Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
The real breaking news is that Tim Cook has confirmed that the iPhone 5 will be released before a Mac Pro update.

Poor Mac Pro.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
In a world where manufacturers are coming out with 468ppi devices, a regression from retina displays would be incredibly stupid.

Karma*Police

Suspended
Jul 15, 2012
We conducted similar usability tests a couple of years ago and found that usability suffered dramatically for most users and the majority said they preferred a smaller screen. However, these users were asked to operate the phone with one hand so they became aware of the benefits and liabilities of a larger display.

I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that the average consumer would be wowed by the larger screen, cos it does look impressive in a lineup and consumers rarely take one handed operation into consideration at the point of sale. It's only when they need to operate it with a cup of coffee in one hand that they realize that the larger screen can actually be a major liability.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
The writing

Although this all sounds like complete bogus, I have to admit I do enjoy reading it because of your carefully elaborated writing.
As a masters student finishing off his thesis, I do appreciate a good piece of writing outside the scientific papers I am tired of reading.

Keep it up MR. :)

/\/\

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
Germany
very nice work *thumbs up*

ok now I am waiting for "Try the Mac Pro 2013 Experience with this Printable Papercraft Model" ;)

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
We're printing, trimming down, and carefully folding said pieces of paper to simulate a 5" iPhone? This is just embarrassing. Some people need to get some fresh air or go read a book on their iPad. Let Jony Ive do his job and live your life in the meantime!

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
4" is here to stay for a while. At this point, I wouldnt mind if design stayed stagnant if they worked more on software.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I don't really care at this point. I mean this year a 5 inch iPhone,

next year a 5.1 inch iPhone,

It's getting old.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Before:

"Retina! Retina! Retina! Your eyes can't even perceive the pixels at this density! Even higher pixel density than all the competitors! So amazing! Retina!"

After:

"You know guys, ppi isn't everything. There are so many factors to consider that make up the whole overall user experience. And even though our competitors might accuse our new phone of not meeting some arbitrary threshold that they want to call 'retina', we think that...."

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
I bet typing with both thumbs on a ~5 inch device is really comfortable. You lose all the one handed control, however.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I am using a MacBook Pro with Retina Display how do you get it to print the exact size? Mine printed out, but it's the same size as the iPhone 5 :confused:

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
The new iPhone6 should come as an upgrade to the existing iPhone

magnifyingglasscopy.jpg

Last edited:

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
How hard is it to re-write an App for a bigger screen? Not being snarky, just don't know how big an issue that would be.

The bigger screen would be great for car use as it would be easier to see Navigation and play list info way out there on the dash mount.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
At this point, the size is only half the equation. iOS is getting more and more dated by the day.

Without a major iOS overhaul, I don't think they are going to capture any new marketshare.

Indeed. I still think iPhone 5 was a great release, it's definitely a product that bears the Apple quality I expect. But jesus christ what a disappointing software release iOS 6 was. Not just disappointing, downright depressing! Especially in times when there is so much to do!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I find it VERY hard to believe Apple would use the same iP5 resolution in the larger iPhone.....

If anything they will simply do the doubling trick and voila - back in top as far as display resolution AND they don't give their devs too much work as all current apps would still work correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.