminal from the Utilities menu. Type in "resetpassword" and select your user account from the drop down menu, then click the Reset button at the bottom of the window in the Reset home folder permissions and ACLs section.

Quit the Password Utility and go back to the main recovery screen.

Now hit command-q to quit recovery. Then restart and try Time Machine again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.