Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:13 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Hiring Software Manager and Engineer to Build 'Next Generation Features' for Apple TV

As noted by 9to5Mac, Apple has posted a job listing seeking a new software engineering manager focused on "next generation features for Apple TV".
Quote:
The Apple TV team is looking for an experienced engineering manager to help deliver the next generation features for Apple TV. Bring your creative energy and engineering discipline, and help us bring the Apple experience to the Living Room. [...]

- Lead a team of engineers working on exciting new features and functionality
- Drive releases from initial concept to completion
- Work closely with cross functional teams, representing Apple TV across Apple
- Develop the engineering plan for upcoming projects
- Communicate status to key stakeholders and senior management
The managerial job listing comes roughly a month after the company posted another listing seeking an Apple TV software engineer interested in "delivering first in class home entertainment solutions".

While the listings unsurprisingly do not offer any specific information about Apple's plans for the Apple TV platform and are filled with typical human resources phrases designed to appeal to prospective employees, they do suggest that Apple may be increasing staffing to push forward on a television initiative.

Rumors of an Apple television set and/or a new set-top box with increased functionality have repeatedly surfaced over the years, although the company's efforts have reportedly been slowed by content negotiations. A new report from TechCrunch's MG Siegler indicates, however, that Apple may finally be ready to begin its push later this year with a focus on third-party apps for the Apple TV and future hardware.

Article Link: Apple Hiring Software Manager and Engineer to Build 'Next Generation Features' for Apple TV
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:15 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

This "hobby" of theirs is getting more serious all the time. I'm looking forward to seeing what they will do with it. Hopefully they'll bring some apps to the device.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:16 PM   #3
iphone495
macrumors member

TV with Siri!
iphone495 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Radio
Banned

Yup.

Radio
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:17 PM   #5
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

That would be great, all they need is a camera controller, It would kill things like the Xbox 360 and the Wii
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Radio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
This "hobby" of theirs is getting more serious all the time. I'm looking forward to seeing what they will do with it. Hopefully they'll bring some apps to the device.
They'll call it beta after hobby.

Who ships beta products?

Apple does with Siri
Radio is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Peace
macrumors P6

Apple is also hiring a boss for this boss to work with the Apple TV and Airport.

This listing has been up since Sept. 2012
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Sky Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Yup.

Radio
No, TV.
Sky Blue is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:27 PM   #9
nickgri
macrumors member

Apple TV

You don't have to be an engineer to see the vision they are missing -hire people who can "think differently". How about the easiest thing that can make billions of just making a "bookmark" function that takes tv ads and sends the viewer either now or later to the website of the ad maker. Is that not what the advertisers want-Us to GO to look at the products? They will pay for every click through. How many times have we watched ads and forgotten about them an hour later? Do this first-make tons of money-send me some- then hire many more people to tweak it. Make a remote control that is easy to use and adds functionality-maybe with Kinect style motions?
nickgri is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:28 PM   #10
Doctor Q
Administrator

New developments?

I want my Apple TV to give me turn-by-turn directions, e.g., "Get off sofa, turn right, walk 10 steps, turn left, open refrigerator door, get next beer, close refrigerator door, turn left, 10 steps, turn right, sit back down on sofa."

Better yet, the Apple TV should get the beer for me.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Ironduke
macrumors 65816

needs to run apps from the appstore, allow the ipad to be its keyboard and mouse
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:30 PM   #12
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post
needs to run apps from the appstore, allow the ipad to be its keyboard and mouse
This can already be done.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:39 PM   #13
mic j
macrumors 68020

So, they are just now looking for an "engineer manager" for aTV development? I thought we were going to have product introduction anywhere from next month to late fall! Seems like the product would be introduced long after the project manager is hired.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:45 PM   #14
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
I want my Apple TV to give me turn-by-turn directions, e.g., "Get off sofa, turn right, walk 10 steps, turn left, open refrigerator door, get next beer, close refrigerator door, turn left, 10 steps, turn right, sit back down on sofa."

Hire this man
WiiDSmoker is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:50 PM   #15
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:

But I hear if we wait for the next new model after that one, the TV will actually make the beer.

And the model after that will project a 3D hologram of a bikini model to carry it over and serve it to you.

And with a jailbreak option, that 2nd model gains a bunch of other functionality that might be fun.
HobeSoundDarryl is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:55 PM   #16
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
So, they are just now looking for an "engineer manager" for aTV development? I thought we were going to have product introduction anywhere from next month to late fall! Seems like the product would be introduced long after the project manager is hired.
Yep don't think this job posting means anything is/isn't imminent. If Apple is doing something in this space no doubt they've already got a team working on it.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:55 PM   #17
dstankus
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone495 View Post
TV with Siri!
Really?

"Siri, put on Channel 2"

"I have found 37 channels that contain the number 2. Which would you like?"
dstankus is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:56 PM   #18
jtrenthacker
macrumors member

Better late than never Apple
jtrenthacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:00 PM   #19
I WAS the one
macrumors 6502a

Please Apple just add a game store and sell optional controllers for people that doesn't want to use their idevices as controllers... just that and make another billion with it!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:04 PM   #20
String
macrumors member

The app store and games are coming.
String is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:15 PM   #21
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 65816

I guess they don't think anyone working there is worthy of a promotion
jimbo1mcm is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:16 PM   #22
johngordon
macrumors 6502

App store to sell games is surely a no brainer.

Plus, I'm of an age where my wife just rolls her eyes at me if I even joke about getting a console. But part of me would still enjoy a quick blast of some games on the big tv.

So this would be ideal to get that in through the back door!
johngordon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:24 PM   #23
itickings
macrumors 6502a

Just add a decent App Store and i'll be happy. An official Plex client on a non-jailbroken AppleTV would be yummy-yummy...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:27 PM   #24
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Best idea yet! This is innovation!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:28 PM   #25
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Open up an SDK and App Store and let others build the 'Next generation features.'

HDHomerun Prime + AppleTV ( at $99) = all done.
macsrcool1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion