Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Apple retail stores exchanging items from resellers

Has anyone ever successfully exchanged a faulty or damaged product purchased from a reseller, at an Apple Store, within 14 days of purchase?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:33 AM   #2
maflynn

I think if that occurs, is the exception rather then the rule. There's an expectation that if you bought an apple product from other then the apple store then you need to return/exchange it from where you bought it.

I'm sure some people were successful in exchanging non apple purchased apple items but I think thats rare
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:46 AM   #3
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

I exchanged an iPhone 5 purchased on sale at bestbuy at an Apple Store. Phone was purchased less than 30 days prior, activated less than 15 days prior.

I didn't even have to show a receipt.
noisycats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

I think they do exchange products purchased from their online store though but I suppose they're the same company.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
I exchanged an iPhone 5 purchased on sale at bestbuy at an Apple Store. Phone was purchased less than 30 days prior, activated less than 15 days prior.

I didn't even have to show a receipt.
Did you tell them it was purchased at Best Buy? What was wrong with it?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Your fully entitled to a warrenty replacement through apple regardless of place of purchase.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:33 AM   #6
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Bought my iMac from reseller. iMac died and went to Apple Store. They replaced it with new one even though 21 months old. Old one was under Applecare. Where you buy does not seem to make difference to Apple.
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Has anyone ever successfully exchanged a faulty or damaged product purchased from a reseller, at an Apple Store, within 14 days of purchase?
Remember, in the end Apple will end up with their faulty equipment whether you return it to the reseller or to an Apple store directly. I've never had problems with an Apple Store looking at something I bought form an authorized reseller. Just be sure to register it with Apple.... Just in case!
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:08 AM   #8
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
I think they do exchange products purchased from their online store though but I suppose they're the same company.

----------

Did you tell them it was purchased at Best Buy? What was wrong with it?
They never asked. I wasn't being cagey either.

We were on vacation and the phone would not hold a signal. Kept giving "no SIM card" error. I figured I would get better service at a random Apple Store than a random BestBuy.

Went in, described the problem. He punched some numbers from my phone into his device (this is likely where he was confirming authenticity and eligibility). Then went into the back and brought out an all new iPhone.

As posted, I think Apple will cover any legitimately sold Apple product.
noisycats is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice