Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:47 AM   #201
redfirebird08
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Where on earth is 10.8.3
this shutdown issue for pushing a year is downright disgraceful.

Cleaned up my wife's MBP late 2011 this am; and shutdown took 2.5 min.
my MBA takes about 30 seconds, even when I fresh restart at the login screen.

damn I miss 10.6.8
It is pretty embarrassing. I have a 3 year old iMac running on a hard drive that shuts down much faster than my brand new Macbook Air running on SSD. Snow Leopard is a much better operating system as well. Not a fan of the look of Mountain Lion.
redfirebird08 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:04 AM   #202
Badagri
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulge View Post
This could be fixed i think. After using Vmware for example i always had 8-10 GB just hanging doing nothing while system was using swap file, now i don't see it anymore.
How can the memory leaks be so terrible in 10.8.2. For a few hours now, sitting with a few browser pages open and came back, the system went from 4.82GB use, up to now 11.66GB use. Nothing intensive at all.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

Under Lion and Snow Leopard, page outs never happened.

Last edited by Badagri; Feb 3, 2013 at 01:12 AM.
Badagri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:18 AM   #203
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badagri View Post
How can the memory leaks be so terrible in 10.8.2. For a few hours now, sitting with a few browser pages open and came back, the system went from 4.82GB use, up to now 11.66GB use. Nothing intensive at all.

It is some kind of wide system memory leak. On. 10.8.2 i also see these spikes where idle system suddenly jumps from normal memory usage (depending how much memory there is) to eating almost all available memory. The best part is if you open Activity Monitor and arrange by memory use you won't see anything unusual. It could be that some system service is allocating that memory and reporting it as used or whatever then other apps seeing that there is no more RAM start writting to swap file.

But i haven't seen this since 10.8.3 beta 1.
The Bulge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:00 AM   #204
adnbek
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Do you have any extensions installed for safari? Adblock used to cause crazy memory leaks. No more since I turned off extensions.

iTunes 11 has huge memory leaks as well. Forced to quit and reopen iTunes to free up ram.
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:41 AM   #205
Badagri
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnbek View Post
Do you have any extensions installed for safari? Adblock used to cause crazy memory leaks. No more since I turned off extensions.
I do indeed but I need them. Same extensions that never gave me problems with the previous OS's.

Quote:
iTunes 11 has huge memory leaks as well. Forced to quit and reopen iTunes to free up ram.
So sad. :/ It makes sense since it was rushed.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:03 PM   #206
scottsjack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird08 View Post
It is pretty embarrassing. I have a 3 year old iMac running on a hard drive that shuts down much faster than my brand new Macbook Air running on SSD. Snow Leopard is a much better operating system as well. Not a fan of the look of Mountain Lion.
I was just updating Snow Leopard in my Mac Pro this morning. Even though I use ML in my Macs I pop the SL drive in every three weeks or so and grab email as well as perform any updates. Then I fiddle around a little.

I still really like SL, lots of Mac OS not much iToys OS.
scottsjack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:10 PM   #207
redfirebird08
macrumors regular

Just tested it and my 3 year old Snow Leopard iMac shuts down in 3-4 seconds. Brand new Mountain Lion Macbook Air takes around 20 seconds to shut down. That's just ridiculous since the Air has a lot better technology in it all the way around.
redfirebird08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:58 PM   #208
blatopilot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird08 View Post
Just tested it and my 3 year old Snow Leopard iMac shuts down in 3-4 seconds. Brand new Mountain Lion Macbook Air takes around 20 seconds to shut down. That's just ridiculous since the Air has a lot better technology in it all the way around.
I had similar results in testing.

My sister's 13 inch 2009 MBP with Snow Leopard shuts down in 3-5 seconds. My 2011 15 inch MBP i7, with Lion or ML takes 4-5 times that.
blatopilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:19 PM   #209
Prof.
macrumors 601

But seriously... If this issue isn't permanently fixed with Mac OS 10.8.3, I will have forever lost faith in Apple. This is getting ridiculous.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:36 PM   #210
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
But seriously... If this issue isn't permanently fixed with Mac OS 10.8.3, I will have forever lost faith in Apple. This is getting ridiculous.
I hear mixed reports form those with the latest beta. Honestly, I don't think some of them know what to look for.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:08 PM   #211
spacerays
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb mysqld and httpd were the culprit in my case

I was facing the same slow shutdown issue. Tried NVRAM reset, SMC, daemon timeout change etc, didnt work.

Used verbose mode and saw that httpd and mysqld were coming up a lot during shutdown.

I had a MAMP PRO setup running those daemons at startup. Disabled them from running at startup in MAMP PRO. And voila, problem solved!
spacerays is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:06 PM   #212
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerays View Post
I was facing the same slow shutdown issue. Tried NVRAM reset, SMC, daemon timeout change etc, didnt work.

