Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:15 AM   #101
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpod View Post
Apples "freshly released" iPhone outsold the S3.

And so did it's 2 year old 4S.

As I said, reading comprehension...you don't have it.
Before you go on a rant attacking people at least get your facts straight. The 4S was released Q4 2011 which made it one-year-old in Q4 2012.



Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:18 AM   #102
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTorro View Post
This article reminds me of a soviet era propaganda, where they were trying to prove that socialism is beating the captitalism.

The author can crunch the numbers to make Apple appear in a better light any way he pleases, but the facts remain:

In Global Smartphone sales in Q$ 2012 Samsung sold 62.9M smartphones vs Apple's 47.8. It is a comparison of all smartphones that these companies produce and sell. It shouldn't matter if Samsung makes 20 vs Apple's iPhone 3G/4/4S/5. If Samsung can output a bigger variaty of phones that people want, it shouldn't be held against them in the comperison.

For the whole year, Samsung sold 205M smartphones vs Apple's 130. That is 70M more, not a number that should be discounted, but I'm sure the Apple fanbase will be able to rebuke it somehow.

As far as Android vs iOS in Q4, 152M Android smartphones were sold in Q4 vs 47M iOS, that's a 100M more!

For 2012, the numbers are even more profound; 479M vs 135.8M, a differene of 350M smartphones. iOS market share went from 26% to 19% in a year.

When I look at these numbers, I don't see Apple winning anything. All I see is an article that distorts reality to keep the blind dumb and happy.

The other point this article forgets to point out is that the S3 is about to be replaced. A point that macrumors quikly pointed out about the 4S when the S3 outsold it. At least a mention would have been nice.
How does any of that change the fact that Apple sold the top two smartphone models in Q4 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
You can compare them all day long SGSIII is an OLD phone and but Sammies High end phone. it's still expensive. People are not buying any more cause its OLD..Does it suprise me that the 5 out sold it? NO it was just introduced..

The 4S dropped into the Apple bargain phone as soon as the 5 came out it became the $1 on contract phone. Does it suprise me that a less expensive apple product out sold a more expensive non-apple product..NO

Should we get into a big circle jerk about it NO




And that's fine

5= New and expensive
4s= equals cheap
SGSIII= old and expensive
Well, that's not true. The Galaxy S3 is the same price as the iPhone 4S (around $549), and the 4S is 6-7 months older. Your market may vary, of course.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:21 AM   #103
slrandall
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun, uk View Post
i'm not defending samsung but i don't think this comparison is entirely fair. Apple only has two models whilst samsung has lots of different models so comparing apple's entire smartphone portfolio against just one galaxy model is rather pointless. Why not add in all the samsung smartphones and see how the two brands stack up then. Samsung are not trying to build a one product business like apple, they are trying to build a many product business so theoretically there is a product for everyone. It's an entirely different philosophy. I certainly would not make any investment decisions based on this report.
read the article.
slrandall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:24 AM   #104
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Who you mean "we"?
I think everyone here knows I was specifically referring to you and that other guy.
HarryKeogh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:24 AM   #105
ElTorro
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post







Yes, I am also looking at something right now that's trying to distort reality. Unfortunately for you, we're not blind so it didn't work.
Saying a new one is coming out on March 14th does not relate to the published numbers. If they would have said that S3 is 3rd at the end of its life-cycle, it would have been different and I wouldn't have brought it up.

It's funny though how you can't argue the numbers
ElTorro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:25 AM   #106
kemal
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
estimates tho?

i'm estimating that Germany sells 76,23 % Milka chocolate compared to Oreos with 1,34 %
Bad news for your example. Both are owned by the same (American) company.

Now I would have thought Ritter Sport outsold Milka.......
__________________
1988 Mac SE Upgraded to 2.66 MacPro
kemal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:27 AM   #107
syd430
Guest
 
This is where I assert that sales numbers are relevant.

Warning: once Samsung overtakes Apple again in market share, I will withdraw this statement.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:27 AM   #108
chadley_chad
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nottingham, UK
Pretty irrelevant when the S3 is about to be replaced by the S4.

In fact, it shows the strength of the now old S3 compared to the iPhone. God help Apple when the S4 comes out ... it'll take them a year just to catch up ... and then Que. (creepy) Jonny Ive to tell the world how Apple have once again re-invented the phone!
chadley_chad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:29 AM   #109
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTorro View Post
It's funny though how you can't argue the numbers
Why argue the numbers? It's your definition of "winning" that's in question.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:31 AM   #110
Greg.
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London, UK
Who cares? I'd rather not be a sheep and have a phone that not everyone else has.
__________________
13.3" MacBook Pro || OnePlus One || Google Nexus 7
Greg. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:33 AM   #111
ElTorro
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
[QUOTE=BaldiMac;16877678]How does any of that change the fact that Apple sold the top two smartphone models in Q4 2012?

It does not change the fact that Apple sold more iPhone 4S and 5 models. But to make it seem like that Apple sells like hot cakes versus the competion is misleading, because the competion has more than one model that competes in the same category. When a company is selling 70M more smartphones than the other one, somehow this ranking in the article doesn't make a lot of sense. Somehow it doesn't explain how Samsung can sell 57% more smartphones than Apple. Don't you agree that something is missing there?
ElTorro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:38 AM   #112
CEmajr
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley_chad View Post
Pretty irrelevant when the S3 is about to be replaced by the S4.

In fact, it shows the strength of the now old S3 compared to the iPhone. God help Apple when the S4 comes out ... it'll take them a year just to catch up ... and then Que. (creepy) Jonny Ive to tell the world how Apple have once again re-invented the phone!
It's for Q4, not Q1 2013. S3 came out in July and was only 4-5 months old during Q4. It shows the strength of the over 1 year old 4S compared to the S3. I won't even comment on the iPhone 5 since we all knew it handily outsold all other phones.

When the S4 comes out it will still likely be outsold by the iPhone 5. Remember that the S3 didn't outsell the 4S until the quarter right before the iPhone 5 launch. So the S4's best shot at beating the iPhone 5 will likely be in Q3 right before Apple's next iPhone.
CEmajr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:39 AM   #113
lkrupp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmharbor View Post
I would ask: Is this the most important concern of Mac and Apple users
that really belongs in the Wall Street Journal...what is the most important
issue, is the security update offered today for download. Too often I find this site to be devoted to business news and if that is the intent, why not create a new webpage: APPLEBUSINESSNEWS.COM
While I couldn't agree more with you the fact is that fans on both sides like to play the "mine is bigger than yours" game or the "my dad is better than your dad" cliche. The iHater crowd in this thread proves that point. They want Apple gone, out of business, eradicated from the face of the earth. They want no mention of the company or its products anywhere. Yes, they are that insecure about their choice of devices and its why they squat on MacRumors.

But you are right that stock price, market share, sales figures, etc., are of little interest to users who just want to use and enjoy their devices.
lkrupp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:39 AM   #114
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTorro View Post
Saying a new one is coming out on March 14th does not relate to the published numbers. If they would have said that S3 is 3rd at the end of its life-cycle, it would have been different and I wouldn't have brought it up.

It's funny though how you can't argue the numbers
You honestly think that when people read that the S4 is coming out soon they won't be able to make the logical jump that the S3 is probably the older phone?

Just how dumb do you think the Macrumors readers are?

Because not knowing that 3 comes before 4 is pretty freaking dumb.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTorro View Post
It's funny though how you can't argue the numbers
It's funny how you totally ignored my reply to you that included a pie chart.
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:42 AM   #115
Mr.damien
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
Now let's compare the combined iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S sales with the combined Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S2 sales, shall we? And if that doesn't help, let's also add the iPhone 4 and the Galaxy S to the mix.

Are those ridiculous statistics really necessary? By now everybody already knows that Samsung sells more UNITS than Apple while Apple still has a larger profit margin because they only sell devices in the high-end price segment.

And unless Apple all of a sudden also enters the low-end price segment (i.e. smartphones WITHOUT contract for LESS than 99 USD), those figures won't magically change.
Haters gonna hate

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
estimates tho?

i'm estimating that Germany sells 76,23 % Milka chocolate compared to Oreos with 1,34 %
Yeah, that's funny how estimate are always accurate when speaking about Android destroying everything, and how fast they are not when it's about Apple leading the smartphone market.
  2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:45 AM   #116
dec.
macrumors 6502a
 
dec.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley_chad View Post
Pretty irrelevant when the S3 is about to be replaced by the S4.

In fact, it shows the strength of the now old S3 compared to the iPhone. God help Apple when the S4 comes out ... it'll take them a year just to catch up ... and then Que. (creepy) Jonny Ive to tell the world how Apple have once again re-invented the phone!
The S3 has such a short life span? That's insane.
__________________
Apple/Win/Linux stuff
dec. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:45 AM   #117
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
In fairness this article would have been clearer if it was: "Both iPhone 5 and 4S, Individually, Top Samsung Galaxy S III..."



Mike
Tinmania is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:45 AM   #118
KdParker
macrumors 68030
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
Preorders will do that.

Kinda unexpected they sold more 4S than 5 in the 6 months.
It was only one day (probably hours) before pre-orders shipped dates where pushed into the next quarter. Still impressive.
__________________
64g iPhone6+Space Grey; 16g iPhone6 Silver;16g iPhone5s Space Grey;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:48 AM   #119
lkrupp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
It's blowing my mind how many people are not bothering to read the article before making these snarky comments.
Because its about reinforcing personal bias and nothing else. What blows my mind is how many Apple haters have set up shop on MacRumors. That's kind of creepy if you ask me. I personally do not belong to a single Android/Samsung/Google centric web site because I couldn't care less about companies or products I don't use. The Apple haters, however, apparently feel compelled to infest any Apple centric web site they find. MacRumors has quite the reputation theses days of being THE haven for the anti-Apple crowd.
lkrupp is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:51 AM   #120
Mr.damien
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
I'm not defending Samsung but I don't think this comparison is entirely fair. Apple only has two models whilst Samsung has lots of different models so comparing Apple's entire smartphone portfolio against just one Galaxy model is rather pointless. Why not add in all the Samsung smartphones and see how the two brands stack up then. Samsung are not trying to build a one product business like Apple, they are trying to build a many product business so theoretically there is a product for everyone. It's an entirely different philosophy. I certainly would not make any investment decisions based on this report.
On the contrary, those stats are fair.

What would not be is exactly what you are saying and cumulate entry price device which is NOT a market where Apple is.

Apple is doing high-end, so it's comparing with samsung high-end.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:51 AM   #121
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpod View Post
I agree that the 5 outselling it isn't a surprise...and I agree that comparing sales numbers of Samsung vs Apple are never really fair, as both companies are under different release schedules. Also, you responded to me calling you a moron, I retracted that statement, because it's no way to have a conversation with someone.

That said, people ARE still buying the S3...as it sold 15.4 million units last quarter. My brother bought two of them himself.
I've been called worse things by better people..

I am not an iOS or Android user in the same why I am an OSX user i.e. if they both crash and burn tomorrow I dance a little jig. I have great contempt for Google especially with it's "open" while that is true mostly they are the only ones that create revisions. Sammy is supposedly working on a new OS so there are problems within the Android community that are not exposed.

the SIII is a fine phone, but the SIII mini is better.
The 4S is a fine phone but I dislike the 5 (soup sandwich)
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:51 AM   #122
Mr.damien
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
Because its about reinforcing personal bias and nothing else. What blows my mind is how many Apple haters have set up shop on MacRumors. That's kind of creepy if you ask me. I personally do not belong to a single Android/Samsung/Google centric web site because I couldn't care less about companies or products I don't use. The Apple haters, however, apparently feel compelled to infest any Apple centric web site they find. MacRumors has quite the reputation theses days of being THE haven for the anti-Apple crowd.
it's the same on every Apple site. Because Android is like linux: it's not tech, it's a religion.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:55 AM   #123
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
Because its about reinforcing personal bias and nothing else. What blows my mind is how many Apple haters have set up shop on MacRumors. That's kind of creepy if you ask me. I personally do not belong to a single Android/Samsung/Google centric web site because I couldn't care less about companies or products I don't use. The Apple haters, however, apparently feel compelled to infest any Apple centric web site they find. MacRumors has quite the reputation theses days of being THE haven for the anti-Apple crowd.
What is "creepy" to me is the nonsense that you are either 100% Apple or an "Apple hater." No in between. That is downright absurd in my book.

I have several macs, including one I am typing this response on, an iPad (owned several), Apple TVs, and an iPhone 4S (and every one prior). But because I switched one device (my phone) to a Note 2 I am suddenly an "Apple hater." That is hysterical when looked at from outside this asylum.

Perhaps you need to step outside and get some fresh air if you think that negatively.



Michael
Tinmania is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:55 AM   #124
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.damien View Post
it's the same on every Apple site. Because Android is like linux: it's not tech, it's a religion.
and Apple is not?
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:56 AM   #125
newagemac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Hey look an EOL phone is being out sold by two
Wrong. The iPhone 5 outsold the S3 by a large margin all by itself. The iPhone 4S also outsold the S3 by a large margin all by itself. This must really be hurting the Android fanboys egos to be so blatantly lying about what the chart is saying. The fanboyism seems to be blinding them to something staring them directly in the face.
newagemac is online now   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samsung Galaxy S III Estimated to Top iPhone 4S in 3Q 2012 Worldwide Shipments MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 297 Nov 14, 2012 03:53 PM
Samsung Galaxy S III dethrones iPhone 4S as smartphone sales champ for Q3 2012 Tarzanman Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 59 Nov 10, 2012 10:59 AM
Samsung Galaxy S III Reportedly Tops iPhone 4S as Best-Selling U.S. Smartphone MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 179 Oct 8, 2012 09:58 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC