Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
That's an unsubstantiated opinion of yours.
The fact that Ogg Vorbis and mp3 are inferior compression algorithms to mp4 based AAC is not an opinion it is a demonstrable fact. Now whether or not your ears will be able to tell the difference is debatable.

Ignorant? I'm not the one who made a claim based on no research about a topic and then another claim after that which is unsupported.

Where did I call you ignorant? Although you certainly do seem ignorant about Ogg Vorbis and mp3 compared to AAC. A quick Google search could have saved you from making that mistake.

And comparing 320kbps in Spotify to 256kbps in iTunes Match without any reference to the compression method at all is like comparing Apples to Oranges. Another fact.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Unless you're deaf as a post or you're using inferior ear buds (read: Apple ear buds) then there is a vast difference in sound quality between the OGG files from Spotify and AAC lossless files in iTunes.

Thats not a statement of opinion, it's fact and whilst I appreciate that not everybody will always tell the difference, if you're playing these formats through a decent hifi or headphones then you should notice a big difference.

Don't get me wrong, I use Spotify a lot and pay for the premium service and it's not bad at all, however if I sit and listen to it on my hifi at home it makes me cringe because of how flat and compressed it sounds compared to higher quality formats.

If you can't tell the difference then it really makes no odds, but there is a difference and plenty of people can hear it which makes it a fact.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Unless you're deaf as a post or you're using inferior ear buds (read: Apple ear buds) then there is a vast difference in sound quality between the OGG files from Spotify and AAC lossless files in iTunes.

Who is talking about "AAC lossless"? (something which doesn't even exist)

----------

The fact that Ogg Vorbis and mp3 are inferior compression algorithms to mp4 based AAC is not an opinion it is a demonstrable fact. Now whether or not your ears will be able to tell the difference is debatable.

Is it? Prove it.

The issue is not whether one codec is better than the other.

It's whether 256kbps AAC (obtained from iTunes) is better or worse than 320kbps Ogg Vorbis from Spotify.

Any other comparison is irrelevant.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

BainthaBrakk

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011

Thats not a statement of opinion, it's fact and whilst I appreciate that not everybody will always tell the difference, if you're playing these formats through a decent hifi or headphones then you should notice a big difference.

Don't get me wrong, I use Spotify a lot and pay for the premium service and it's not bad at all, however if I sit and listen to it on my hifi at home it makes me cringe because of how flat and compressed it sounds compared to higher quality formats.

If you can't tell the difference then it really makes no odds, but there is a difference and plenty of people can hear it which makes it a fact.

It's not a fact. And that plenty of people can hear it does not make it a fact either. Your reasoning is why people buy 30k signal cables to their stereos. It's just for lack of a better word: stupid.

If you want to read more on the subject, head over to hydrogenaudio. There you'll find people who knows what they are talking about.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=88986

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010

Not everyone cares, as long as it doesn't sound too tinny people would rather stream unlimited songs - then be stuck with a few downloads for awhile of better quality. After all most people get bored with there songs after a few months and need new ones - streaming solves this problem instantly, who cares if it's not quite as good quality - most people don't notice the difference anyway!

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Right now I have rhapsody. My only complaint is that it doesn't play through the usb cable to my car stereo. In ipod mode, I can see all the tracks by album, artist, etc.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
It's not a fact. And that plenty of people can hear it does not make it a fact either. Your reasoning is why people buy 30k signal cables to their stereos. It's just for lack of a better word: stupid.

If you want to read more on the subject, head over to hydrogenaudio. There you'll find people who knows what they are talking about.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=88986

Really, so everybody hears exactly the same thing do they...? I don't think so.

It is a fact, and it can be scientifically proven if you want to go down that route. But the fact is, that different people hear different things.

A few months back I was playing some music on my hifi at home, my friend turned to me and said "whats up with your hifi, it sounds a bit odd", it was because I was playing stuff on Spotify. Switched to some decent lossless files and the same songs sounded eminently better.

Argue all you like but it's a fact.

p.s. I read your link and the associated tests (only at 64k?) and decided it was inconclusive. As I said already, just because some people can't tell the difference doesn't mean it isn't true, it just means they can't hear a difference.

Last edited:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
If they still require a Facebook login, I'm not interested.

I agree seems everything lately is tied to FB, I hate this and I have passed on apps before because of this, whether you are on Android or iOS as I have both, ticks me off.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
That's easy to fix. All you need to do is find someone from the US, get to know them, then steal their home address and credit card.

You'll be listening to that sweet, sweet music in no time!

Its even easier..... than that.. thanks to the fact Spotify allows you to remove your CC but still stay on a subscription till the end of the month :)

Get my drift ? :) All you gonna do is change find a U.S DNS when logging in and change "Country" ... Piece of cake.

Also, if Spotify Free is no one mobile, whats the point of this, since Free is "not abroad" ? Plus, the mobile version already gives you 48 hours of free access anyway if you choose to use this.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Five song play limit killed Spotify Free for me. I have no use for the Premium as I buy the music I want on CDs. Grooveshark has since taken over Spotify for me.

Still, this is nice for the people who do use Spotify Free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.