Used verbose mode and saw that httpd and mysqld were coming up a lot during shutdown.

I had a MAMP PRO setup running those daemons at startup. Disabled them from running at startup in MAMP PRO. And voila, problem solved!
See you posted this twice now. So go back to other thread for a reply. Your attempt will probably fail as others have
SR45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:43 PM   #213
tigres
macrumors 68040

fixed???- Nope

Strange thing occurred today.

I was building an OSX bootable USB for my wife's MBP as we are putting an SSD in it.

While I was testing my bootable USB after build on my MBA, I ran a Disk Utility for the heck of it. Verified the disk, and found errors on my SSD. This has never been the case, so I repaired the disk.

I shut down, and started as normal.
When I did a restart it was <2 sec.

Tested 3 times thus far and my shutdown appears to be as expected- fast.
Will report back in a few days after more testing.

Edit/add
No fix. Back to 20-30 second shutdown.
Seems even worse now. Screen goes grey then blue.
Wonderful.

Last edited by tigres; Feb 16, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
tigres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:26 PM   #214
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Strange thing occurred today.

I was building an OSX bootable USB for my wife's MBP as we are putting an SSD in it.

While I was testing my bootable USB after build on my MBA, I ran a Disk Utility for the heck of it. Verified the disk, and found errors on my SSD. This has never been the case, so I repaired the disk.

I shut down, and started as normal.
When I did a restart it was <2 sec.

Tested 3 times thus far and my shutdown appears to be as expected- fast.
Will report back in a few days after more testing.
Did same with same results. Later it went back to 20 second shut down. These temp fixes are just that, temporary
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:07 PM   #215
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
Did same with same results. Later it went back to 20 second shut down. These temp fixes are just that, temporary
You are correct.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:40 AM   #216
SR45
Banned

Quote:
You are correct.
Guess we all have to wait it out for the next release to see if anything is fixed. So far all the different suggestions have not really worked...
SR45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:51 AM   #217
Badagri
macrumors regular

I can't get over how long this has been on the go. Mountain Lion released on July 2012, here we are February 2013. Usually we're at 10.x.5/6 by now. Sometimes with the memory leaks and shutdown problems it feels like Apple really doesn't use OS X.
Badagri is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:04 PM   #218
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Sometimes with the memory leaks and shutdown problems it feels like Apple really doesn't use OS X.
Guess what, they now own iPads...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:44 AM   #219
The Bulge
Banned

Finally with 12D68 reboot and shut down is almost instant on all machines i was able to test it.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:27 AM   #220
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Finally with 12D68 reboot and shut down is almost instant on all machines i was able to test it.
Hopeful once again. There have been many "misfires" on this supposed fix in prior betas. (It works for a while, then shut down takes forever once again).

I for one really prefer a quick shutdown. I can't "sleep" between usage stops because I need every bit of juice over a 12 hour travel day. Just sleeping for a few hours sucks precious minutes from my battery. What a pain in the arse to get up from a table only to stand and wait for 30 seconds before closing the lid.

Please keep taking this "fix" through its paces and report back.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:15 PM   #221
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Hopeful once again. There have been many "misfires" on this supposed fix in prior betas. (It works for a while, then shut down takes forever once again).

I for one really prefer a quick shutdown. I can't "sleep" between usage stops because I need every bit of juice over a 12 hour travel day. Just sleeping for a few hours sucks precious minutes from my battery. What a pain in the arse to get up from a table only to stand and wait for 30 seconds before closing the lid.

Indeed it was getting better on few betas, but just for a few random moments. At least in my cases it's now solid 3-4 seconds every time.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:15 PM   #222
dastinger
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post

Macs don't work like Windows machines regarding shut down. As long as the grey screen is showing, you may close the lid and it will shut down instead of sleeping so you don't need to wait 30 seconds for it to shut down before closing the lid. Regardless, a 30 second shut down time is obviously not accepted.
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:45 PM   #223
Badagri
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastinger View Post
Macs don't work like Windows machines regarding shut down. As long as the grey screen is showing
Considering there was no grey screen with Lion. You clicked shutdown, desktop, black screen and click. 2 seconds.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:28 PM   #224
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Indeed it was getting better on few betas, but just for a few random moments. At least in my cases it's now solid 3-4 seconds every time.
How many times is "each and every time" now The Bulge ?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:46 PM   #225
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastinger View Post
As long as the grey screen is showing, you may close the lid and it will shut down instead of sleeping so you don't need to wait 30 seconds for it to shut down before closing the lid.
I did not know this! I think I'm just paranoid from my Leopard days when I would "sleep" my machine only to find the damn fans whirring at 6000rpm the next day.

Besides... there's just something "final" about a nice black screen while closing the lid after a 3 second shutdown.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion