Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Siri's Cousin 'Tempo Smart Calendar' Uses iPhone Data to Provide Enhanced Calendar Experience

Tempo AI is a startup that originated from the SRI International research center, which also spawned Siri. Today the company released its first iPhone app, Tempo Smart Calendar, which shares many features with personal assistant Siri.

The app utilizes artificial intelligence that analyzes iPhone data, including calendars, email, location, and contacts, to provide context-aware enhancements to meetings and appointments. It learns through user interactions to provide a better calendar experience.

Using the data that it gleans from various applications on the iPhone, Tempo Smart Calendar offers up additional information for meetings such as driving directions, contact information, and related communications. Tempo Smart Calendar is designed to offer the following one tap functions within the app:
Quote:
-send a pre-populated "running late" email or text
-dial into conference calls - Tempo handles the passcode
-get directions and nearby parking
-review emails that pertain to the event
-open related documents
-quickly reach attendees via phone, email or text
-find the exact location even if you only have "starbucks @ mission"
-browse attendees' LinkedIn
-connect to Foursquare and Yelp
Though the app is available in the App Store, the developers are currently restricting sign ups because of server load. A message that reads "Tempo is not accepting new registrations," has been popping up, but Tempo AI says that users are being given access to the app in batches. All users should have access by the end of the day.

Tempo Smart Calendar can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Siri's Cousin 'Tempo Smart Calendar' Uses iPhone Data to Provide Enhanced Calendar Experience
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:15 PM   #2
CJK
macrumors member

Tastes great, less filling ...

... not accepting new accounts every time I've tried to register. Kind of a turnoff.
CJK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3
robdam1001
macrumors 6502a

Same here. Stellar launch Tempo. #FAIL
robdam1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:32 PM   #4
ksmith80209
macrumors 6502a

This is awesome. I really love the way itů

Wait. Not accepting registrations.

If only someone could create an app that helped design well-orchestrated app launches.
ksmith80209 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:38 PM   #5
RobDee
macrumors member

Question

Not available in UK?
RobDee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:02 PM   #6
CJK
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDee View Post
Not available in UK?
Don't feel left out, it's not really available in the States either. (See comments above.)
CJK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:03 PM   #7
robdam1001
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK View Post
Don't feel left out, it's not really available in the States either. (See comments above.)
+1

If they can't do a proper launch, how are we supposed to expect them to handle the load on a daily basis?

-------------------------------------------------
robdam1001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:59 PM   #8
ktstanley
macrumors newbie

The servers for the company have been swamped since the app was spotlighted today by Robert Scoble. They are trying to deal with the unanticipated swell of interested people.
ktstanley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Tempo Calendar
macrumors newbie

Thanks & Message from Tempo Smart Calendar

Thank you for the overwhelming interest in Tempo Smart Calendar. We realize that many are experiencing long wait times for Tempo registration and access. Please be patient as we bring all users on board. We are picking up speed with the registrations and are now taking 1000 users at a time through the Tempo process. We promise it will be worth the wait.

Thanks for the support!

http://tempo.ai
Tempo Calendar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:37 PM   #10
robdam1001
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo Calendar View Post
Thank you for the overwhelming interest in Tempo Smart Calendar. We realize that many are experiencing long wait times for Tempo registration and access. Please be patient as we bring all users on board. We are picking up speed with the registrations and are now taking 1000 users at a time through the Tempo process. We promise it will be worth the wait.

Thanks for the support!

http://tempo.ai
Thanks for checking in. When can the casual user expect to be "allowed" in?

Does the app support Exchange Calender? Multiple Calendars?

----------

Great interview and demo:

http://scobleizer.com/2013/02/13/sir...hone-calendar/
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:48 PM   #11
CJK
macrumors member

They are mentioning 24 times the number of users they expected as the explanation for the ongoing "Connection Failed" messages.

Doesn't bode well for the back end infrastructure if they can't even handle registrations ...

The one star reviews are beginning to pile up on the App Store.

Overall, this is pretty much how NOT to launch an app.
CJK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:21 AM   #12
border terrier
macrumors newbie

How come its not available to UK users through the App Store?
border terrier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:35 AM   #13
CJK
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by border terrier View Post
How come its not available to UK users through the App Store?
Considering how overwhelmed they are, it probably shouldn't be available in the US store either.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:38 AM   #14
Oui
Banned

Quote:
Considering how overwhelmed they are, it probably shouldn't be available in the US store either.
Exactly. I'm just about to delete it and forget it.
Oui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:26 AM   #15
robdam1001
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oui View Post
Exactly. I'm just about to delete it and forget it.
I deleted it. If the "launch" is an indication of how the company thinks or how the app functions, i want nothing to do with them.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:11 AM   #16
CJK
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdam1001 View Post
I deleted it. If the "launch" is an indication of how the company thinks or how the app functions, i want nothing to do with them.
I'm almost there myself. But the fascination of watching this train wreck of a launch has so far kept me checking back from time to time.

If I do get in soon, I'll be sure to post. The reviews I've read from actual users (NOT the ones from the press) haven't been particularly encouraging: long startup times, numerous crashes.

Sure sounds like incredibly poor stress-testing and completely inadequate infrastructure.

EDIT: They just posted this on their blog, announcing that they're turning off features for a while until they catch up. That really makes me eager to try out the now-crippled app!

Last edited by CJK; Feb 14, 2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Added info re: blog post
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:28 AM   #17
carr13221
macrumors newbie

I concur, I'm underwhelmed. Much like the hype surrounding mailbox... Bait and switch, they release only to find that I am still 120k away from registration (at least I have the satisfaction? of 666k people in line behind me)

Quote:
I'm almost there myself. But the fascination of watching this train wreck of a launch has so far kept me checking back from time to time.

If I do get in soon, I'll be sure to post. The reviews I've read from actual users (NOT the ones from the press) haven't been particularly encouraging: long startup times, numerous crashes.

Sure sounds like incredibly poor stress-testing and completely inadequate infrastructure.

EDIT: They just posted this on their blog, announcing that they're turning off features for a while until they catch up. That really makes me eager to try out the now-crippled app!
carr13221 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:55 AM   #18
CJK
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carr13221 View Post
I concur, I'm underwhelmed. Much like the hype surrounding mailbox... Bait and switch, they release only to find that I am still 120k away from registration (at least I have the satisfaction? of 666k people in line behind me)
I just read on their Twitter stream that processing linked email will take *WEEKS* even when/if one ever gets registered on their site and if/when they ever turn that feature back on.

No thanks. I'm out.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:26 AM   #19
CJK
macrumors member

Thumbs down No iPad support

As an added bonehead decision, Tempo doesn't support the iPad or multiple devices in general.

Seriously???

Pretty epic fail, IMHO.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:28 PM   #20
robdam1001
macrumors 6502a

Finally got it. Meh...it's OK so far. Negatives include inability to invite contacts to an event and no current date on the icon like the default iOS icon has.

Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:25 PM   #21
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Perhaps Tempo and Mailbox are counting on limited registration as a way to generate buzz (well, also to control server load). And to Tempo's credit, you can at least "tour" the app.

Having said that, this is really poor user experience. A better experience would be pre-registration web page with approximate ETA (based on current queue) and not have the user install the app that does nothing in the mean time.

And I have a feeling this process only serves to build expectations. I really hope Tempo and Mailbox app lives up to my now super high expectations.
nutmac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:30 PM   #22
CJK
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdam1001 View Post
Finally got it. Meh...it's OK so far. Negatives include inability to invite contacts to an event and no current date on the icon like the default iOS icon has.

I finally got in this afternoon. I completely agree with your "meh" assessment.

The mess that was the "add event" screen did it for me: I ended up deleting my account and the app. I'm back to Fantastical.

Really makes you wonder what these "reviewers" were testing -- I found the app totally underwhelming.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:36 AM   #23
robdam1001
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I finally got in this afternoon. I completely agree with your "meh" assessment.

The mess that was the "add event" screen did it for me: I ended up deleting my account and the app. I'm back to Fantastical.

Really makes you wonder what these "reviewers" were testing -- I found the app totally underwhelming.
Exact same feelings here, lol. I HAVE to have the ability to invite attendees to scheduled events; deal breaker.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:59 PM   #24
Davidgr
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down Tempo MEH!

Another problem with Tempo is the poor syncing between my iphone calendars and the Tempo server. Although I cancelled a meeting 6+ hours ago (and it is gone from the standard iphone calendar) it still shows up on Tempo. Plus I'm getting notifications to attend. I also don't see any way to do a manual sync.

There are too many other good calendars for iPhone. I don't need this one.
Davidgr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:37 AM   #25
robdam1001
macrumors 6502a

I deleted Tempo. It's useless for me. If it can't do the basics then what's the point? Stock iOS calendar meets my needs. If Tempo ever adds some basic functionality then I'll take another look. All hype and no substance.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion