Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:15 PM   #176
runeapple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
Killed a few minutes. I was able to fit 3 layers of cardboard inside to make it more rigid and give it more mass.

Seems to fit pretty good in my hand and I have short stubby fingers lol
I struggle to use my iPhone 5 with one hand, so I definitely would't be able to use that - I would rather have a smaller iPhone and an iPad, much more sensible.

I just want to see more phablets on the market the Galaxy note is just stupid.
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:41 PM   #177
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post

Except your point fails to mention they already did this with the iPhone 5. You think they made it bigger because they felt it needed it? No it was because the competition was coming with larger devices and users wanted that with the iPhone. Stretched out or not they still made it bigger to compete against the larger offerings on the market.
The change in iPhone 5 screen size was to get it to 16:9

You don't think they arbitrarily increased the height by 176 pixels and it became 16:9 by accident do you?
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:19 PM   #178
Premium1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
The change in iPhone 5 screen size was to get it to 16:9

You don't think they arbitrarily increased the height by 176 pixels and it became 16:9 by accident do you?
I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about making it larger to try and come closer to some of the competition. If you honestly think they just did it to make it 16:9 you are crazy. Especially how they had all those apps for awhile with black boxes because they weren't optimized. And you know how much apple loves to brag about their apps working and only using certain screen size/resolutions for this
Premium1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:07 PM   #179
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
The change in iPhone 5 screen size was to get it to 16:9

You don't think they arbitrarily increased the height by 176 pixels and it became 16:9 by accident do you?
I'm thinking they did it because they wanted to make an iPhone with a bigger screen without increasing the width of the device. They bumped it up to 16:9 because it's an industry wide standard, and it gave them a good bit more screen real estate to play with.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:58 PM   #180
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about making it larger to try and come closer to some of the competition. If you honestly think they just did it to make it 16:9 you are crazy. Especially how they had all those apps for awhile with black boxes because they weren't optimized. And you know how much apple loves to brag about their apps working and only using certain screen size/resolutions for this
Yes... they did it to come closer to the competition in 2010... when 4" phones ruled the roost.

But more importantly... they changed the aspect ratio. Notice that the iPod Touch also got a 16:9 screen.

The iPhone and iPod Touch had a 3:2 aspect ratio for the first 5 years. Now it will be 16:9 for the foreseeable future.

In a couple years Apple won't be selling anymore 3:2 ratio devices. But there's always growing pains for developers.

Remember the move to Retina? They survived it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post

I'm thinking they did it because they wanted to make an iPhone with a bigger screen without increasing the width of the device. They bumped it up to 16:9 because it's an industry wide standard, and it gave them a good bit more screen real estate to play with.
Who knows if there was a single reason or not.

They got both a larger screen and an industry standard 16:9 aspect ratio in one revision.

I'm predicting iPhones and iPod Touches with 16:9 for a while... and 4:3 for iPads.
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:15 AM   #181
DoctorTim
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
5" requires two hands?

Something needs to be bigger than 5" before it requires two hands. If porn has taught me anything it's that.
DoctorTim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:46 AM   #182
runeapple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
Yes... they did it to come closer to the competition in 2010... when 4" phones ruled the roost.

But more importantly... they changed the aspect ratio. Notice that the iPod Touch also got a 16:9 screen.

The iPhone and iPod Touch had a 3:2 aspect ratio for the first 5 years. Now it will be 16:9 for the foreseeable future.

In a couple years Apple won't be selling anymore 3:2 ratio devices. But there's always growing pains for developers.

Remember the move to Retina? They survived it!



Who knows if there was a single reason or not.

They got both a larger screen and an industry standard 16:9 aspect ratio in one revision.

I'm predicting iPhones and iPod Touches with 16:9 for a while... and 4:3 for iPads.
16:9 is great for airplaying to the Apple TV, I too can't imagine them changing it - I am imagining the new 16:9 aspect ratio may have something to do with the upcoming Apple TV Set.
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:06 PM   #183
sbrhwkp3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lake George, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkadamsjr View Post
I respectfully disagree. The home button is synonymous with Apple. And personally, I think a touch button isn't feasible, as many would unintentionally tap the button during normal use.
I don't think they'll go to a touch button. But they will make the home button smaller. It's inevitable. They've already done it on the iPhone 5. Soon, the circle will be become oval to slim the bezel even further.
sbrhwkp3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:37 PM   #184
wkadamsjr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrhwkp3 View Post
I don't think they'll go to a touch button. But they will make the home button smaller. It's inevitable. They've already done it on the iPhone 5. Soon, the circle will be become oval to slim the bezel even further.
I thought you were leaning the touch direction, but wasn't sure. An oval could enable other "features" (swiping to switch apps, for example), and I very much see that happening at some point.
wkadamsjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:20 PM   #185
3lite
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post
It just looks taller?
I think that's the point.
3lite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:30 PM   #186
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTim View Post
Something needs to be bigger than 5" before it requires two hands. If porn has taught me anything it's that.
Thats a fact.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:01 PM   #187
Premium1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrhwkp3 View Post
I don't think they'll go to a touch button. But they will make the home button smaller. It's inevitable. They've already done it on the iPhone 5. Soon, the circle will be become oval to slim the bezel even further.
So similar to samsungs home button. I can only imagine how that will turn out after they try and sue Samsung for "copying"
Premium1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:18 PM   #188
bb-15
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
It works for me.

I know this thread is dead. But I found the article yesterday and I was able to make my paper mockup of a possible larger iPhone.

I have an iPhone 5 and a retina iPad. I use both devices at about the same distance (~ 1 foot/30 cm) since I wear reading glasses. Both screens are very clear.

So, a larger iPhone with the same ppi as the iPad would be fine with me.
bb-15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2013, 08:35 AM   #189
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000
 
PinkyMacGodess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midwest America.
...
PinkyMacGodess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:02 AM   #190
anjo108
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
I would prefer a 4.3 inch tho

I feel the perfect size is 4.3 inch
anjo108 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:28 AM   #191
anjo108
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
ehehehe I have printed it and made it.
too big for me. cant fit in my jeans's pockets.

I will never buy an Iphone bigger then 4.3 inch.
anjo108 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Case for Larger 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Model Surfaces with Dimensions MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 123 Jun 1, 2014 11:33 PM
3D Printable 4.7-Inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Mockups Now Available from Free Plans MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 70 May 15, 2014 01:02 AM
24-Inch 4K Display from Dell Priced at $1399, 28-Inch 4K Model Coming at Under $1000 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 200 Mar 6, 2014 08:58 PM
Gaming on the base model 15 inch or 13 inch maxxed Mansali MacBook Pro 3 Oct 25, 2013 03:22 PM
13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Said to Carry 'Unprecedented' Battery Design, Same Port Layout as 15-Inch Model MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 195 Oct 20, 2012 06:45 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC