Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:54 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Foxconn Says Current Hiring Freeze Due to Strong Returning Workforce, Not Waning iPhone 5 Demand

Financial Times reported earlier today that Foxconn has enacted a hiring freeze at most of its Chinese facilities due to reduced demand for the iPhone 5.
Quote:
"Currently, none of the plants in mainland China have hiring plans," said Liu Kun, a company spokesman at Foxconn's largest manufacturing facility, in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen across the border from Hong Kong.

Human resources officials at Foxconn's largest factories, local government officials and external recruiters working with the company said there had been internal notices on Tuesday and Wednesday to halt hiring until at least the end of March, in response to reduced orders for the iPhone 5.
Recruiters specifically pointed to hiring freezes at Foxconn's massive facilities in Shenzhen, Zhengzhou, Taiyuan, and Chengdu, all of which focus on assembly of iPhones and iPads.

An expectation of hiring picking up again in late March would be in line with rumors of Apple beginning to ramp up production of the iPhone 5S, but a Foxconn spokesman told Bloomberg that the current hiring freeze actually has nothing to do with waning demand for Apple products.
Quote:
Foxconn halted recruitment until the end of March after more employees returned from the Chinese New Year break than a year earlier, Bruce Liu, a spokesman for the Taipei-based company, said today in a phone interview. The decision wasn't related to iPhone 5 production, he said.
The Chinese New Year festivities last for several weeks, with many factories running at greatly reduced capacity as workers return to their homes. The offical two-week festivities conclude with the annual Lantern Festival, which takes place this Sunday, February 24.

Article Link: Foxconn Says Current Hiring Freeze Due to Strong Returning Workforce, Not Waning iPhone 5 Demand
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:55 AM   #2
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it's a comfy job there now (compared to other jobs in the region) now that the worlds eyes are focused on the plants.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

Reach for those negative Apple/iPhone stories lol
Eadfrith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:58 AM   #4
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

and YET - CNBC still reports it as due to the iPhone 5 sales. I swear to god CNBC has been so anti-apple since it hit 700, it's not even funny. It's like there's a force driving bad news to bring down the stock price.

(Practical reason? SOMEONE [maybe even apple itself!] is going to place a HUGE order at a low amount.)
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:59 AM   #5
street.cory
macrumors 6502

I'm curious to see if lower demand of the iPhone 6 months after release date will lead Apple to a quicker product release cycle.

street.cory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Analysts, the worst thing to happen to online journalism.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:04 AM   #7
ozziegn
macrumors 6502a

Foxconn probably forced that factory worker to pose with the smile on her face, or she'd lose her job. lol
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:08 AM   #8
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
It only makes sense!

I believe Foxconn!

The hiring freeze has nothing to do with reduced demand for the iPhone 5. That would be way too hard to accept. So I will believe Foxconn.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:08 AM   #9
angrynstupid
macrumors regular

Shut up, shorts

Must be a lot of shorts at the Financial Times.
angrynstupid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:15 AM   #10
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
and YET - CNBC still reports it as due to the iPhone 5 sales. I swear to god CNBC has been so anti-apple since it hit 700, it's not even funny. It's like there's a force driving bad news to bring down the stock price.

(Practical reason? SOMEONE [maybe even apple itself!] is going to place a HUGE order at a low amount.)
Maybe the CEO just really wants an iPhone 6, so he's manipulating things to speed up Apple's product cycle.
TimUSCA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
I believe Foxconn!

The hiring freeze has nothing to do with reduced demand for the iPhone 5. That would be way too hard to accept. So I will believe Foxconn.
Because the Financial Times is more reliable?

If there was any truth to the FT story Foxconn would most likely have said "we don't comment on blah blab blah".
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:17 AM   #12
applesith
macrumors 68000

Where's the apple slamming? Shouldn't it be reported that apple forces workers to come back from vacation?
applesith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:19 AM   #13
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

The girl in the picture is happy because its her 12th birthday.
lamerica80 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:21 AM   #14
GermanyChris
Banned

Yea low demand never leads to hiring freezes

yuppers..just returning workers yup..
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Yea low demand never leads to hiring freezes

yuppers..just returning workers yup..
Where's the evidence of low demand?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:27 AM   #16
psac
macrumors 6502

She's cute.
psac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:30 AM   #17
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Where's the evidence of low demand?
Where is the evidence it's returning workers especially in light of:

"Human resources officials at Foxconn's largest factories, local government officials and external recruiters working with the company said there had been internal notices on Tuesday and Wednesday to halt hiring until at least the end of March, in response to reduced orders for the iPhone 5"

but please keep believing that iOS is magical and everyone is clamoring to get one. Please believe people that have vested interest in FOXCONN as a company and Apple as a company..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:38 AM   #18
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Hi cuteeee, Please don't scratch my iPhone.....
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:41 AM   #19
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:

"Human resources officials at Foxconn's largest factories, local government officials and external recruiters working with the company said there had been internal notices on Tuesday and Wednesday to halt hiring until at least the end of March, in response to reduced orders for the iPhone 5"

but please keep believing that iOS is magical and everyone is clamoring to get one. Please believe people that have vested interest in FOXCONN as a company and Apple as a company..
When did I say anything about iOS? Foxconn has DENIED this has anything to do with iPhone 5. Why should we believe FT over Foxconn? Especially when media FUD around Apple is quite typical?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:45 AM   #20
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziegn View Post
Foxconn probably forced that factory worker to pose with the smile on her face, or she'd lose her job. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamerica80 View Post
The girl in the picture is happy because its her 12th birthday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
She's cute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Hi cuteeee, Please don't scratch my iPhone.....
What, does no one remember iPhone Girl?
Darth.Titan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:45 AM   #21
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
When did I say anything about iOS? Foxconn has DENIED this has anything to do with iPhone 5. Why should we believe FT over Foxconn? Especially when media FUD around Apple is quite typical?

The PR mouth at Foxconn that works for the president of the company (most likley) who has a vested interest in said company denies..

Last I check the iPhone was an iOS device
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:53 AM   #22
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

The PR mouth at Foxconn that works for the president of the company (most likley) who has a vested interest in said company denies..

That is not a direct quote from Foxconn and we have no idea how much editorializing is in that paragraph.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:55 AM   #23
paradox00
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Quote:
said there had been internal notices on Tuesday and Wednesday to halt hiring until at least the end of March
This is the important part. That's probably the extent of factual information they received, the rest could be speculation on the sources or the Financial Times part. No way to know for sure.
paradox00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:56 AM   #24
JAT
In Time-Out

Quote:

Of course. I'm sure a guy from (assuming) Germany, and CNN shills, know more about Foxconn employees than Foxconn brass. That's patently obvious.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:58 AM   #25
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:

So we're supposed to believe unnamed sources in an FT piece over an official Foxconn spokesperson? Why is the automatic assumption to always assume FUD about Apple is reality?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion