Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Looked up that stylus, looks interesting. However, the contact email on the site bounces back, the Kickstarter is full of annoyed customer who can't get in touch with the guy, the Hand Stylus twitter has been dead since august, and I can't find any other way to contact the guy. Some tweets mention having met the guy at MacWorld which is going on now, so it's very peculiar.

O-oh, doesn't look too good - does it?
Meanwhile, I'm already looking at the GoSmart. Comments anyone?

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
O-oh, doesn't look too good - does it?
Meanwhile, I'm already looking at the GoSmart. Comments anyone?

I have had a Jot, which is similar in some ways. I hated it, because I use my styluses for writing notes. The Jot is more accurate than a rubber nib stylus, however it's also annoying to lift up and put back down because the disc has to realign, so it's more suited for drawing than writing. On top of that, it's not accurate enough to stop using zoom box writing for me, which means the accuracy goes to waste. It ended up with a friend of mine who likes to draw instead.

Not sure if this translates to the GoSmart, but wouldn't be surprised if it does

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I switched from the Bamboo to the Maglus just yesterday because the Bamboo was too mushy. I felt like the rubber would tear before too long.

The Maglus is fantastic so far. Very accurate, and the weight is good. I use it exclusively for handwriting apps. (Noteshelf and Goodnotes; I'm still trying to find the perfect ink realism and width combination.)

mrrish

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Stay away from the handstylus for now. I was a kickstarter backer for the project and the single biggest problem is that you have to press extremely hard to write onto the screen. It seems that the 'revolutionary' 4mm tip is just way to small for Apple's touch screen. Pressing harder than normal squishes the tip to a larger size (ultimately matching the other stylus on the market). Having to push harder actually compromises legibility of writing, rather than allow for finer control.

I use the bamboo stylus from Wacom and really haven't looked elsewhere except for the handstylus, which failed my requirements. I like the bamboo's replaceable tips and it has a great weight to it. Feels very professional and looks gorgeous. I finding writing and drawing to be very precise.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
My Bamboo is my favorite for drawing, my Maglus for writing.
If I were to choose a third one, I'd consider the Hand stylus.

How does anyone write with a maglus. No precision, and have to press pretty hard.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
How does anyone write with a maglus. No precision, and have to press pretty hard.

No one in their right mind writes with any stylus without using partial zoom mode, which is present in any worthwhile note taking app. Then you can match font size 12 machine text with your handwriting with any stylus. The Maglus is then good because you don't have to press hard; if you have to do that with yours, the tip needs replacing. I had that issues with mine on the iPad mini, the replacement tip that came with it works just fine.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I have had the Bamboo Stylus, the Maglus Stylus, the GoSmart Stylus, and several other big name styli but my favorite is the Titanium Stylus w/pen that I got from Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klinkokids/solid-titanium-pen-stylus?ref=live

It works perfectly with my iPad even with the Spigen Ultra Optics Screen Shield. There is no lag! I highly recommend this one! I like it even more because it has a pen! It also uses refills from may other different types of pens.

This really peaks my interest, I love the combo feature and it looks real quality however $60+ is a bit more than I want to pay though...

1e431560c75b8d93d2d699efdfbf4379_large_zps039fb195.jpg

Bamboo Duo is about $40 thru amazon hmmmm decisions

Sidebar_Stylus_zps97dcd2f6.jpg

Last edited:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I have had a Jot, which is similar in some ways. I hated it, because I use my styluses for writing notes. The Jot is more accurate than a rubber nib stylus, however it's also annoying to lift up and put back down because the disc has to realign, so it's more suited for drawing than writing. On top of that, it's not accurate enough to stop using zoom box writing for me, which means the accuracy goes to waste. It ended up with a friend of mine who likes to draw instead.

Not sure if this translates to the GoSmart, but wouldn't be surprised if it does

Thank you so much for this valuable insight!

----------

This really peaks my interest, I love the combo feature and it looks real quality however $60+ is a bit more than I want to pay though...
Thinking the same... I'd be interested in a solo-stylus though, no need for a pen here.

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011

Bamboo Duo is about $40 thru amazon hmmmm decisions

Yeah, I got it when it was on kickstart, it is a great stylus though, i like it better than the bamboo, especially with a screen protector on, i found that the titanium worked better and had very little to no lag, where as the bamboo has more lag

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
My Hand stylus just arrived today and I must say that it's great to hold. Feels very much like a real pen. But I agree with others that you have to press down harder than I expected for it to write well. I do have a Speigen screen protector on my Mini but was willing to take it off if this worked well on my ipad 1 or iPhone w/o a screen protector.

It definitely doesn't work on the mini (didn't expect it to) and it just isn't easy enough to write with since you have to press too hard to get it to work on my other devices. Your mileage may vary as you may prefer this. Unfortunately, for me, it's going back.

I think I'll stick with paper & pen/photos to Evernote for now.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
:(

Crap. I had such high hopes that project wouldn't succeed. Seeing as how the company behaved with the iPen 1, all the lies and false promises, and the complete lack of customer support, I truly feel sorry for the 1559 people who didn't bother googling the company they're supporting before buying

I understand you but maybe this time will go better,i think they know this their last chance so..lets see.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I understand you but maybe this time will go better,i think they know this their last chance so..lets see.

IMHO, companies shouldn't get a second chance when it comes to crowdsourcing. You're asking thousands of people to give you their money for you to make a product, and if you fail, there's not even anything they can do about it, because they didn't actually pre-order anything (KS rules). That's the kind of thing you don't want a company that has proven itself to not be trustworthy to do. They are free to release an iPen 2 out of their own pocket, it might even be a great product I'd consider buying, but they have no business on a crowdsourcing site IMHO.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
IMHO, companies shouldn't get a second chance when it comes to crowdsourcing. You're asking thousands of people to give you their money for you to make a product, and if you fail, there's not even anything they can do about it, because they didn't actually pre-order anything (KS rules). That's the kind of thing you don't want a company that has proven itself to not be trustworthy to do. They are free to release an iPen 2 out of their own pocket, it might even be a great product I'd consider buying, but they have no business on a crowdsourcing site IMHO.

Shouldn't ..?People are free to give them their trust or not...
i fear who decides what its right or wrong,you can only decide to be informed or not,backing or not..etc etc...only backers could tell something..then time will tell..maybe Apple with Ios7-A7 will show its vision of Stylus...maybe not,who knows?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
No one in their right mind writes with any stylus without using partial zoom mode, which is present in any worthwhile note taking app. Then you can match font size 12 machine text with your handwriting with any stylus. The Maglus is then good because you don't have to press hard; if you have to do that with yours, the tip needs replacing. I had that issues with mine on the iPad mini, the replacement tip that came with it works just fine.

I disagree. The Maglus I have was brand new.

And it seems none of the styluses mentioned here really work well with screen protectors. I am not sure why there is so much praise on this thread. So far all of these have sucked in one way or another.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I disagree. The Maglus I have was brand new.

And it seems none of the styluses mentioned here really work well with screen protectors. I am not sure why there is so much praise on this thread. So far all of these have sucked in one way or another.

Then it needs a replacement from the manufacturer.

As for using a screen protector, that's what you give up if you use a screen protector.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
And it seems none of the styluses mentioned here really work well with screen protectors.

What makes you say that? I'm not doubting you, but would be interested in more info.

I thought that might at least be part of my issue with my first stylus (Bamboo on an iPad mini with cheap screen protector), so I took off the screen protector and didn't notice a difference. Since then, I picked up a Targus and it worked quite well with the screen protector.

It seems like if the protector altered screen response, you should notice it when using your finger, too (though I could see where a stylus would be more sensitive to an issue).

Regards,
Tom

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Then it needs a replacement from the manufacturer.

As for using a screen protector, that's what you give up if you use a screen protector.

Yeah, right.

----------

What makes you say that? I'm not doubting you, but would be interested in more info.

I thought that might at least be part of my issue with my first stylus (Bamboo on an iPad mini with cheap screen protector), so I took off the screen protector and didn't notice a difference. Since then, I picked up a Targus and it worked quite well with the screen protector.

It seems like if the protector altered screen response, you should notice it when using your finger, too (though I could see where a stylus would be more sensitive to an issue).

Regards,
Tom

I have used a number of these. The rubber tipped ones are not smooth and offer no precision. The mesh ones are smooth but you have to press hard and still have low precision. The Jots tip is a bit weird to use but does have more precision.

Its BS that these should not work well because of a screen protector. If the protector does not impede my finger, then it should not impede a stylus.

The kickstarter stylus is promising, but requires a naked iPad that you put into another device. My ipad is in the case I like so I aint doing that.

Maglus, was heavy and fat. The tip was rubberish. The company unresponsive and sleazy.

Clearly, the present screen technology is just not conducive to writing instruments. Probably why Apple has not released a writing device.

splatman85

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2012
Still have my Ifrarday RXII from my response on the first page and holding up great. Getting a Maglus though after trying a friends out. Definitely the best 2 in my opinion from all that I've tried.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I have a bamboo duo stylus topped with a firm nib. Here is a writing sample on Notes Plus with a HD Antiglare screen protector. Shows you that they work with a screen protector, and I have been able to take pages of notes with it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.