Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tylernol

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
I've long been tired of the "Apple better do X quickly or they'll miss the opportunity forever." (see: blu-ray, 3G for the iPhone, etc.)

So I won't go so far as to say, "THEY NEED A BIGGER SCREEN OR THE COMPANY WILL DIE."

But they need to do something. iOS is getting desperately long-in-tooth. Aside from a slightly longer screen, very little has changed about the hardware in 3+ years now. I'm not counting them out, but I starting to get a little antsy.

What do you mean by "Very little has changed about the hardware". Do you mean how it looks? Because Apple is not going to drastically change the looks, they will refine it. They got it right the first time. Perhaps an updated UI with iOS7 this year. And in terms of actual hardware/chips, the A6 and LTE chipset are a huge improvement.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
2014. Why so early? Why not wait until 2015? No. That's rushing headlong. 2017 is better. Yeah. No wait. 2020.

In 2020 Apple will make an iPhone with a big screen like Samsung has today.

Riiiiight.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Apparently they aren't embarrassed to display ignorance either.

The part about revamping iOS to support more cores is perfectly silly and displays the writers considerable ignorance. If Apples guidelines re followed most apps would benefit from ore cores immediately, this includes Apps Apple writes. The real trick is to use all those cores without draining the battery excessively.

I wonder if analysts ever get cramps in their arms from throwing all this #$&*@ against the wall to see what sticks. :rolleyes:

Hey if it leads to a fat paycheck with little real effort or intelligence why not throw #$&*@ the wall. Live fat and drive a nice car. All you need is to be free from susceptibility to embarrassment.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
If Apple did release an iPhone with a 4.8" display, I'd seriously consider going iPhone again. :cool:

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
It makes sense. Odd years are S updates. 2009 3GS 2011 4S 2013 5S.
I would love to see an updated iOS though. However, Apple tends to take its time and usually a better product is the result.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Why would you buy every iPhone ever made? I've owned exactly two iPhones since Apple has come out with them. Currently on an iPhone 4 and likely will stay with it until it becomes troublesome.

As to iPads I get far more value out of my iPad 3 than my iPhone or MBP for that matter. Even so I don't update every cycle there either. Frankly I work hard for my dollars and spend them carefully. Further I avoid getting emotional about a product.

I can honestly say if Apple comes out with 4.8" screen I will not be buying it. I've had every iPhone since the 3G and 4.8" is just too big. The iPhone 5 is a pretty decent size. I have no need for a mini iPad Mini. It's just too much.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
So the DAY after Tim Cook says Apple feels that their choice to deliberately stay away from OLED displays, claiming their displays are superior, the 'analysts' say they are going to shift to OLED?

Not commenting on whether or not I personally want OLED, but, Tim Cook did JUST cite OLED displays as one of the shortcomings of the competition, evidently he and Apples engineering team finds them inferior to the type of displays Apple is currently using (IPS)

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I'm not sure that anyone thought the iPhone 6 was coming this year anyway? As far as I know, the general consensus has long pointed to 5s.

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
I'm not against Apple launching a larger iPhone so long as a smaller model with updated internals and external of the larger iPhone will still be available.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Obviously the guy is an idiot!!!!! Err excuse me an analyst.

My thoughts where along the same lines as your when I first saw this article. Now Apple could do a few things to make the use of those cores more power efficient. For example the could turn them off completely when user apps aren't running but that is a system tweak and would be completely transparent to user apps.

I take such revelations as a sign of appealing to rich but dumb stock holders.

"We think Apple plans to re-architect iOS to utilize more cores and better compete with Samsung."

iOS is already heavily multi-threaded as are most of the apps I write thanks to GCD making it brain dead simple.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Why would you buy every iPhone ever made? I've owned exactly two iPhones since Apple has come out with them. Currently on an iPhone 4 and likely will stay with it until it becomes troublesome.

As to iPads I get far more value out of my iPad 3 than my iPhone or MBP for that matter. Even so I don't update every cycle there either. Frankly I work hard for my dollars and spend them carefully. Further I avoid getting emotional about a product.

Because I am the primary of my AT&T line so up until this year I could upgrade yearly. I would sell my previous iPhone for what I paid for the new one so I broke even every year. This is the only year I upgraded early. I didn't plan on it either, I was holding out for the 5S, but my 4S lock button broke and I got AT&T to waive the $250 early upgrade fee.

I work extremely hard for my money as well, I am also paying my own way through UCSD, but I figure if I can upgrade at no cost, there is no harm in it. I figure that I can upgrade my iPhone for cost of selling my old one, rather than having to she'll out money to upgrade my iPad. I'm using a launch day iPad 2 and it works perfectly.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
ugh sick of hearing this.

How many times does apple need to say they're not making it before people will finally get the hint?

muuhamed

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2013
This shouldn't even be news, it's pretty obvious now for those who know Apple that there is a redesigned iPhone every 2 years.

Now, we don't know if Apple will make it a 4.8 inch screen or stick with 4 inches but with time we will know as we get closer to next year

By the way, all this crap about a "lower cost iPhone" is getting old, there isn't a reason to make one, there are plenty of used iPhone 3GS' and iPhone 4's that start from $50 on craigslist and eBay and 4S' that start from $100 so there are plenty of options for those who seek to buy a cheap iPhone

Last edited:

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Well.. yah

iphone 4 2010 (redesign)
iphone 4s 2011
iphone 5 2012 (redesign)
iphone 5s 2013
iphone 6 2014 (redesign)

Wasn't this obvious?

muuhamed

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2013
hmm launch of ios7 and iPhone 6 (4.8 inch screen) coincide with each other sounds about right

No it doesn't sound right -_____-

Apple releases a new OS with every new iPhone, meaning for the iPhone 5S, there will be a new OS which will be iOS 7

For the iPhone 6, there will be iOS 8

mr.mcgoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2006
It won't be called iTV

ITV is the main rival to the BBC in the UK and a household name there since the 1950's.

And Apple are well aware of this having been warned by ITV about using the name already.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
"For the first time ever we've increased the size of the display. By making the screen taller, but NOT WIDER, you can still comfortably use it with one hand." - Jony Ive

"It is really easy to make a new product that is bigger, everyone does that, that's not the challenge, the challenge is to make it better, AND SMALLER". - Phil Schiller

They are just spinning. They are promoting what they sell. The spin will change once the product does. I remember times when Apple was convinced that tablets smaller than 9" were useless...

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
"We think Apple plans to re-architect iOS to utilize more cores and better compete with Samsung."

iOS is already heavily multi-threaded as are most of the apps I write thanks to GCD making it brain dead simple.

The analyst also refers to Apple's plans to develop a new "app processor" :rolleyes: It's obvious that he knows nothing about tech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.