Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:29 AM   #1
walkie
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Mac OS X is no longer Apple's flagship

I think Apple has been neglecting MacOSX since Lion, Snow Leopard has been the fastest and the best OSX ever created in my opinion, since Apple has been fusioning MacOSX with iOS the OS has become buggy, laggy and the user experience has been diminished. Apple now seems to be focus on iToys like iPhone, iPad and the like.

Lion has been the worst crap ever created for an OS, since I installed Lion the scrolling lag started, UI in general became laggy, I had Wifi problems all the time in a machine that worked flawlessly on SL, the keyboard and the mouse sometimes stopped working properly when starting the computer, all this only disappeared was I updated to ML, I was suffering for months from this crappy OS, something I also hate was the replacement of the scrolling blue bar for an ugly bland gray one from iOS, I never understood what was the point of spoiling something already beautiful for that crappy and laggy scroll. I think although ML is better than Lion, but this one is not on par with the speed and quality of SL.

We can see here the general dissapoinment from people who spent their money on macs computer and expected to have nothing but fast and functioning computers:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...t=660&tstart=0

Last edited by walkie; Feb 13, 2013 at 05:40 AM.
walkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:39 AM   #2
q64ceo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Apple certainly has lost focus since Jobs departed this world.
__________________
iMac i7 27inch mid 2010 | iPod Touch 4th Generation | iPad 2 | eMac 1.25 PPC mid-2004 | So I sold out and got an iPhone. Using all this Apple stuff is making me rusty on my real computer skillz
q64ceo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:44 AM   #3
Eithanius
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by q64ceo View Post
Apple certainly has lost focus since Jobs departed this world.
Wrong...! Jobs was still around when Lion was introduced... Apple lost its way when Bertrand Serlet left, and Jobs and his protege Scott Forstall spoiled everything with skeumorphism and all that crap...

I've been saying all along, it's a good thing now that Jobs got booted for the second time - straight into his grave, and Forstall get ousted as well... Next will be Federighi...
Eithanius is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Mac32
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
There's a lot to like in Mountain Lion, but there are some very odd design and function choices. Seems like Apple sometimes changes things just for the sake of change, even if they switch to something inferior (the new saving system, or giving less information to the user when s/he is editing docs/images).

The problem for Apple is that Snow Leopard was pretty much perfect in most areas, and to really improve Apple needs to go for the big guns: improved new Finder, better graphics/openGL support, new/improved file system (gate keeper and file vault 2 are good additions though). However Apple doesn't want to bother with that, so we get a lot of fiddling around with basic functions that already works, and some (very nice!) upgraded animations here and there.

Having said that notification center, powernap, game center and airplay are all very nice additions.
What I don't like are the stupid changes in the save system, twitter/facebook-integration (twitter and facebook is a waste of time IMO, it's the information equivalent of white noise). Launch pad is OK to have, but not exactly necessary, mission contral has been improved (as it should). My issue with Apple is when they try to make things more intuitive and streamlined by taking away essential functionality, like removing file size info when editing an image in Preview (?!!).

Last edited by Mac32; Feb 13, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
Mac32 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:34 AM   #5
walkie
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
The biggest problem they're going through right now is the UI lag specially when scrolling, the scrolling in SL was smooth, why they messed with the scrolling if it was just perfect in SL?, they messed it only to mimic that of iOS, on the rMBP we are still relying on the beta version of Safari to have a smooth user experience while browsing on the Internet because the other browsers are just simple unusable due to scrolling problem in ML. I like the new features on MacOSX but please don't spoil what is working properly, the UI scrolling lag on ML has been an epical fail as it was the apple maps on iOS.
walkie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Since *when* has OSX ever been Apple's "flagship"? Their bread and butter is iOS - always has been/always will be. Even before the iPod, Apple Computer was a non-player in this arena.

And Apple pretty much admits this. For evidence I submit "Boot Camp" as exhibit A.
Krazy Bill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Partron22
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Since *when* has OSX ever been Apple's "flagship"?
2000 thru 2007 or so. You know, pre-iPhone, up until they started outselling Macs.
Partron22 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Zwhaler
macrumors 603
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
I agree about Lion, however mountain lion did improve a bit. I waited awhile to switch and now that I did I'm glad I skipped Lion. It is nice, for some apps like FCP X the start up times are quite a bit longer but I guess it makes up for that with full screen mode.
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2x UAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:44 PM   #9
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
The downfall of System (sorry, OS X) came with two departures at Apple: Bertrand Serlet and Avie Tevanian.

Without them, Mac OS became a rudderless ship.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:47 PM   #10
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Since *when* has OSX ever been Apple's "flagship"? Their bread and butter is iOS - always has been/always will be. Even before the iPod, Apple Computer was a non-player in this arena.

And Apple pretty much admits this. For evidence I submit "Boot Camp" as exhibit A.
OS X is a $20 download. You cannot have a $20 flagship. iOS for most users is free. You cannot have a free flagship. Let is ignore the fact that Apple was incorporated in 1976. From 1976 to 2007--some 31 years of Apple's existence--there was no version of iOS under any name from Apple.

Apple is a hardware company. Software is an adjunct to hardware. I can understand the argument that Apple's flagship product is the iPad--or iPhone--or iMac. OS X? Not even close. iOS? Let's not go there.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet

Last edited by MisterMe; Feb 13, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
SanJacinto
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
The downfall of System (sorry, OS X) came with two departures at Apple: Bertrand Serlet and Avie Tevanian.
Nothing more to add.
Two great guys with passion for their work and enough talent.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 | Sandy Bridge 2,3 GHz | 10.9.4
Jan. 24, 1984: Birth of the Cool.
SanJacinto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:59 PM   #12
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
OS X is a $20 download. You cannot have a $20 flagship. iOS for most users is free. You cannot have a free flagship. Let is ignore the fact that Apple was incorporated in 1976. From 1976 to 2007--some 31 years of Apple's existence--there was no version of iOS under any name from Apple.

Apple is a hardware company. Software is an adjust to hardware. I can understand the argument that Apple's flagship product is the iPad--or iPhone--or iMac. OS X? Not even close. iOS? Let's not go there.
Flat wrong. The only reason Apple is Apple is the exclusive software that integrates perfectly with its devices.

Without OS X, Macs would be just another (more expensive) brand PC. And this is why Psystar and others were so strongly fought by Apple.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:16 PM   #13
fisherking
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
snow leopard was a great OS. ML is just as good, maybe better. there's no harm in having integration with the iphone, etc...and you can use what you choose to use.

this thread is ridiculous. apple's success with the iphone, iPad, etc only strengthens a company that was dying 20 years ago. but look at the hardware...the rMBPs, the imacs; great product.

it's a great company with shortcomings...like ALL companies. but the OS is a great one, that will, hopefully and continually, become better & better (and, as history shows us, not on a steady incline).
__________________
mbp@10.9.4 4S JB
fisherking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:10 PM   #14
DJLC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mooresville, NC
Send a message via AIM to DJLC Send a message via MSN to DJLC Send a message via Yahoo to DJLC Send a message via Skype™ to DJLC
... just like the Apple II stopped being their flagship when the Mac came along.

And everyone thought the Mac was a toy.
__________________
-John Mairs
DJLC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:55 PM   #15
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
Flat wrong. The only reason Apple is Apple is the exclusive software that integrates perfectly with its devices.

Without OS X, Macs would be just another (more expensive) brand PC. And this is why Psystar and others were so strongly fought by Apple.
The fact that OS X and iOS are integrated into Apple's hardware products does not in any way convert either OS X or iOS into a flagship product. In fact, the claim discredits itself. How does a free product that integrates seemlessly into a $500 product become the flagship product?
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:12 PM   #16
romills
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
The fact that OS X and iOS are integrated into Apple's hardware products does not in any way convert either OS X or iOS into a flagship product. In fact, the claim discredits itself. How does a free product that integrates seemlessly into a $500 product become the flagship product?
It is hardly a free product when the only way to legally run it is by purchasing a required hardware. This required hardware is only legally produced and sold by Apple. The software is the primary aspect that makes it their product unique, this is hardly free, despite the upgrade price they put on the product. The quality of the hardware is also there, but as many would point out, the HW specs alone does not justify the price you pay for an apple system.

I hope that helps explain it to you.
romills is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:14 PM   #17
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partron22 View Post
2000 thru 2007 or so. You know, pre-iPhone, up until they started outselling Macs.
What about the iPod/iTunes
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:46 AM   #18
turtlez
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
all i can say is I am glad my computer refresh period fell now and not in two - three years time By the time I need another computer (5-6 years) I will have a tonne of different reputable brands to choose from that will be making products just as beautiful as Apple's.

Imagine the day Jonathan Ive retires :O Apple won't have any sharper edge over other companies then.
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:06 AM   #19
quasinormal
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkie View Post
.........since I installed Lion the scrolling lag started, UI in general became laggy, I had Wifi problems all the time in a machine that worked flawlessly on SL, the keyboard and the mouse sometimes stopped working properly when starting the computer, all this only disappeared was I updated to ML........
I had similar problems with an early 2011 15" 2.2.GHz (shipped with 10.5.8) with Lion, until i upped the RAM to 8GB. Now running ML with an Samsung 830 SSD it works really well. I'm still not happy about the wifi, but it's a lot better than on my ipad 2.

These days my 3G ipad has virtually superseded my OS X machine. I only keep it to load the iPad, iPods and an ebook reader.
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:46 AM   #20
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
all i can say is I am glad my computer refresh period fell now and not in two - three years time By the time I need another computer (5-6 years) I will have a tonne of different reputable brands to choose from that will be making products just as beautiful as Apple's.
How exactly do you know that? Who knows what will happen in 5 years.
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:54 AM   #21
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkie View Post
Lion has been the worst crap ever created for an OS, since I installed Lion the scrolling lag started, UI in general became laggy,
I disagree with your premise and your examples, while I'll not argue that in your case you had issues with Lion, Many of us did not. True versions of OSX lately had varying amounts of enhancements, but generally speaking OSX is the BEST operating system out there. I would have said Windows was a great OS as it was in win7 but with win8, its horrible. Back to OSX, they're now gone to a small annual update with a handful of updates instead of every few years with a ton of updates.

I guess the logic makes sense, lots of big updates has the risk of including big bugs. Shrink the major enhancements to one or two per release and make sure they're rock solid. I think this really shows in Mountain Lion, a very stable OS.

That doesn't mean that OSX is perfect, the file system is really aging and they need to keep the UI current but generally its a great OS

Just my $.02
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:02 AM   #22
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
"Since *when* has OSX ever been Apple's "flagship"?"

What's your age?
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:13 AM   #23
jchase2057
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
"Since *when* has OSX ever been Apple's "flagship"?"

What's your age?
I was thinking the same thing. Either very young, or never heard of apple until 2007.
__________________
MacBook 1.83 Core Duo
1GB RAM
180GB Intel 530 Series SSD
OS X 10.6.8
jchase2057 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:58 PM   #24
turtlez
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
How exactly do you know that? Who knows what will happen in 5 years.
well I have ML right now and I know on my current computer it will be flawless. I also know that it will be supported by the apps I use most judging by trends. I don't see how my computer could become irrelevant in half a year or even tomorrow just because something else releases.

PS. the only thing i'd leave osx for is linux at the current state of windows. Maybe Windows 9 will be a game changer but until then it is os x and linux for peace of mind. I'm productive, not a gamer.
turtlez is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Gets Final Go Ahead for New San Francisco Flagship Store MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 53 Mar 21, 2014 12:48 PM
Flagship Apple Store in Brisbane, Australia to Open January 17 MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 26 Jan 14, 2014 04:33 PM
Apple Begins Hiring for Flagship Retail Store in Brisbane, Australia MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 25 Dec 3, 2013 01:20 AM
Samsung Announces New Flagship Galaxy S 4 Competitor to Apple's iPhone MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 1181 Apr 9, 2013 08:39 PM
Is it possible for the 7" iPad to become Apple new Flagship Tablet? appswipe iPad 31 Sep 7, 2012 02:08 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC