Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:43 PM   #76
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
probably US only thx to contant bs being different for each country. oh well i got free spotify premium & unlimited music data with tmobile anyway
That's easy to fix. All you need to do is find someone from the US, get to know them, then steal their home address and credit card.

You'll be listening to that sweet, sweet music in no time!
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:06 PM   #77
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
That's an unsubstantiated opinion of yours.
The fact that Ogg Vorbis and mp3 are inferior compression algorithms to mp4 based AAC is not an opinion it is a demonstrable fact. Now whether or not your ears will be able to tell the difference is debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Ignorant? I'm not the one who made a claim based on no research about a topic and then another claim after that which is unsupported.
Where did I call you ignorant? Although you certainly do seem ignorant about Ogg Vorbis and mp3 compared to AAC. A quick Google search could have saved you from making that mistake.

And comparing 320kbps in Spotify to 256kbps in iTunes Match without any reference to the compression method at all is like comparing Apples to Oranges. Another fact.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:16 PM   #78
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

Unless you're deaf as a post or you're using inferior ear buds (read: Apple ear buds) then there is a vast difference in sound quality between the OGG files from Spotify and AAC lossless files in iTunes.

Thats not a statement of opinion, it's fact and whilst I appreciate that not everybody will always tell the difference, if you're playing these formats through a decent hifi or headphones then you should notice a big difference.

Don't get me wrong, I use Spotify a lot and pay for the premium service and it's not bad at all, however if I sit and listen to it on my hifi at home it makes me cringe because of how flat and compressed it sounds compared to higher quality formats.

If you can't tell the difference then it really makes no odds, but there is a difference and plenty of people can hear it which makes it a fact.
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:41 PM   #79
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanoir View Post
Unless you're deaf as a post or you're using inferior ear buds (read: Apple ear buds) then there is a vast difference in sound quality between the OGG files from Spotify and AAC lossless files in iTunes.
Who is talking about "AAC lossless"? (something which doesn't even exist)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
The fact that Ogg Vorbis and mp3 are inferior compression algorithms to mp4 based AAC is not an opinion it is a demonstrable fact. Now whether or not your ears will be able to tell the difference is debatable.
Is it? Prove it.

The issue is not whether one codec is better than the other.

It's whether 256kbps AAC (obtained from iTunes) is better or worse than 320kbps Ogg Vorbis from Spotify.

Any other comparison is irrelevant.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:07 PM   #80
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon44 View Post
I'm sure they'll be gutted to not have you and the other 3 people on Earth who think are too cool for Facebook
And this is what Zuckerberg thinks of you:

Quote:
ZUCK: i have over 4000 emails, pictures, addresses, sns
FRIEND: what!? how’d you manage that one?
ZUCK: people just submitted it
ZUCK: i don’t know why
ZUCK: they “trust me”
ZUCK: dumb f**ks

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...g-facebook-ceo
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:28 PM   #81
.Asa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
I'm glad I signed up before they started requiring that. I know several people who won't join because they'd have to use a Facebook account.
Yeah, that's me.
I can't wait for Apple's radio.
.Asa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:45 PM   #82
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

I just want to find an Internet radio service that will work in Canada.
KieranDotW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:10 AM   #83
BainthaBrakk
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Thats not a statement of opinion, it's fact and whilst I appreciate that not everybody will always tell the difference, if you're playing these formats through a decent hifi or headphones then you should notice a big difference.

Don't get me wrong, I use Spotify a lot and pay for the premium service and it's not bad at all, however if I sit and listen to it on my hifi at home it makes me cringe because of how flat and compressed it sounds compared to higher quality formats.

If you can't tell the difference then it really makes no odds, but there is a difference and plenty of people can hear it which makes it a fact.
It's not a fact. And that plenty of people can hear it does not make it a fact either. Your reasoning is why people buy 30k signal cables to their stereos. It's just for lack of a better word: stupid.

If you want to read more on the subject, head over to hydrogenaudio. There you'll find people who knows what they are talking about.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=88986
BainthaBrakk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:37 AM   #84
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

Great! Now I can quit paying $9.99 every month and get the same features!
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:50 AM   #85
runeapple
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Not everyone cares, as long as it doesn't sound too tinny people would rather stream unlimited songs - then be stuck with a few downloads for awhile of better quality. After all most people get bored with there songs after a few months and need new ones - streaming solves this problem instantly, who cares if it's not quite as good quality - most people don't notice the difference anyway!
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:53 AM   #86
yakapo
macrumors regular

Right now I have rhapsody. My only complaint is that it doesn't play through the usb cable to my car stereo. In ipod mode, I can see all the tracks by album, artist, etc.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:49 PM   #87
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainthaBrakk View Post
It's not a fact. And that plenty of people can hear it does not make it a fact either. Your reasoning is why people buy 30k signal cables to their stereos. It's just for lack of a better word: stupid.

If you want to read more on the subject, head over to hydrogenaudio. There you'll find people who knows what they are talking about.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=88986
Really, so everybody hears exactly the same thing do they...? I don't think so.

It is a fact, and it can be scientifically proven if you want to go down that route. But the fact is, that different people hear different things.

A few months back I was playing some music on my hifi at home, my friend turned to me and said "whats up with your hifi, it sounds a bit odd", it was because I was playing stuff on Spotify. Switched to some decent lossless files and the same songs sounded eminently better.

Argue all you like but it's a fact.

p.s. I read your link and the associated tests (only at 64k?) and decided it was inconclusive. As I said already, just because some people can't tell the difference doesn't mean it isn't true, it just means they can't hear a difference.
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb

Last edited by Beanoir; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Beanoir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:05 AM   #88
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
If they still require a Facebook login, I'm not interested.
I agree seems everything lately is tied to FB, I hate this and I have passed on apps before because of this, whether you are on Android or iOS as I have both, ticks me off.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:00 AM   #89
skelaw
macrumors member

what are ya'll talking about? When did the mandatory FB login start?
skelaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:28 AM   #90
gonca
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaw View Post
what are ya'll talking about? When did the mandatory FB login start?
Never, that's not true buddy..
gonca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:03 PM   #91
Dzupiris
macrumors newbie

Is spotify just like tune in radio?
Dzupiris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:10 AM   #92
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
That's easy to fix. All you need to do is find someone from the US, get to know them, then steal their home address and credit card.

You'll be listening to that sweet, sweet music in no time!

Its even easier..... than that.. thanks to the fact Spotify allows you to remove your CC but still stay on a subscription till the end of the month

Get my drift ? All you gonna do is change find a U.S DNS when logging in and change "Country" ... Piece of cake.

Also, if Spotify Free is no one mobile, whats the point of this, since Free is "not abroad" ? Plus, the mobile version already gives you 48 hours of free access anyway if you choose to use this.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:21 AM   #93
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Five song play limit killed Spotify Free for me. I have no use for the Premium as I buy the music I want on CDs. Grooveshark has since taken over Spotify for me.

Still, this is nice for the people who do use Spotify Free.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:21 AM   #94
Dornblaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
If they still require a Facebook login, I'm not interested.
I canceled my Spotify subscription for that reason. MOG and Pandora work well for me.
Dornblaser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion