Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kds1

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
I read here on MacRumors that the only way to distinguish between the AppleTV with the A5 chip and the the newer model with the A5X chip is by the model number.

Does anyone know what the model number for the AppleTV with the A5X chip is? I want to make sure I get that one.

Might help to know both model numbers actually, A5 version and A5X version.

EDIT: Found out from Wikipedia that the model number for the A5 chip version is MD199LL/A. This is the version currently in the store when I checked yesterday. If anyone knows what the A5X model number is or will be, and would post it here, that would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Miba.x

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
Modelnumber..

The number for the ATV "3,2" should be A1469 and A1427 for 3,1.. Cant remember where i saw it. I dont know the other part of the modelnumber.. I am also waiting for this "silent" upgrade :)

kds1

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
The number for the ATV "3,2" should be A1469 and A1427 for 3,1.. Cant remember where i saw it. I dont know the other part of the modelnumber.. I am also waiting for this "silent" upgrade :)

Hi, thanks for your reply.

If the model number is A1427 what is MD199LL/A? When I went to the Apple Store and picked up the box, MD199LL/A is what was on the price sticker. Then I saw that number listed in the Apple TV article on Wikipedia. Where do you find the A1427 number? Would it be on the hardware itself? Would I find that number if I picked up a demo unit in an Apple Store and looked on the bottom or back of it?

Thanks again, I appreciated your response.

EDIT: I didn't read the Wikipedia article close enough. You are right. A1427 is the model number for 3,1. MD199LL/A is the order number.

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hi, thanks for your reply.

If the model number is A1427 what is MD199LL/A? When I went to the Apple Store and picked up the box, MD199LL/A is what was on the price sticker. Then I saw that number listed in the Apple TV article on Wikipedia. Where do you find the A1427 number? Would it be on the hardware itself? Would I find that number if I picked up a demo unit in an Apple Store and looked on the bottom or back of it?

Thanks again, I appreciated your response.

EDIT: I didn't read the Wikipedia article close enough. You are right. A1427 is the model number for 3,1. MD199LL/A is the order number.

Where you can find A1429 on the unit itself....
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-inc.-apple-tv-third-generation-1080p/P1

However, where you can find it on the box? Not sure. I don't have any of my AppleTV boxes anymore (and a couple I bought refurbed anyway). I'm not sure if the new AppleTV 3,2 will even get a new Order Number since Apple has stated it is a silent upgrade which may mean you won't know which model you got until you open it up (much like when the iPad 2,1 was swapped out for the iPad 2,4 with the smaller and more energy efficient A5r2, both carried the same order number of MC769LL/A).

Last edited:

kds1

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
Where you can find A1429 on the unit itself....
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-inc.-apple-tv-third-generation-1080p/P1

However, where you can find it on the box? Not sure. I don't have any of my AppleTV boxes anymore (and a couple I bought refurbed anyway). I'm not sure if the new AppleTV 3,2 will even get a new Order Number since Apple has stated it is a silent upgrade which may mean you won't know which model you got until you open it up (much like when the iPad 2,1 was swapped out for the iPad 2,4 with the smaller and more energy efficient A5r2, both carried the same order number of MC769LL/A).

Thanks much, great help! I'll have to stop by the Apple Store again and check out the hardware on display.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
A1469.

Just bought mine to replace a possibly dying 2nd Gen. Will plug it in and see if anything's changed when I get home.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
A1469.

Just bought mine to replace a possibly dying 2nd Gen. Will plug it in and see if anything's changed when I get home.

Nice!

You purchased it in Australia, from Apple Online store or...?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Nice!

You purchased it in Australia, from Apple Online store or...?

I work for a reseller, saw the new code on the box, checked it, bought it.

There's nothing on the outside that looks any different.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Verdict:

It's an AppleTV. I can't see if it's smaller at all - looks the same side-by-side.

It's certainly faster in navigating menus than my A4 AppleTV and the 1080p output certainly gives my photos that extra bit of pop.

Otherwise, no difference.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Verdict:

It's an AppleTV. I can't see if it's smaller at all - looks the same side-by-side.

It's certainly faster in navigating menus than my A4 AppleTV and the 1080p output certainly gives my photos that extra bit of pop.

Thanks for posting that.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Verdict:

You sure you have the new 5x?

Cause if you went from ATV2 to ATV3/2012 some people noticed a difference in speed

Maybe you have last years model

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
You sure you have the new 5x?

Cause if you went from ATV2 to ATV3/2012 some people noticed a difference in speed

Maybe you have last years model

It's the new model. And I said I did notice a difference in speed - just not in size.

sicariis

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Does the box have the new Model #A1469 on it or is there a new Order # for this model as well? If so, can you please share. I'm looking to finally buy an Apple TV and would like to get the new hardware.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Do you know if Apple is selling those at all resellers worldwide or online ?

Nah, dunno.

Just had a delivery yesterday so I thought I'd do some investigationing.

All the new units we got in were the updated model though. Apart from the tiny model number on the bottom of the box there's no way to tell. I don't see any difference in operation between our 3,1 demo unit and my 3,2. Certainly slicker than my 2,1 unit though.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
If he's got A4169, it's the A5X model.

No one has actually proven such a thing exists, unfounded rumor and speculation. All Chundles said was his ATV3 is noticeably faster than his ATV2. Well of course it is, it has the A5 vs. the A4 of the older generation 2 model, not the A5X.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
No one has actually proven such a thing exists, unfounded rumor and speculation. All Chundles said was his ATV3 is noticeably faster than his ATV2. Well of course it is, it has the A5 vs. the A4 of the older generation 2 model, not the A5X.

Nobody is sure whether or not the Apple TV 3,2 has a dumbed down version of the A5X chip or the A5.

It would be nice to know what chip is inside the new one.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Nobody is sure whether or not the Apple TV 3,2 has a dumbed down version of the A5X chip or the A5.

It would be nice to know what chip is inside the new one.

I agree. So its best to assume its just the A5 until proven otherwise. Folks buying on the assumption its an improved architecture will be sorely disappointed when they realize its the same A5. I suspect, as has been the trend since the ATV1, there won't be a new processor until generation 4.

Johnny Vegas

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
I ordered an Apple TV from Amazon (US) a couple days ago and received model A1469. Have not noticed anything different then my model A1427, but I'm happy I have the updated version nonetheless.

And no, I'm not going to open it up to look at the chip. :p

~JV

scubagator96

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Stopped by my local Apple Store today, and they have the new A1469 mixed in with the older A1427 on the shelf...

It's faster than my 2nd gen, but that goes without saying.

BmwMPower05

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Arizona
Picked myself up one from the local apple store. They are indeed mixed in with the 1427's. Feels snappier then my 2nd Gen. which sold for a pretty penny on ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.