Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
This does not make any sense, what the hell are they fixing in a point release that needs ELEVEN betas??????

They're adding support for the 1:1 aspect displays shown in the graphic.

12d68.jpg

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Eleven builds? Did this ever happen before?

I think Apple is making sure 10.8.3 is a good release because they are working hard on 10.9. That's how it's been in the past. The 3rd point release is usually the best one.

Wouldn't it be nice if they manage this to happen with the first release?

Rampage Dev

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Eleven builds? Did this ever happen before?

Once I believe. This is now tied with the highest build number ever for a update. What I think is happening is that Apple got behind in developing 10.8.3 and now they are merging what would have been the 10.8.4 release into 10.8.3 for the newer hardware coming out soon. But I am unsure of anything at this point.

Rampage Dev

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Not true. I've semi-bricked a motherboard using beta drivers (not on a mac). And some people are bricking samsung laptops just by using linux.

How do you semi brick a motherboard? It is either bricked or working. There is no kind of pregnant.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Not true. I've semi-bricked a motherboard using beta drivers (not on a mac). And some people are bricking samsung laptops just by using linux.

It's not possible to brick your Mac using beta software. The only way I see you could potentially brick your Mac is by modifying the Firmware, or If your system shuts down while updating Firmware.

On the PC side It's also very similar, your motherboard is bricked If your BIOS chip dies or If you modify the BIOS, even then you can replace the BIOS chipset and your set..

Installing Beta version of OSX will do nothing, the worst that can happen is you'll loose your files, same goes for a PC running Windows. You'd think if running beta software had the potential to brick PC's or Mac's, then Microsoft would not have made the Windows 8 Beta available to consumers :p

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
It's not possible to brick your Mac using beta software. The only way I see you could potentially brick your Mac is by modifying the Firmware, or If your system shuts down while updating Firmware.

On the PC side It's also very similar, your motherboard is bricked If your BIOS chip dies or If you modify the BIOS, even then you can replace the BIOS chipset and your set..

Installing Beta version of OSX will do nothing, the worst that can happen is you'll loose your files, same goes for a PC running Windows. You'd think if running beta software had the potential to brick PC's or Mac's, then Microsoft would not have made the Windows 8 Beta available to consumers :p

Try this http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026807/booting-linux-via-uefi-can-brick-some-samsung-laptops.html.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I know this is probably forbidden to say, but this type of update schedule is one thing that makes me miss the update format of Windows / Linux distros... It's been months since my OS was updated. With other OSes, you can at least hope for speedier incremental bug fixes. Right now there could be one single issue that is putting an entire plethora of bugfixes on hold. Is there some sort of benefit to this process that I don't quite understand?

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008

If you read the article the issue was not caused by installing Linux, It was caused by booting Linux via UEFI from the BIOS which caused this problem, the brick was not caused after the installation. It looks like a BIOS chip related bug.

But honestly I don't see how Macs can suffer from this issue, you are after all installing a version of OSX that is designed for your hardware & Mac, despite the fact that it may be beta software.

Not trying to be smart ass, just that I build PC's, overclock them, modify GPU BIOS and all that jazz, and I have never ever heard of an instance where a PC was bricked by installing a Beta version of an Operating System. I've even installed Mac OS, Ubuntu, Gnome on PC's and never had an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.