Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Am I the only one getting bored of iPhone and Galaxy are this and that with multiple charts to show it… I get the picture!

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
But to make it seem like that Apple sells like hot cakes versus the competion is misleading, because the competion has more than one model that competes in the same category.

It's not misleading. It's just not the comparison that you would like to make.

When a company is selling 70M more smartphones than the other one, somehow this ranking in the article doesn't make a lot of sense.

It's pretty straightforward. This ranking is for worldwide market share by model. The iPhone 5 and 4S are numbers one and two by that ranking. Not sure what doesn't make sense.

Somehow it doesn't explain how Samsung can sell 57% more smartphones than Apple. Don't you agree that something is missing there?

It isn't meant to explain why Samsung sells more smartphones.

But if you do want an explanation, I think the reason that Samsung sells more smartphones than Apple is because they are cheaper and more widely available. In addition to the fact that Samsung spends 10x (or was it 20x?) more than apple on advertising and promotion.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
How does any of that change the fact that Apple sold the top two smartphone models in Q4 2012?

It does not change the fact that Apple sold more iPhone 4S and 5 models. But to make it seem like that Apple sells like hot cakes versus the competion is misleading, because the competion has more than one model that competes in the same category. When a company is selling 70M more smartphones than the other one, somehow this ranking in the article doesn't make a lot of sense. Somehow it doesn't explain how Samsung can sell 57% more smartphones than Apple. Don't you agree that something is missing there?
Samsung does not release sales figures! Ship units and sold units are completely different. When u look at profits that tells the true picture.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You can compare them all day long SGSIII is an OLD phone and but Sammies High end phone. it's still expensive. People are not buying any more cause its OLD..Does it suprise me that the 5 out sold it? NO it was just introduced..

The 4S dropped into the Apple bargain phone as soon as the 5 came out it became the $1 on contract phone. Does it suprise me that a less expensive apple product out sold a more expensive non-apple product..NO

Should we get into a big circle jerk about it NO

iPhone 4S costs about £20 more than the S3 SIM free on Amazon, although I can find them both for roughly the same price on other sites.

On O2 you can get a free S3 for £39 a month, but can only get an iPhone 4S for £42 a month if you want it for free. Other networks tell a similar story.

I'm sure it is similar in the rest of the world, as Apple tends to charge higher prices than other manufacturers.

The comparison is not an unfair one at all.

If the S3 is end of life, how is the 4S NOT end of life? S3 is still one of Samsung's two flagships. The S devices tend to sell more than the Notes, so even if the Notes were included it wouldn't have changed anything.

Not sure why people are arguing with a fair comparison... :confused:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Ketchup

If you are going to play that game how many smartphones (touchscreen) has Samsung sold in its entire history vs how many has Apple sold in its history? Anything less than a complete history is likely to distort things in one way or another.

The facts are that Apple had a 5 year lead over anybody else in the telephone manufacturing industry. But that was more than 5 years ago.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
What we children are trying to say is its a skued stat because samsung has a lot more models that canibalize each other. There is only one iphone/ios device released a year. All we are saying is a more fair and interesting stat would be to compare all iphones sold vs all samsung phones. Broken down by operating system.

But then you have the problem that Samsung sells phones at all different kinds of prices while Apple only sells high end, high price phones.

Perhaps there is no fair comparison and we should all stop bickering and focus on more important things.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
What is "creepy" to me is the nonsense that you are either 100% Apple or an "Apple hater." No in between. That is downright absurd in my book.

I have several macs, including one I am typing this response on, an iPad (owned several), Apple TVs, and an iPhone 4S (and every one prior). But because I switched one device (my phone) to a Note 2 I am suddenly an "Apple hater." That is hysterical when looked at from outside this asylum.

Perhaps you need to step outside and get some fresh air if you think that negatively.

Michael

I think you're the one who needs to step away - what exactly makes you think the post you've quoted was directed at you, personally?

That's right, nothing.

27 actually so probably older than you, you little keyboard warrior you, so get back in your box. And if I were 5 then I would be much smarter than you. And I'm not interested in how old you actually are as this is the Internet and you can put anything.

Its people like you giving this board a negative tone with your condescending remarks.

Actually the table shows Q4. The article text makes the comparison. Also, the table only shows the top 3. It could'be been made to show the to 4. Or 10. It could've also been made to show the position of the Note 2 as its one of Samsung's other biggest current devices, even as a note at the bottom. It also could've shown the iPhone 4 as I imagine that is also bundled into 'other'. Why can't you understand I just would've liked more information than is given to get a more complete picture of what is happening in the market? Likewise in the next quarter it would be interesting to see the Nexus 4 figures given the launch problems and the fact they are producing and selling them again.

For those interested, from what I can gather the Note 2 is probably at about 6 - 7 million units World wide for that quarter. So not going to change the table, but interesting nonetheless for those interested.

Unfortunately you fail. Android is an OS, not a phone manufacturer. Technically it will be Samsung fanboys, if such a thing exists.

Er, this is Mac Rumors, not General state of the phone market Rumors.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
So it's a good thing you put down a bunch of numbers, only to say it doesn't matter, because anyone could put down whatever numbers they want. Thank you for wasting everyones time with that.

You made an incorrect estimate of my age based on zero information. I simply corrected you, while stating that I am not interested in your age, because to be honest if you think you can't have a discussion with someone because of their age. And 2 seperate numbers is a 'bunch'?! Pi must overload your brain.

It's hard to not be condescending when people such as yourself interject opinions on charts because that chart didn't show things you wanted it to show, instead of discussing what actually WAS shown on the chart.

It's really not that difficult to put your point across in a constructive polite manner, however, you felt the need to be a keyboard warrior and respond with condescending comments and make an assumption of my age.

First, it shows Q3 and Q4, not just Q4 as you once again erroneously pointed out.

You are correct. I didn't see this as was previously looking on my phone and will admit that I didn't see it properly.

Second, the chart shows the top 3...because it shows the top 3. That's what this chart was for. It doesn't show the top 4 or top 10 because that's not what that chart was designed to do. If you want to discuss a different hypothetical chart, you should go to wherever that chart happens to be posted and discuss it there. But that logic doesn't apply to THIS chart, nor THIS conversation that's about THIS chart. To come here and complain about what's not on a chart is as meaningless as getting angry that the olympics don't award medals for the top 4, but only the top 3. They don't award a medal to the 4th place...because they don't. This chart doesn't show the top 4...because it doesn't.

To start with it's actually a table. Moving on, the table shows the information that most will be interested in for the purpose of the 'Mine is bigger than yours argument' However, I personally would've liked more information. Additionally, I wasn't complaining about the data on the table, I stated it would be interesting to see where the Note II fell as it is somewhat of a controversial device due to it's screen size. It's like marmite. Also, there are no medals. So to show additional information wouldn't have changed much apart from providing readers with a comprehensive article that shows a detailed snapshot of units shipped.

What baffling is why people such as yourself can't grasp that.
What's baffling is that people like you just accept what ever information is put in front of you. If you had done just the smallest bit of research you would've found additional information such as:

Country coverage includes: Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Russia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, the U.K. and the U.S.

This in regards to
Handset Country Share Tracker (CST) service
which the above table is based on. That is not Global.

Furthermore, if you had done the smallest bit of research you might have stumbled upon Gartner's figures, which paints a completely different picture.

Link to Gartner

Let's also not forget the table shows shipments, not sales as a previous poster commented on. My link shows sales to end users. There are other resources out there.

To summarise, yes the table shows a little bit of useful information. It shows that Apple shipped more iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S units to some countries in the World than Samsung shipped the Galaxy SIII. Awesome. Where are those devices now? In the hand of a user or in a box in a warehouse? That might just be shipments from Apple's warehouse to Apple's own stores. We just don't know.

Er, this is Mac Rumors, not General state of the phone market Rumors.

1. MacRumors is all one word
  2. If you are being like that, we shouldn't discuss anything bar Mac
  3. Also, this is 'fact' not rumor. Are you saying it shouldn't have been reported on as it's not a rumor
  4. The thread is talking about a specific article created by MR's news reporters. Each thread is unique and specific. This thread is about that table and the associated, and linked to, article

There is nothing wrong with debating a topic. It's what happens on forums. Also, people are actually interested in this sort of information.

If you feel this sort of thing shouldn't be discussed or reported on, please raise a suggestion in the 'Site and Forum Feedback' section

Last edited:

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
If you read the source article it definitely seems misleading. I'm all for data and numbers (I own Apple stock and own a household full of Apple products). But I'm primarily for accurate numbers...and that often means providing an adequate selection...regardless of whether they made the "top 3" models. In other words...a simple "Others" section is a lazy way to present numbers.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
To summarise, yes the table shows a little bit of useful information. It shows that Apple shipped more iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S units to some countries in the World than Samsung shipped the Galaxy SIII. Awesome. Where are those devices now? In the hand of a user or in a box in a warehouse? That might just be shipments from Apple's warehouse to Apple's own stores. We just don't know.

