Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I finally turned on Screen Sharing on my Mac Mini so I can manage it from my MacBook while at home. Everything worked great. This morning I tried to connect, but the Mac Mini was not even visible in Finder.

I had to go all the way to the basement, tap the keyboard, then the mini showed back up in Finder.

I assumed this was sleep kicking in. I turned off sleep, but prefer not to have to.

The purpose of the Mini is Media Server.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Do you have "Wake for network access" checked in your Energy Saver preferences?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I would assume that the mac can't be asleep in order for it to be visible in Finder. My Mac Mini is also my media server so it's been set to sleep "Never" since day one.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Get an app like WakeOnLan, put in your MAC address and then you can remotely wake it up whenever you want. That's what I do. The Mac has to be in sleep mode and not off though.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
I'm pretty sure sleep/wake/etc. is TERRIBLE now in ML (and Lion). It's really frustrating as I assume Apple wont issue a fix... but just Google the tons of threads on it. Currently I have a problem with getting my sleeping monitor to come out of sleep (even though the Mini is on and can be used via screen share and the like)... but I use a no mouse/keyboardless setup with synergy.

jpxdude

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
The reason you are having troubles is because of the power nap and aggressive hibernation that Apple have set on these by default. You can have sleep, but you have to turn off Darkwake, and also turn off any hibernation states through pmset in terminal.

I have proper sleep state working on my Mac Mini, and have a WOL relay setup on my home network so I can wake up and manage it remotely, which works great!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The reason you are having troubles is because of the power nap and aggressive hibernation that Apple have set on these by default.
Power Nap doesn't apply to Mac minis. Only the MacBook Air (Late 2010, Mid 2011, Mid 2012) and MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) running Mountain Lion can use Power Nap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.