Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The Midas Touch

TheMidasTouch.jpg

Rowbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Gatineau, PQ, Canada
Excellent again Miss P.

Its obvious that a lot of preparation went before you trigger the shutter; from the overall composition, your positioning to maximize the colors from the sky reflecting in the water, the details in foreground snow...magic :)

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Annoyance of the day

This is a crop of the first pic I took of the cats looking at snowflakes (posted recently).

Had a 28mm lens on the camera and took a pic before I changed over to a 90mm lens.

Liked this composition better than any of the ones I took after changing to the longer lens. Everything is in sharp focus because of the 28mm lens. It's kind of a strange composition because of their bodies blending together and one head poking out from behind. Hydra? The crop is so extreme, that the file size is tiny. To make matters worse, Lightroom glitched on me and deleted the original RAW file after I imported it into Silver Efex Pro. Hadn't backed up the original prior to the export as I'd never had this happen to me before. Not sure I could have done much more even if the original still existed, but lesson learned.

Annoyed on many fronts: wrong lens at the decisive moment and then I wasn't OCD enough to ensure I had a backup and lost the original.

Anyway, here is a small version of a lost opportunity:

8487342836_8992c7d099.jpg

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.

Alex, with these last few pictures of yours it's quite obvious that HCB has had a huge influence upon you. Have you ever read the Surrealists Manifesto by Adam Marelli? I only discovered it last week after watching a B&H video with John Paul Caponigro called "Process & Game Changers" where he mentioned it as a good reference.

I'ts divided into 5 parts, there is no part 4, by this stage Adam realised he'd numbered them incorrectly, as in, part 1 should have been parts 1 & 2.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 5
Part 6

I saved them all as a PDF and have it on my iPad, where I've read it about 7 or 8 times over the last week and each time I pick up another thing from it.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Tucson%2520Botanical%2520Gardens-5448.jpg

Papilio palinurus (Green Banded Peacock)

Nikon D3100, 18-55 kit lens, handheld with 'Macro' kit consisting of girlfriend holding a magnifying glass really really still. Note the aberration of the antenna; upon further reflection, maybe I should have planned ahead and brought an actual macro setup. ;)

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Another Barred Owl shot. I'm certain this is the same guy I got shots of a couple weeks ago judging by the small brown mark/stain on his beak.

PHD_6270-XL.jpg

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Alex, with these last few pictures of yours it's quite obvious that HCB has had a huge influence upon you. Have you ever read the Surrealists Manifesto by Adam Marelli? I only discovered it last week after watching a B&H video with John Paul Caponigro called "Process & Game Changers" where he mentioned it as a good reference.

I'ts divided into 5 parts, there is no part 4, by this stage Adam realised he'd numbered them incorrectly, as in, part 1 should have been parts 1 & 2.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 5
Part 6

I saved them all as a PDF and have it on my iPad, where I've read it about 7 or 8 times over the last week and each time I pick up another thing from it.
He has played an important part in my photography. I actually have tried to emulate very few photographers with the exception of HCB. I've wanted to try to find my own style, but I admire his work to the point that I do try to emulate his vibe in some shots.

I've never read that, but I just started this morning thanks to your suggestion! I'm really diggin it. Thank you! :)

----------

Art sale by xmunos, on Flickr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.