Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Emma92
macrumors newbie

Smashed Rear Panel of iPhone 5 (UK)

I bought my friend's unwanted contract iphone 5 in december, and have been using it with a case, but unfortunately I have been unlucky enough to get a cracked top glass panel, through the case's camera opening.

What are my options?

As i have purchased from a friend, can I still take it to the apple store?

I have also been able to find a replacement part on ebay but have already been to one repair shop who said they do not do this repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 21-02-2013 at 17.36.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	398611  
Emma92 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:49 AM   #2
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Does the camera still work?
TyPod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:51 AM   #3
coolhands
macrumors regular

Have you tried turning it off and back on again
coolhands is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Browns2212
macrumors regular

Do you have insurance on it?

My guess is that Apple will not replace something like this. This is not a Apple defect or whatever. Even if under warranty, they do not replace broken phones due to the customer dropping them, etc. (as far as I know, I mean, why would/should they?)

You basically broke/cracked the phone by mistake on your own it sounds like.

That's why I choose to pay the extra $7.99 per month. Just "in case" something bad happens or I have an accident, even though I also have a case.

Good luck.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns2212 View Post

My guess is that Apple will not replace something like this. This is not a Apple defect or whatever. Even if under warranty, they do not replace broken phones due to the customer dropping them, etc. (as far as I know, I mean, why would/should they?)

That's why I choose to pay the extra $7.99 per month. Just "in case" something bad happens or I have an accident, even though I also have a case.

Good luck.
You're being ripped off and scammed.

No insurance, you break it.
Apple policy is $229 for out-of-warranty repair on iPhone 5.
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?pa...product=iphone

With Insurance.
7.99 or whatever monthly fee + $199 non refundable deductible on approved claim.
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en...e-schedule.pdf

Cheaper to go without insurance, no reason to pay the monthly on top of broken device fee.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Browns2212
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
You're being ripped off and scammed.

No insurance, you break it.
Apple policy is $229 for out-of-warranty repair on iPhone 5.
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?pa...product=iphone

With Insurance.
7.99 or whatever monthly fee + $199 non refundable deductible on approved claim.
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en...e-schedule.pdf

Cheaper to go without insurance, no reason to pay the monthly on top of broken device fee.
I have Verizon and in the past it was a $50 deductible to get a refurbished phone.

I just sent Verizon an email to see if that has changed and am looking into what would be the best option for me in case something happened to my i5.

I really hope I'm not paying $9.99 (I was wrong thinking $7.99 as I just looked on my bill and it's $9.99) and then have to pay $200 for a new phone.

Thanks for the info.
Browns2212 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:48 PM   #7
TwistedPain
macrumors member

Quote:
I have Verizon and in the past it was a $50 deductible to get a refurbished phone.

I just sent Verizon an email to see if that has changed and am looking into what would be the best option for me in case something happened to my i5.

I really hope I'm not paying $9.99 (I was wrong thinking $7.99 as I just looked on my bill and it's $9.99) and then have to pay $200 for a new phone.

Thanks for the info.
At 9.99 a month, assuming you replace your phone every time you're eligible for a new on contract phone (20 months on verizon)...199.80 dollars plus tax plus a deductible (150.00) if you have to make a claim. You end up paying 349.80 plus tax over 20 months if you make one claim. The only advantage verizon has over AppleCare is that they also cover theft.

With AppleCare you pay 99.00 dollars plus a 49.00 deductible. Do the math.
TwistedPain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Cergman
macrumors regular

Quote:

Good luck.
7.99 a month? Thats almost $200 for 2 years. I prefer to use Apple Care + for $100 up front. It extends the warranty to two years, and Apple will replace your device for a deductible of $49. If you don't have AC+, then I would take it to Apple anyway to see what they do. I have heard of stories of them replacing cracked ones for free, though I have never tried. The worst they will do is charge $199 for a OOW replacement. Good luck!

2013 15" Retina Display MacBook Pro, 2.4 Quad i7, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD | Space Gray iPhone 5s | Space Gray iPad Air
Cergman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:07 PM   #9
blueroom
macrumors 603

AppleCare+ is the way to go for accidental insurance.
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:57 PM   #10
HubertK
macrumors newbie

I think you should just leave it for now as it will cost you way to much to replace the back as the parts are really expensive atm and its pretty hard to replace due to the construction of the iphone 5.

To replace the back you have to take appart the whole phone and I mean start from the screen and take every psingle part of the iphone.

HubertK is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 09:08 AM   #11
Emma92
macrumors newbie

that's really sad It just keeps getting worse and is flaking off more all the time

I bought the part, i'm going to attempt to repair it myself by removing the glass (using a blowdryer to loosen the glue, and then stick the new part in with some 3M tape. I'm hoping it will be straight forward.. If not then I will send it for repair cause I found someone who could repair for 37.50. Bargain!
Emma92 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 09:48 AM   #12
iRepairParts
macrumors regular

see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma92 View Post
that's really sad It just keeps getting worse and is flaking off more all the time

I bought the part, i'm going to attempt to repair it myself by removing the glass (using a blowdryer to loosen the glue, and then stick the new part in with some 3M tape. I'm hoping it will be straight forward.. If not then I will send it for repair cause I found someone who could repair for 37.50. Bargain!
Keep us posted on the repair!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:27 PM   #13
bushman4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubertK View Post
I think you should just leave it for now as it will cost you way to much to replace the back as the parts are really expensive atm and its pretty hard to replace due to the construction of the iphone 5.

To replace the back you have to take appart the whole phone and I mean start from the screen and take every psingle part of the iphone.

HubertK is right in what he's saying that Iphone5 has to be completely dismantled. Best bet would be take it to Apple pay the $229 and receive a refurished iphone5( or ask to have this repaired if they want to do it).
This is to difficult a repair for a repair shop and would be too costly.
bushman4 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:21 AM   #14
Moccasin
macrumors 6502a

Deleted
Moccasin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 03:12 AM   #15
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I bought my friend's unwanted contract iphone 5 in december, and have been using it with a case, but unfortunately I have been unlucky enough to get a cracked top glass panel, through the case's camera opening.

What are my options?

As i have purchased from a friend, can I still take it to the apple store?

I have also been able to find a replacement part on ebay but have already been to one repair shop who said they do not do this repair.
As far as I know apple replaces the back of the iPhone 5 for about 50. Book it at your local apple store and get then to look at it.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 05:58 PM   #16
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by abz1981 View Post
As far as I know apple replaces the back of the iPhone 5 for about 50. Book it at your local apple store and get then to look at it.
Let me tell you this is totally wrong...they can replace the screen or give a replacement for a fee, not the back only, and not that cheaply...
Old Mar 4, 2013, 07:59 PM   #17
localboy28
macrumors 6502a

The 4s was 25 to replace the back
Take it in to apple, you might even get it replaced for free
localboy28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 08:36 PM   #18
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Thanks for the info.
It's still $9.99 per month for insurance through Asurion on VZW. I just dropped Asurion and opted for AppleCare+ directly through Apple. I get two accidental replacements for a $49 deductible on top of the one time $99 fee for the plan itself. Asurion will send you a refurbished iPhone 5 for a $199 deductible on top of the $9.99 you pay on your monthly bill. Apple will essentially send you a brand new remanufactured device for $49. Do the math. AppleCare+ is better and cheaper in the long term.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 09:24 PM   #19
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:

You'll risk completely breaking the phone. I think you should just live with it, at least until you're willing to get it fixed (replaced) by Apple. I would just tape the flaking pieces of glass and put a case over it.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:15 AM   #20
Grayburn
macrumors 65816

https://mendmyi.com/ are a good UK based company for repairs, check them out.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:52 AM   #21
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayburn View Post
https://mendmyi.com/ are a good UK based company for repairs, check them out.
That's a really cool site, just played around with different colours for the past 5 minutes lol.

One assumes though that should you have an issue with your iPhone after you've pimped it up so to speak, your warranty is void because a third party has opened the device? Plus you'd lose that phone as Apple would likely offer a swap in any case. I'd be interested to know how that works?

Thanks for sharing though, really nice site.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:11 AM   #22
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

Just read the FAQ's section and it does void your warranty. They offer a 90 day warranty on the parts they have replaced. Still if you are willing to take the risk, why not.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 07:35 AM   #23
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
That's a really cool site, just played around with different colours for the past 5 minutes lol.

One assumes though that should you have an issue with your iPhone after you've pimped it up so to speak, your warranty is void because a third party has opened the device? Plus you'd lose that phone as Apple would likely offer a swap in any case. I'd be interested to know how that works?

Thanks for sharing though, really nice site.
You also lose the ability to do an "out of warranty" swap. So if it breaks, it's the full 500 for a new one.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 07:45 AM   #24
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

Its a shame Apple don't offer a service like this.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone