Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
I wonder if they will still sell the current generation Mini alongside a retina version - like the iPad 2 and 4th Gen Retina iPad.

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
No.......... Yes.......... Maybe

No upadte will come without a keynote event, so if Apple hasn't reserved a location there won't be an update.

There still might be a new mini next month. There were reports of a company starting to manufacture a 7.9 inch retina panel back in December. Mobile World Congress is in 2 weeks where it is expected multiple new tablets will be announced. Apple knows this.

Last year around this time to mid Feb we started seeing more solid part leaks for a retina iPad

I don't know, just my opinion a mini 2 or iPad 5 may still come out in march.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
It won't come out until October and don't count on it having a retina screen. It will probably have a better processor/ram/GPU but screen won't be retina. Why would you buy an iPad 5 when the iPad Mini has as good of a screen quality/performance but it's $170 cheaper?

They would kill the full sized iPad and you already know Apple never does stuff like that.

There's ALWAYS a trade off. Just like the iPod Touch 5G not having 4G. Who would buy an iPhone when they could get an iPod Touch with data and effectively have a phone that just doesn't have a dedicated phone number? Yes, it would be $400 but no contract and usable with any carrier.

Apple never lets a product step on another product's toes.

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
It won't come out until October and don't count on it having a retina screen. It will probably have a better processor/ram/GPU but screen won't be retina. Why would you buy an iPad 5 when the iPad Mini has as good of a screen quality/performance but it's $170 cheaper?

They would kill the full sized iPad and you already know Apple never does stuff like that.

There's ALWAYS a trade off. Just like the iPod Touch 5G not having 4G. Who would buy an iPhone when they could get an iPod Touch with data and effectively have a phone that just doesn't have a dedicated phone number? Yes, it would be $400 but no contract and usable with any carrier.

Apple never lets a product step on another product's toes.

Tim Cook disagrees with you. Quote from his conference call today:

"I get asked about cannibalization a lot. The first time I remember being asked about this was the iBook versus the PowerBook. When the iPad came out, people said we were going to kill the Mac. The truth is we don't think about that. If we don't cannibalize, someone else will. In the case of iPad, the Windows PC market is huge, and there's a lot more there to cannibalize than there is of Mac. If a company ever begins to use cannibalization as a major factor in their decision-making, it's the beginning of the end. Because if they don't, someone else will. "

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Tim Cook disagrees with you. Quote from his conference call today:

"I get asked about cannibalization a lot. The first time I remember being asked about this was the iBook versus the PowerBook. When the iPad came out, people said we were going to kill the Mac. The truth is we don't think about that. If we don't cannibalize, someone else will. In the case of iPad, the Windows PC market is huge, and there's a lot more there to cannibalize than there is of Mac. If a company ever begins to use cannibalization as a major factor in their decision-making, it's the beginning of the end. Because if they don't, someone else will. "

Apple knows it can't compete with Windows market share in the PC market so they're putting more hype into ipad.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There still might be a new mini next month. There were reports of a company starting to manufacture a 7.9 inch retina panel back in December. Mobile World Congress is in 2 weeks where it is expected multiple new tablets will be announced. Apple knows this.

Last year around this time to mid Feb we started seeing more solid part leaks for a retina iPad

I don't know, just my opinion a mini 2 or iPad 5 may still come out in march.

It doesn't matter if the screens are already made, no Keynote event, no Mini 2.

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
So you're saying they can't decide to announce a key note speech a week before the date in march? Not saying I know that they will but they have more money than General Motors, pretty sure they could announce it from Antarctica if they wanted to.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Wait for the 4, i hear there will be a new dock connector the size of a needle.

I have heard that as well. However the limiting factor is replacement cable prices. Apple patented the design. New ones are $190.00. An industry first.

The value comes in the fact they're a full two inches longer than current cables.

For a very modest $250.00 you can have one in black. The higher price will help Apple raise their bottom line. :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
True, but when was the last time an iOS keynote was on the Apple Campus (I honestly don't remember)?

Are we talking about an iOS event in this thread or the iPad mini 2 event? Not really the same. And the last iOS preview event on campus was for iOS 4 in 2010.

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
I highly doubt iPad mini 2 would come in march.....coz it will make Apple loyalists very unhappy about their devices being obsolete so fast.

Also manufacturing retina displays would be a production issue.

lastly I just got iPad mini in addition to my faithful iPad 3....:D so I would hope that my iPad mini would remain latest for some more time :eek::p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.