Excellent well thought out post...

Even better Avatar :D

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Samsung does not release sales figures! Ship units and sold units are completely different. When u look at profits that tells the true picture.

Samsung also does not release phones shipped figures, they stated that in 2010.

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
So much fail in these comments... did anyone look at the chart?

It lists the iPhone 5, the iPhone 4S, and the Galaxy SIII on separate lines!

Q4 2012 in millions of units:

27.4 - iPhone 5
17.4 - iPhone 4S
15.4 - Galaxy SIII

They didn't combine two Apple phones to beat one Samsung phone. Each phone is listed individually.

And from this chart... Apple's older iPhone 4S is outselling Samsung's current Galaxy SIII.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
You can compare them all day long SGSIII is an OLD phone and but Sammies High end phone. it's still expensive. People are not buying any more cause its OLD..Does it suprise me that the 5 out sold it? NO it was just introduced..

The 4S dropped into the Apple bargain phone as soon as the 5 came out it became the $1 on contract phone. Does it suprise me that a less expensive apple product out sold a more expensive non-apple product..NO

Should we get into a big circle jerk about it NO

And that's fine

5= New and expensive
4s= equals cheap
SGSIII= old and expensive

So tell me seriously with your deep wisdom, how do we compare fairly an Apple iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy S series

Sgs 3 : announced on May 2012, $99 with 2 y contract
iPhone 4s : announced on October 2011, $99 with 2 y contract
iPhone 5 : announced on October 2012, $199 with 2 y contract

And for being newer than 4s and older than 5, it's actually outsold by both this quarter. I can't see how unfair that is?

And if you're talking about price, SGS 3 is a huge deal compared to 4S, same upfront fee with newer and bigger phone.
Except for the fact that customer still favor it over S3 and finally it's outsold by an older and equally priced 4S. Not good

Is that so hard for you to read?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
For the whole year, Samsung sold 205M smartphones vs Apple's 130. That is 70M more, not a number that should be discounted, but I'm sure the Apple fanbase will be able to rebuke it somehow.

As far as Android vs iOS in Q4, 152M Android smartphones were sold in Q4 vs 47M iOS, that's a 100M more!

For 2012, the numbers are even more profound; 479M vs 135.8M, a differene of 350M smartphones. iOS market share went from 26% to 19% in a year.

When I look at these numbers, I don't see Apple winning anything. All I see is an article that distorts reality to keep the blind dumb and happy.

There have been plenty of articles talking about Android as a whole versus the iPhone as a whole.

This particular article, however, focuses on the top 3 smartphones from the top 2 vendors. Flagship phones to be precise. And it's pretty interesting.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
There have been plenty of articles talking about Android as a whole versus the iPhone as a whole.

This particular article, however, focuses on the top 3 smartphones from the top 2 vendors. Flagship phones to be precise. And it's pretty interesting.

The fact that iPhones can compete with Android as a whole is actually already frightening.
Apple with iPhone and iOS is a company, one man army, Android as a whole and its OEMs are many (albeit Samsung is the only dominant brand here).

If Apple can somehow surpass the whole Android total shipment and sales, then literally Apple can buy each of them and boom. It's [thermonuclear], and it ends soon.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The fact that iPhones can compete with Android as a whole is actually already frightening.
Apple with iPhone and iOS is a company, one man army, Android as a whole and its OEMs are many (albeit Samsung is the only dominant brand here).

If Apple can somehow surpass the whole Android total shipment and sales, then literally Apple can buy each of them and boom. It's [thermonuclear], and it ends soon.

Agreed.

Apple is doing very well in high-end phones. And mid-range phones if you include the 4S and 4

But people like ElTorro will always mention the TOTAL number of Android phones.

And that includes those $80 phones sold in developing nations... a market that Apple chooses to ignore.

So yeah... Android is "winning" based on the total volume of sales. But Apple is not circling the drain as a result.

Both platforms will exist.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think this report is kind of really skewed because the "newness" of the iPhone 5 drove strong sales of the device for much of the last three months of 2012. Yet, in the July-September 2012 quarter, note the very strong sales of the Galaxy S III, since people now realize the Galaxy S III is a real viable alternative.

Alas, now that the "newness" is gone from the iPhone 5, people are realizing that the current iPhone is essentially an iPhone 4S that has a slightly bigger screen and LTE support. In short, in terms of hardware features it's fallen behind all the latest Android models in many ways. Is it small wonder why I think Apple could have as many as three new models of the iPhone by this fall?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.