Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Am I the only one that doesn't want a larger screen? I wasn't even in favor for the larger iPhone 5 screen but glad they didn't make it wider.

The big phones look ridiculous on you when you are on the phone and you need two hands to type. I do value the one hand use. Putting them in your pocket is annoying too and I'm a taller guy. Larger screen means less battery life as well.

If I want a larger screen I use a tablet or computer, I want my phone to be extremely portable and long lasting.

macnoodle

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
No, you're not the only one. A phone is always going to be a compromise as far as the screen is concerned, so why make it a compromise in the phone department as well? The larger phones look ridiculous and feel uncomfortable to hold when being used as a phone. IMO they are trying too hard to be the master of all trades, and ultimately they sacrifice too much in the process.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Yes you are the only one.

No you aren't the only one.

And as such, the thread comes to a close.

Except: this is the internet:
Where no infraction upon my opinion shall be tolerated, and therefore: this thread will run into 6 pages of to-ing and fro-ing.

Godspeed to you all.

Last edited:

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I like the smallest device possible. I've been wanting a 3.5 wrapped in a smaller body. I go mountain biking with my phone and big phones get in the way.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I don't really care if they make a bigger iPhone. But if they do, they better keep the smaller one too. If the only iPhone is bigger than 4", I'll have to either keep my 4S or just get a 5 next time I upgrade.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I would like a slightly wider phone than the 5. Doesn't have to be Note size, but something close to s3 would be nice.

I mainly like to read books on my phone. And just a touch bigger would be perfect for me.

Also, I already use two hands on my iPhone 4 to text/type, so that wouldn't be an issue.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I love the size of the iPhone 5. I could tolerate a larger screen but wouldn't prefer it to be bigger, if that makes sense haha.

iUseBoth

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Am I the only one that doesn't want a larger screen? I wasn't even in favor for the larger iPhone 5 screen but glad they didn't make it wider.

The big phones look ridiculous on you when you are on the phone and you need two hands to type. I do value the one hand use. Putting them in your pocket is annoying too and I'm a taller guy. Larger screen means less battery life as well.

If I want a larger screen I use a tablet or computer, I want my phone to be extremely portable and long lasting.

you must have really small hands. My wife uses her GS3 with one hand all day and twice on Sunday.

You should play a youtube video on your iPhone and on a SGS3 side by side and see where your eyes go.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Am I the only one that doesn't want a larger screen?

Don't feel bad. I wanted a triangular screen. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.

----------

I like the smallest device possible. I've been wanting a 3.5 wrapped in a smaller body. I go mountain biking with my phone and big phones get in the way.

Wow, your iPhone must take a beating. What case do you have? Otterbox Sherman Tank Edition?

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
you must have really small hands. My wife uses her GS3 with one hand all day and twice on Sunday.

You should play a youtube video on your iPhone and on a SGS3 side by side and see where your eyes go.

I'm. 6'4 with big hands i can easily hold a mini ipad easily.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I'm sorry but you need to check out the galaxy note 2 and tell me if battery is an issue. Remember, a larger phone will mean a larger battery. Also, larger phones don't require 326 ppi in order to look good.

I personally feel that a 4.3-4.5" screen would do the iPhone justice. I struggle with the keyboard due to having large hands.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011

I went from the 4s to the 5 and thought at first, that there was not that much difference and got used to the 5. Now when I have my wife's 4s to sync or work on it for her, it looks and feels so small. I know it isn't but it is amazing what we get used to

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
I do not want anything bigger than the 5. TBH, I was fully satisfied with the 4s size but now have grown accustomed to the size of the 5. I don't think I'd want much bigger though unless they can somehow make the top/bottom smaller.... I already ditched the case cause all of the iPhone 5 cases just make the thing *that* much bigger...

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
I do not want anything bigger than the 5. TBH, I was fully satisfied with the 4s size but now have grown accustomed to the size of the 5. I don't think I'd want much bigger though unless they can somehow make the top/bottom smaller.... I already ditched the case cause all of the iPhone 5 cases just make the thing *that* much bigger...

Agreed on no bigger in size. Feel the 5 is perfect, at least for me

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Agreed on no bigger in size. Feel the 5 is perfect, at least for me

Agreed the iPhone 5 is a good size. With all these rumors of a 4.8" screen, I'm not really happy about it. I would hate to jump ship from Apple, but I can't go bigger than 4". It's a phone, not a tablet.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
Agreed the iPhone 5 is a good size. With all these rumors of a 4.8" screen, I'm not really happy about it. I would hate to jump ship from Apple, but I can't go bigger than 4". It's a phone, not a tablet.

Agreed if they change and don't offer the present size I would have to leave

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011

I love the size of the iPhone 5 screen.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I dont know, I think the iphone looks kind of funny when people talk on it, its so tiny..
tiny-iphone-5.jpg

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
You guys who keep pining for a teeny, tiny phone ever think that maybe a smartphone just may not be for you?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I like small screens and I cannot lie
You other users can't deny
That when a phone walks in with an itty bitty screen
And a square thing in your face
You get sprung, wanna pull out your tough
'Cause you notice that screen was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh iPhone, I wanna get with you
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But that screen you got makes me so ornery
Ooh, phone-o'-smooth-skin
You say you wanna get in my Benz?
Well, use me, use me
'Cause you ain't that average texter
I've seen them textin'
To hell with callin'
Don't dip it in sweat, wet,
Got it goin' like a turbo 'Vette
I'm tired of magazines
Sayin' big screens are the thing
Take the average tech man and ask him that
It's gotta pack petite back
So, fellas! (Yeah!) Fellas! (Yeah!)
Has your phone got the small screen? (Hell yeah!)
Tell 'em to shake it! (Shake it!) Shake it! (Shake it!)
Shake that healthy screen!
Baby got back!

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I don't really see how 1/2 inch is really a big deal. It's not like the Galaxy Note 2. I feel like 4 inches is the sweet spot...

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I'm sorry but you need to check out the galaxy note 2 and tell me if battery is an issue. Remember, a larger phone will mean a larger battery. Also, larger phones don't require 326 ppi in order to look good.

I personally feel that a 4.3-4.5" screen would do the iPhone justice. I struggle with the keyboard due to having large hands.

I have the 4s but wouldn't mind slightly larger. I had considered switching to motorola razr m which is 4.3" and I think a perfect size but the screen is subpar compared to iphone and the camera is not good either. i'll probably switch to iPhone 5. Not really interested in 5" iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.