Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Going back to Snow Leopard would be counterproductive. On my iMac shut down time is improved considerably with final 10.8.3 release although it's not as good as on Lion 10.7.5 (same iMac).
As all updates do, 10.8.3. did a colonoscopy on some of your system files. i.e., you got cleaned out. Give it some time and keep checking your system console logs. The issue will be back.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
As all updates do, 10.8.3. did a colonoscopy on some of your system files. i.e., you got cleaned out. Give it some time and keep checking your system console logs. The issue will be back.
This is accurate. My 2012 MBP shut down within 5 seconds with the new update, but a week later it went back to taking 30+ seconds. :rolleyes:

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I get the opposite. My mid 2010 13 inch MBP takes a while to boot up but shuts down really quick (quicker even with 10.8.3 and 16GB RAM). But then it always seemed to be that way since upgrading to Lion way back when it just had 4GB RAM.

andrezuppe

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Genoa, Italy
type these commands into the terminal window one by one and right after terminal repair permissions in the disc utulity

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

After have applied those commands I must say my shutdown times have improved from 20 seconds (almost always) to 2 seconds on my 15" rMBP 2.6 (10.8.3)!!!
Two days that I'm testing and 2 days that my mac shutdown almost instantly...
Hope those commands will fix shutdown "forever"! :)
Thanks a lot Razmarino!

P.S. @ Razmarino: can I repair disk permissions again after those commands, or a disk permission repair will cancel commands effect? I ask to you because, if I do a verify disk permission, just those .plist permissions are not correct....

Bye,
Andrea

Last edited:

razmarino

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
After have applied those commands I must say my shutdown times have improved from 20 seconds (almost always) to 2 seconds on my 15" rMBP 2.6 (10.8.3)!!!
Two days that I'm testing and 2 days that my mac shutdown almost instantly...
Hope those commands will fix shutdown "forever"! :)
Thanks a lot Razmarino!

P.S. @ Razmarino: can I repair disk permissions again after those commands, or a disk permission repair will cancel commands effect? I ask to you because, if I do a verify disk permission, just those .plist permissions are not correct....

Bye,
Andrea

Andrea, its absolutely normal that you see those changed plist's in DU for the first time after terminal commands, but you have to select "repair permissions" and let du make its job. you will be fine, and those changes wont come back to initial state after repairing
Good Luck!

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
Anyone else experiencing this? I have the new 2012 MacBook Pro, and since the release of 10.8.2, my shutdown time has gone from 1 to 3 seconds, to 30 seconds.

Still experiencing slow shutdown with 10.8.3 :(

it looks like mine is fixed since updated to 10.8.3. Have a 2012 macbook air, usually would take like 15 seconds to shutdown, no less that 5.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
it looks like mine is fixed since updated to 10.8.3. Have a 2012 macbook air, usually would take like 15 seconds to shutdown, no less that 5.

Give it time slumpey and report back in a day or so. Something tells me its just temporally, because there is nothing in 10.8.3 that fixes this issue. Also, don't just shut down after only a few minutes. Use the system for a while than shut down completely

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
Give it time slumpey and report back in a day or so. Something tells me its just temporally, because there is nothing in 10.8.3 that fixes this issue. Also, don't just shut down after only a few minutes. Use the system for a while than shut down completely

I gave it a while before I shut down the macbook air, but will give it a few more days like you said and report back,

andrezuppe

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Genoa, Italy
Andrea, its absolutely normal that you see those changed plist's in DU for the first time after terminal commands, but you have to select "repair permissions" and let du make its job. you will be fine, and those changes wont come back to initial state after repairing
Good Luck!

Thank you so much Razmarino... :) this evening I will repair them!
Is still your system shutting down faster, after all this time past from when you applied your commands on your machine?

Bye!

Andrea

razmarino

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
Thank you so much Razmarino... :) this evening I will repair them!
Is still your system shutting down faster, after all this time past from when you applied your commands on your machine?

Bye!

Andrea

Andrea, i have changed the files since 10.8.2 release and most of the time shutdown takes 1sec, but, there are still unchangeable (a long story) daemons, that hang on exit, but this is one time of thirty may be, so dont pay attention if happens.. its a little bit complicated to explain, but you can rest easy, there is no harm for the system, and its easy to return as it was if you wish (in the end of the each command, change 1 to 20 and use them again)
forgive if there are any grammar mistakes, not a native english speaker,)

Last edited:

andrezuppe

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Genoa, Italy
Andrea, i have changed the files since 10.8.2 release and most of the time shutdown takes 1sec, but, there are still unchangeable (a long story) daemons, that hang on exit, but this is one time of thirty may be, so dont pay attention if happens.. its a little bit complicated to explain, but you can rest easy, there is no harm for the system, and its easy to return as it was if you wish (in the end of the each command, change 1 to 20 and use them again)
forgive if there are any grammar mistakes, not a native english speaker,)

Me too... I'm Italian!
Thank you for sharing your contribute!!
I have perfectly understood you! :)
Yes, me too I tried, for example, to force to 2 sec shutdown com.apple.coremedia.videodecoder.plist (which looks like to suffer of 20 secs timeouts) but it seems not to take any effect. It also seems to me this .plst appears only when I look at a video (for example a divx or a Quicktime video). If I don't open any video files, that .plist file doesen't go in timeout (making a search as "exit timeout", that .plist it's not shown inside system log).....
Bye!

Andrea

Thrash911

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
Jutland, Denmark
type these commands into the terminal window one by one and right after terminal repair permissions in the disc utulity

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1
Could there be any possible side-effects, when preventing these from shutting down gracefully? Just wondering, if I should be concerned.. ;)

Thrash911

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
Jutland, Denmark

For me, this did not help (but thanks!). Then I checked the Console log, and spotted one thing that took a LONG time in the shut-down process:

Code:
06/04/13 12.04.32 blued[79]: -[CBManager init] init returning self:0x7fb6c4200b70
06/04/13 12.04.41 loginwindow[66]: ERROR | -[ApplicationManager quitPrivateProcesses] | Private process did not quit
9 seconds? Bluetooth? Why not.. I actually have it turned on, even though I never use it. So, I turned it off. Now my shut-downs are snappy! But time will tell, if it sticks..

So, for the people that still have slow shut-downs. Check Bluetooth? Of course, if you actually USE bluetooth, I have no idea what to do..

Sorry, if this wasn't useful. I just thought people should know. ;)

Last edited:

andrezuppe

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Genoa, Italy
Could there be any possible side-effects, when preventing these from shutting down gracefully? Just wondering, if I should be concerned.. ;)

Hi.... I don't know if there could be any possible side effects... we should check or ask if thatt .plists files control any serious processes...
But I can confirm that after 3 days of having applied those commands my mac has never shutdown slower than 2-3 seconds! :)

Bye,

Andrea

razmarino

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
For me, this did not help

Thrash911, its impossible, because its a universal method and it works for every system) looks like you have done smthn wrong. did you paste those commands one by one and hit enter after each? and its very important to repair permissions right after terminal. and about console logs - you're looking in wrong place, see screenshot:

Attachments

• ?????? ?????? 2013-04-06 ? 14.16.56.png
    ?????? ?????? 2013-04-06 ? 14.16.56.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 246

razmarino

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
Yes, me too I tried, for example, to force to 2 sec shutdown com.apple.coremedia.videodecoder.plist (which looks like to suffer of 20 secs timeouts) but it seems not to take any effect. It also seems to me this .plst appears only when I look at a video (for example a divx or a Quicktime video). If I don't open any video files, that .plist file doesen't go in timeout (making a search as "exit timeout", that .plist it's not shown inside system log).....
Bye!

Andrea

Andrea, you are absolutely right, im also noticin this service, and its definitely related to QT, but looks like there is no solution to fix it and we just have to deal with it for now..

Thrash911

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
Jutland, Denmark
Thrash911, its impossible, because its a universal method and it works for every system) looks like you have done smthn wrong. did you paste those commands one by one and hit enter after each? and its very important to repair permissions right after terminal. and about console logs - you're looking in wrong place, see screenshot:

I did exactly as you said. Opened Terminal. Executed all lines, one line at a time. It asked for password at the first line. Closed Terminal. Opened Disk Utility. Repaired permissions on my OS X boot drive. Initiated shut-down. Slow shut-down.

But perhaps it would not take effect before you have rebooted one time? Because it's had fast shut-downs since then. And my Console shows the same, as your screenshot (thanks).

But.. After that first shut-down, I checked the Console log. I'm not stupid, but then again, not a techie either. I just checked "All messages". I knew what time I initiated the shut-down, and checked for big time-gaps between lines, and that's when I noticed that the "Blued" took 9 seconds. Though, that may have been a fluke. Because, after I read your post, I tried turning bluetooth back on, and shut down. It did not hang this time, it was very fast.

Now you know what I experienced. So, I guess your solution did work. I'm very sorry for the confusion, then. :eek:

Thanks again.

andrezuppe

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Genoa, Italy
Initiated shut-down. Slow shut-down.
But perhaps it would not take effect before you have rebooted one time? Because it's had fast shut-downs since then.

I can confirm my machine behaved like yours... First shutdown after applying commands slow (20 seconds), then, always quick shutdown / reboots....

Bye!

Andrea

unlogic

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
Japan

Wow, I used your commands and my shutdown is now consistently instant! Thanks! :apple:

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Any side effects so far?

Thanks

None for me, but only had it for 3 weeks now. Any issues I believe would be OS/software related, not hardware, so not an issue for me if it did happen, but don't think it would. Many have had this for months with no issue reported.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
I am on 10.8.4, but am re-adding the timeout kills to the plist files.

One thing of note, if you are doing this to the plist files via permanent edit, and not just a sudo command, you will want to boot into recovery mode or use disk utility before shutdown to repair permissions, as not doing so will stop you from being able to boot as editing the files changes the permissions.

3-4 second shutdown on first test, will reply again if it gets any worse...

jk111

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007

Worked for me as well! Thank you so much!

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
I am on 10.8.4, but am re-adding the timeout kills to the plist files.

One thing of note, if you are doing this to the plist files via permanent edit, and not just a sudo command, you will want to boot into recovery mode or use disk utility before shutdown to repair permissions, as not doing so will stop you from being able to boot as editing the files changes the permissions.

3-4 second shutdown on first test, will reply again if it gets any worse...

Well, has been about 10 shutdowns since this, and it is still sitting at 4 seconds max.

It did require a disk repair and permission repair in the repair utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.