Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 31, 2010, 03:08 PM   #1
lamhonlun
macrumors newbie

How to turn on subtitles in iTunes

I have rip some movies with HandBrake including srt subtitles.

I have no problem turning the subtitles on/off on my iPhone 4. But how can I enable subtitles on iTunes?
lamhonlun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:50 PM   #2
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamhonlun View Post
I have rip some movies with HandBrake including srt subtitles.

I have no problem turning the subtitles on/off on my iPhone 4. But how can I enable subtitles on iTunes?
When you're playing the movie in iTunes, hover your mouse over the picture and you should see an icon on the right hand side of the playback controls that looks like a text bubble. Select that and you can toggle subtitles on or off.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:53 PM   #3
bigpatky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
When you're playing the movie in iTunes, hover your mouse over the picture and you should see an icon on the right hand side of the playback controls that looks like a text bubble. Select that and you can toggle subtitles on or off.
While we're on the subject, how do you select subtitles (and other audio tracks) on the new apple tv?
bigpatky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 06:11 PM   #4
lamhonlun
macrumors newbie

Exclamation

Quote:
I still don't get the text bubble even i hover my mouse to the control bar in iTunes.

Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:16 PM   #5
lamhonlun
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I am expecting you are referring to iTunes 9.2
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h.../en/20868.html

However, I am using iTunes 10 and it does not show the text bubble even though I have checked the box of Show closed caption when available.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 08:51 PM   #6
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I am expecting you are referring to iTunes 9.2
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h.../en/20868.html

However, I am using iTunes 10 and it does not show the text bubble even though I have checked the box of Show closed caption when available.
I'm using version 10.1 as well. There is also an option to enable specific audio and subtitle tracks under the Controls drop down menu in iTunes. Is that available or is it grayed out? The closed captioning box shouldn't make a difference as I was able enable an .srt subtitle track with or without it checked.

If the ability to enable it using the drop down isn't available, I'm out of ideas, sorry. Essentially it appears iTunes isn't recognizing the presence of the subtitle track--not sure how it's possible for the iPhone to see it if iTunes can't. Hopefully, one of the many experts here with more knowledge than I can help you out.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:14 AM   #7
lamhonlun
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I'm using version 10.1 as well. There is also an option to enable specific audio and subtitle tracks under the Controls drop down menu in iTunes. Is that available or is it grayed out? The closed captioning box shouldn't make a difference as I was able enable an .srt subtitle track with or without it checked.

If the ability to enable it using the drop down isn't available, I'm out of ideas, sorry. Essentially it appears iTunes isn't recognizing the presence of the subtitle track--not sure how it's possible for the iPhone to see it if iTunes can't. Hopefully, one of the many experts here with more knowledge than I can help you out.

Yes, the audio and subtitles option under control tab is not available. I have no idea why.

But anyway, thank you for trying to help
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Cartaphilus
macrumors 6502a

Under Preferences in iTunes there is, under Playback, an option to choose the soundtrack and subtitle language.
Cartaphilus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 03:08 PM   #9
lamhonlun
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartaphilus View Post
Under Preferences in iTunes there is, under Playback, an option to choose the soundtrack and subtitle language.
Indeed there are Audio and Subtitle options to select. Although I select the subtitle as English, but the sub still doesn't show up in the movie

Old Nov 6, 2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Ritsuka
macrumors regular

The file extension needs to be .m4v if you want to see the subtitles in iTunes and QuickTime Player 7.
Ritsuka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:09 PM   #11
thetaylor13
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritsuka View Post
The file extension needs to be .m4v if you want to see the subtitles in iTunes and QuickTime Player 7.
I've got a .mp4 that plays subtitles just fine in Quicktime, yet in iTunes it won't play at all. Any thought why? Or should I just convert it to .m4v? And does Handbrake do that?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:51 AM   #12
Ritsuka
macrumors regular

No, you should go in Finder and change the extension to .m4v.
Ritsuka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 07:22 AM   #13
panflex
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Yes, the audio and subtitles option under control tab is not available. I have no idea why.

But anyway, thank you for trying to help
It's been a while and you've probably figured it out/given up, but I had the same issue you did and I just figured it out last night:

I re-encoded the movie a second time w/ subtitles and could not get the subtitles to work. I then realized I had to delete the file from Itunes (not the original file, just the file from itunes!)

You need to add the file back into itunes, which will take a few seconds to load. The subtitles should work after you do this. For me, itunes kept playing the previous file w/out subtitles which explains why it did not work
panflex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Poy77
macrumors newbie

I have also ripped some movies from DVD with Handbrake. I don't want to burned in subtitles. After conversion I can select subtitles in VLC, but not in iTunes, ATV or iPad. What's the problem?
Poy77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 05:06 PM   #15
Poy77
macrumors newbie

Any ideas?
Poy77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 05:39 PM   #16
EmpyreanUK
macrumors regular

Does the file you're using have a .m4v extension? If it's .mp4 then iTunes will not allow you to use subtitles. I've no idea why.
EmpyreanUK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:17 PM   #17
MacSlavko
macrumors newbie

I′m having the same problem. I had an mp4 file with no viewable subtitles. Then I changed the extension in Finder to m4v and now the movie plays in Finder (QuickLook), iTunes, VLC, Quicktime, but iTunes stil don′t allow me to choose the subtitles file (the option is greyed out)...

Any ideas?

Shoul I do a proper file conversion (not merly to change the extension to.m4v)?
MacSlavko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:26 PM   #18
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSlavko View Post
I′m having the same problem. I had an mp4 file with no viewable subtitles. Then I changed the extension in Finder to m4v and now the movie plays in Finder (QuickLook), iTunes, VLC, Quicktime, but iTunes stil don′t allow me to choose the subtitles file (the option is greyed out)...

Any ideas?

Shoul I do a proper file conversion (not merly to change the extension to.m4v)?
For the aTV to have the ability to turn subtitles on/off (soft subs) there has to be a subtitle track in srt format in the mp4. This can be done by downloading an srt subtitle file from various websites that provide them, then incorporating that file into the mp4 while transcoding with Handbrake or adding it manually using Subler.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater