Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I have an old Umax flatbed scanner which has not been used since my G4 expired a while back and I'm wondering if I can use it with my mac Pro (Lion). It was a decent scanner in its day. If it's still useable, can I use the same scsi card?

If I need to spring for a new scanner I'd appreciate recommendations. I don't need super quality but might want to scan in graphics for use with page layout. Also might want to do OCR.

Thanks for any insights.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I believe you need a new scanner.

The SCSI card will not work. Even if you got a modern SCSI card to hook the scanner to, I'd be surprised if you could get drivers for the scanner that are compatible with Lion. Also, a new SCSI card could easily cost far more than a scanner anyway.

JavaTheHut

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
Been using a Epson V700 for a couple years now works great for Trans. & Reflect art.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I'd try the SCSI one first. It should work OK thru TWAIN. But be careful cuz there were quite a few older UMAX scanners which were multi-pass and that's drastically inferior to single scanners. If it is MP then get something new - even a $75 one will be better...

As mentioned above the V700 and especially the V750 are very nice scanners!
(I had the pleasure of writing their respective manuals.) :)

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
I'd try the SCSI one first. It should work OK thru TWAIN. But be careful cuz there were quite a few older UMAX scanners which were multi-pass and that's drastically inferior to single scanners. If it is MP then get something new - even a $75 one will be better...

I was thinking of doing this with an old film scanner and decided it was not worth my while. Old driver for the scanner + sketch scsi card + twain used to crash my photoshop.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I believe you need a new scanner.

The SCSI card will not work. Even if you got a modern SCSI card to hook the scanner to, I'd be surprised if you could get drivers for the scanner that are compatible with Lion. Also, a new SCSI card could easily cost far more than a scanner anyway.

Bummer about the card. I did see some SCSI to usb adapters mentioned on the forums, which I never knew existed. They're even pricey.

----------

Been using a Epson V700 for a couple years now works great for Trans. & Reflect art.

Thanks for input.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA

Thanks for inputs. Will check out the V700/V750. The UMAX is a single pass. Will try the SCSi if I can get a decently priced card/adaptor and can get driver.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I was thinking of doing this with an old film scanner and decided it was not worth my while. Old driver for the scanner + sketch scsi card + twain used to crash my photoshop.

Thanks for sharing. Thinking I don't need to complicate my life, but as often as not I forget this and get carried away. Will probably go with a new scanner or try to use the scanner on an HP all-in one, although the driver is pretty crude.

----------

If you need to scan big negatives (sheet film etc) get the epson V700, otherwise a cheaper model will fit your needs.

Thanks. Don't need to scan negatives at this point.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Yeah, "worth it" or not is subjective to the user. I guess a lot would depend on how good that old scanner he has is...

http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/

There are also SCSI to USB adapters...

It was a good scanner; one of their top models. Fast and good color. I used to scan product shot prints but now do digital photography.

Thanks for the link. If I can get a decent driver for it maybe I'll give it a shot. TWAIN is sort of a universal scanner interface, right? I seem to recall that a TWAIN driver is needed for the scanner.

Saw some of those SCSI to usb cards. Do they have their own drivers and would a driver for a SCSI scanner work with them?

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
It was a good scanner; one of their top models. Fast and good color. I used to scan product shot prints but now do digital photography.

Thanks for the link. If I can get a decent driver for it maybe I'll give it a shot. TWAIN is sort of a universal scanner interface, right? I seem to recall that a TWAIN driver is needed for the scanner.

Saw some of those SCSI to usb cards. Do they have their own drivers and would a driver for a SCSI scanner work with them?

Well SANE stands for "Scanner Access Now Easy" ;) See http://www.sane-project.org for details.

And yeah, TWAIN is a Protocol/API. All ya need is a "Data Source" (TWAIN jargon) for your scanner model AFAIK. "TWAIN" by the way isn't an acronym - it's actually taken from a line in a song: "Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the TWAIN shall meet..." :D Us software engineers are so silly! :rolleyes: About the only decent resource I know for it outside of my own 17,000+ printed book collection (not all on the topic of TWAIN obviously) is http://twainforum.org but even that is pretty quiet these days. I guess there are a bunch of white-papers on-line that can be sussed though.

Anyway, if you're considering the V700 or V750 models which are fairly expensive then it might be worth spending a free day trying to get your current one connected and working first. Also while I'm at it I should probably mention that there are SCSI to firewire adapters as well - which some folks report as working better (probably due to the speed).

Last edited:

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Here's a very long shot.

I have a Compaq AlphaServer DS10 with two LSI Logic SCSI cards. I only need one card now.

The DS10 is old, so the slots must be the old PCI flavor.

LSI Logic SYMB952-U. I can't remember whether I bought it from Compaq or not. If I did, it might have non-generic firmware onboard. I just don't know.

If you do some research and think it might work, I'll gladly send it to you.

That said, in my experience new scanners are a whole lot better than old ones, at least in the same spec range.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Maybe TWAIN has been improved a lot in these last few years, but back in the day when I used SCSI scanners and TWAIN, the feature set was very limited compared to using the scanner's proprietary drivers and software. Granted, that was back in the mid-90's.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Here's a very long shot.

I have a Compaq AlphaServer DS10 with two LSI Logic SCSI cards. I only need one card now.

The DS10 is old, so the slots must be the old PCI flavor.

LSI Logic SYMB952-U. I can't remember whether I bought it from Compaq or not. If I did, it might have non-generic firmware onboard. I just don't know.

If you do some research and think it might work, I'll gladly send it to you.

That said, in my experience new scanners are a whole lot better than old ones, at least in the same spec range.

Thanks for the offer. Your card is probably similar to the Adaptec card I was using in the G4 so I doubt it will help. The more I think about this the more it seems I need to spring for a new scanner. I will check to see if the Adaptec can run in my Mac Pro. BTW, scanner is a Umax Powerlook II. I'll also check to see if I can get updated software for it. Worth a stab anyway, but I think the this exercise is getting complicated enough to be counterproductive.

Danny52

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2016
Madison, TN

I have a MacBook Pro (mid-2015) and need a scanner that will scan negatives as large as 8x10 as well as 11x17 reflective art and photos. I'm looking at the V700 and V750 but I think they don't handle large format scans. I had priced a V650 but understand the SCSI connection may be a problem. Do you have a recommendation that isn't outrageously priced? The V800 or V850?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.