Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:13 AM   #1
powerwagon
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Something I've noticed coming from Android...

Let me preface this with the fact that I have been a long time Android user, dating back to the original Droid. I have strayed from time to time (iPhone 4 and 4s, as well as a couple blackberries and the lumia 900). Anyway, something I've noticed on each respective forums is that the iPhone crowd is absolutely top notch. I see a lot less bitching and fanboyism on the Apple side than I do with Android and especially the blackberry side. I just left the Note 2 for the iPhone 5, so I've been saturating my brain on this site for the last week or so, and I must say that I have been impressed with the level of maturity and genuine help being offered here. With Android, all I see is people trying to impress others with their knowledge, or who can be the biggest smartass. With Blackberry, it is just infuriating to see the level of fanboyism they have...they are THE WORST by far when it comes to sticking their head in the sand and turning off the common sense meter.

Anyway, please keep it up...I'm sure I'll have some questions at some point. Awesome phone by the way...I jailbroke it on day one and have yet to find anything it won't do compared to my Android...and I've found a few things it will do that I couldn't with the almighty Note 2.
powerwagon is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:25 AM   #2
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
In general these forums are great. A lot of users own both platforms and are open to the fact each has its perks and flaws.
mattopotamus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:06 AM   #3
ChazUK
macrumors 603
 
ChazUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex (UK)
I'm guessing that the OP didn't really want this thread moved from the iPhone section into the alternatives to iOS section giving that it's singing the praises of the more mature iPhone users!



OOPS.....
__________________
HTC One | Sony Xperia SP | iPhone 4s | The Brick
LG Gpad | iPad Mini Retina | iPad 2 3g
ChazUK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
mikeo007
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Every crowd has its fanboys, but I agree. This forum seems to be well behaved and open minded. Much more so than any Android forum or especially Blackberry forum.

I can understand why people are so intense...it's like dealing with wounded animals. While they spend their time trying to justify their phone choice, the majority of iOS users seem to spend the majority of their time enjoying their phone of choice.
__________________
iPhone 5 -:- iPad 3 -:- 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
mikeo007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:12 PM   #5
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
You get idiots in every camp.

I don't see why people can't be objective about things.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:19 PM   #6
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
You get idiots in every camp.

I don't see why people can't be objective about things.
Who you calling an idiot?
daveathall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:24 PM   #7
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Who you calling an idiot?
Not you haha!
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Android is so complex that you get answers from all directions. And it's a really young crowd. I've been on XDA since 2007, but I try and stay away as much as possible for that reason. Arguments always break out everyday over there. They don't even really use their devices to begin with, they just slap tweak after tweak and flash different builds week after week.

Most of us here actually use our phones and tablets. Just like iPhone/iPad users use theirs.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPod Shuffle (2012) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:03 PM   #9
wgr73
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Mexico
OP,

What I've noticed having made the switch to Android (only my iPhone, still have Apple-everything else ) Is the Android side is more open, therefore allowing people to mod at their will. This = people trying to do things they don't know how to do = people who do what they're doing getting pissed. And they tend to leave noobs on their own, or, in the Newb section. Noobs still ask in threads they shouldn't and end up getting flamed, a lot!

So in that regard, yes. I agree. But there are a lot of really smart people that make ROMs, tweaks, add-ons, kernels, ect....that don't have time to deal with questions like: How do I flash your ROM? or, What is a Kernal? ...people need to research. Look at the jailbreak section on these forums and you'll see traces of the same mentality. Got to Apple Dev forums and you'll see the same thing.


EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Android is so complex that you get answers from all directions. And it's a really young crowd. I've been on XDA since 2007, but I try and stay away as much as possible for that reason. Arguments always break out everyday over there. They don't even really use their devices to begin with, they just slap tweak after tweak and flash different builds week after week.

Most of us here actually use our phones and tablets. Just like iPhone/iPad users use theirs.

Exactly
__________________
MacBook Air (2013): 13", i7/8/512
iPhone 5s: 32gb Black
iPad rMini: 64gb Wifi Black
Flickr
wgr73 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:14 PM   #10
dkersten
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
After using a very early Android phone (Droid Eris) I swore Android off because it had so many problems. Then after almost 2 years on an iPhone 4 I got curious about Android and picked up a GS3. Since then I have preferred Android for my phone needs and iOS on tablets (just my personal opinion).

Anyways my point being that both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. There are definitely irrational people defending both platforms and many people who prefer one side but see the merits of both platforms.
dkersten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:37 PM   #11
powerwagon
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
This thread is a perfect example of what I was talking about. On any other forum there would have been bickering and name calling by now...not here however. Very mature thought out responses...I'm definitely enjoying this site. Mike007...I've seen you quite a bit over on crackberry...now those guys crack me up.
powerwagon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:59 PM   #12
IFRIT
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwagon View Post
This thread is a perfect example of what I was talking about. On any other forum there would have been bickering and name calling by now...not here however. Very mature thought out responses...I'm definitely enjoying this site. Mike007...I've seen you quite a bit over on crackberry...now those guys crack me up.
To be fair alot comes down to moderating, name calling and such will just get your posts deleted and a warning from the mods on here.
.
IFRIT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:23 PM   #13
KnightMan
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Ummm, yeah whatever you say OP.
KnightMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:21 PM   #14
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Android is so complex that you get answers from all directions. And it's a really young crowd. I've been on XDA since 2007, but I try and stay away as much as possible for that reason. Arguments always break out everyday over there. They don't even really use their devices to begin with, they just slap tweak after tweak and flash different builds week after week.

Most of us here actually use our phones and tablets. Just like iPhone/iPad users use theirs.
While I do find XDA very informative, I agree about answers from all directions. Plus you have soooooo many forums and sub-forums it is hard to even know where to post of look. Also very quick to spend more time telling someone they should have searched (in a 100+ page thread) than it would have taken to just answer the question. You don't get as much of that here.

I do find Android Central to be fairly open though. There was a thread about the iPhone 5 vs some top-end Android phone and, at least the first page or two that I read, seemed very open without the jabs I had expected to see. To be honest, had the reverse happened here I don't think it would have been as "tame."



Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:35 PM   #15
b166er
macrumors 68020
 
b166er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philly
One of the funniest, and most relatable comics I've ever read

__________________
Wait... I had something for this.
b166er is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:00 PM   #16
hovscorpion12
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Thats why we have IOS, Android, BB OS 10 & windows Phone 8. Theres always going to be people inter-changing, expanding the variety. Myself including.
hovscorpion12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:02 AM   #17
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
I'm guessing that the OP didn't really want this thread moved from the iPhone section into the alternatives to iOS section giving that it's singing the praises of the more mature iPhone users!

Image

OOPS.....
That error has been rectified
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:16 AM   #18
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
OP: Glad you are with us. I went from a Drod to an IP4 to a GS3, then back to the IP5. One of the primary reasons is that if there is a technical question, it is usually answered quickly and efficiently here. You have to really dig and search on the Android forums. And by the way, there are a lot fewer technical questions here. Apple's stuff works really well and when there is a glitch, like it the latest IOS update for the 4S, it is fixed quickly. Android updates are few and far between.
jimbo1mcm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:19 AM   #19
jasvncnt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Android is so complex that you get answers from all directions. And it's a really young crowd. I've been on XDA since 2007, but I try and stay away as much as possible for that reason. Arguments always break out everyday over there. They don't even really use their devices to begin with, they just slap tweak after tweak and flash different builds week after week.

Most of us here actually use our phones and tablets. Just like iPhone/iPad users use theirs.
Only cause we can
jasvncnt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:36 AM   #20
taedouni
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
I recently got a Note 2 to replace my iPhone 5. I was in love with that phone and enjoyed flashing custom roms. That phone was as smooth as butter and amazing. But 30 days later I went back to the iPhone 5. Now I have to sell the Note 2 quickly in order to pay the bill.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:43 AM   #21
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Android is so complex that you get answers from all directions. And it's a really young crowd. I've been on XDA since 2007, but I try and stay away as much as possible for that reason. Arguments always break out everyday over there. They don't even really use their devices to begin with, they just slap tweak after tweak and flash different builds week after week.

Most of us here actually use our phones and tablets. Just like iPhone/iPad users use theirs.
Yeah, that also is the modus operandi of PC fanboys. They spend more time working on their devices than they do enjoying them or using them for legitimate work.

That's why when I was younger I used to be into PCs and Linux, but as I grew up and just needed something to get through the day's assignments I went Apple.

A lot of Android fanboys point out how infinitely customizable and tweakable Android is. They point out how you can do this odd hack or this "cool" tweak and I always ask "why would I want to?"
__________________
Macbook Pro Retina, 32GB iPad 3 with Verizon LTE, 32GB iPhone 5
Gregintosh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:55 AM   #22
jasvncnt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregintosh View Post
Yeah, that also is the modus operandi of PC fanboys. They spend more time working on their devices than they do enjoying them or using them for legitimate work.

That's why when I was younger I used to be into PCs and Linux, but as I grew up and just needed something to get through the day's assignments I went Apple.

A lot of Android fanboys point out how infinitely customizable and tweakable Android is. They point out how you can do this odd hack or this "cool" tweak and I always ask "why would I want to?"
I feel the same about some of the tweaks here. This is just my opinion.....as I dont have an iphone anymore but still try and keep up because family members still do. It seems like when I look at many of the tweaks that are out..it seems like they are the same tweaks that were out long ago. Another way to change the color of your keyboard...another way to change this...Im sure im wrong but just how it feels
jasvncnt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:46 AM   #23
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvncnt View Post
I feel the same about some of the tweaks here. This is just my opinion.....as I dont have an iphone anymore but still try and keep up because family members still do. It seems like when I look at many of the tweaks that are out..it seems like they are the same tweaks that were out long ago. Another way to change the color of your keyboard...another way to change this...Im sure im wrong but just how it feels
No, that's correct also. That is why I don't jailbreak my device and get into that whole world. In all honesty, once Jailbroken you can pretty much control everything on the OS like in Android and the lines kind of blur in that you can do all the same useless hacks, tweaks, etc. on both platforms.

Most people who talk about Android being infinitely customizable fail to mention that your device has to be rooted for all the best stuff (their version of Jailbreaking). In all honesty, both platforms are equally customizable if you are willing to root/Jailbreak. So that argument is out the window.

But again, why would anyone want to?

I mean sure I can understand some people like it as a hobby and that's fine. But normal people who just want to enjoy life don't really need any of that stuff.
__________________
Macbook Pro Retina, 32GB iPad 3 with Verizon LTE, 32GB iPhone 5
Gregintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:55 AM   #24
ChazUK
macrumors 603
 
ChazUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex (UK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
That error has been rectified
Good moderation ftw!
__________________
HTC One | Sony Xperia SP | iPhone 4s | The Brick
LG Gpad | iPad Mini Retina | iPad 2 3g
ChazUK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:57 AM   #25
LostMyiPhone
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
You couldn't be more wrong.

There are so many blind "sheeple" that use apple products and will defend apple to their death.
LostMyiPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC