Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisynwa1987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
I got apple TV today seems to be working fine except for when i go to watch movies i already own, instead of play it says get film, then it says your film will be ready in 1 hours time. Is this normal? i dont want to be paying for the film again. I cant check my billing as hotmail wont let me access my email, so is this normal practice or am i doing something wrong? any help will be greatly appreciated.

cheers chris.

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I got apple TV today seems to be working fine except for when i go to watch movies i already own, instead of play it says get film, then it says your film will be ready in 1 hours time. Is this normal? i dont want to be paying for the film again. I cant check my billing as hotmail wont let me access my email, so is this normal practice or am i doing something wrong? any help will be greatly appreciated.

cheers chris.
You say you are trying to watch movies you already own. Are they located on your computer? Are you going through the "Computer" icon on the aTV menu to watch a movie? Or are you trying to download a movie from iTunes?

chrisynwa1987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
nah im going through the movies and into the purchased section then clicking on my pre purchased movies from there, is it just upgrading the quality?

Nov 28, 2010
located
nah im going through the movies and into the purchased section then clicking on my pre purchased movies from there, is it just upgrading the quality?

It is probably re-downloading the content, since the content is not permanently stored on the Apple TV. Btw, how did you purchase them in the first place?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Any ideas guys?

What about AirPlay and streaming the content from your iTunes library on your Windows computer? Is that not an option?

Otherwise the content, albeit already purchased and only temporary, has to be downloaded again to your Apple TV from the Apple servers holding that content.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
What you should do is turn on home sharing within iTunes on your computer. Leave iTunes open and your computer on. Then on the Apple TV, go to "computers" and pull the movie from your iTunes library and play it from there. It might ask for your Apple ID if you hadn't put it in yet. You will not have to wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.