Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Killed a few minutes. I was able to fit 3 layers of cardboard inside to make it more rigid and give it more mass.

Seems to fit pretty good in my hand and I have short stubby fingers lol :D

Attachments

• IMG_6333.jpg
    IMG_6333.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,714

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I can't press the buttons.... This phones busted..

(Looks like one of those things Jay Leno would do)

Apple came up with the marketing term "Retina"... At which point, and how low can it be before Apple decides its "not-Retina" ?

Being a marketing term, only by Apple, they can fudge the numbers any time, at the same time, confusing the hell out of users.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The widescreen aspect ratio for the screen in the iPhone 5 was a really bad choice by Apple (as can be seen by contender devices being both taller AND wider in screen selling great) and the only halfway proper argument for only gain in height and no gain in width was in being able to say: "but, but.. you can still use it with one thumb!!"

Those "taller and wider" phone have the same wide-screen aspect ratio as the iPhone 5:

iPhone 5
1136 x 640 = ~1.78:1

Galaxy S III
1280 x 720 = ~1.78:1

Any 1920x1080 device = ~1.78:1

(1.78:1 = 16:9)

Apple simply went to the same aspect ratio, but kept the pixel width the same, which was handy (among other things), for development and app compatibility. I get wanting more screen real estate in general, but the aspect ratios are the same for most of the premium Android devices (vs. the iPhone 5).

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
At this point, the size is only half the equation. iOS is getting more and more dated by the day.

Without a major iOS overhaul, I don't think they are going to capture any new marketshare.

Exactly, the iOS 7 presentation and OSX 10.9 is what I am most interested in

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
I remember all the people that saw the stretched out iPhone 4s which became the iPhone 5 say it was bad.

These same people who probably went out and bought an iPhone 5 then said it was the best phone out. I can see the circle repeating itself here.

I agree with some of the comments here. A 4.7 or 5 inch phone is only half the equation. The iOS is stale and needs a facelift.

I like the 3 live tile sizes that Windows Phone 8 uses. Apple could easily introduce something like this to give more freedom and customisation in the iOS.

A small icon could be what it is now. A medium could be the space of 4 square icons, and a large could be 4 icons in a rectangular shape. This would give Apple the ability to display more on their icons.

As an example I'll use the clock icon. If you just want an icon then you can have the normal iOS size icon we have now. If you want a medium size icon, you could have a simple time display. If you want a big HTC like time display you can go the large size icon.

Think about it. Calendar, Weather, Stocks and many other icons could be used like this.

I know some of you may say, "Well just buy a Windows Phone", but I say to you that Apple should be looking at the competition and improving on what they started. This is why Samsung is quite comfortable where they are. They watch the competition and either copy or make it better on their phones.

Apple's innovation is like a car coasting along at 60km/h while the rest of the competition eventually overtakes them. I don't want this to happen.

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
These instructions are even easier:

1. Take your iPhone 5.
2. Hold it a few inches closer to your face.
3. Boom, bigger screen!

As a bonus, it still fits in your pocket.

lol, putting a screen closing to your face doesn't magically make it bigger! then people might as well stop buying TVs and just hold their smartphones up to their face

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
I just printed it out and put it together and it's NOT WORKING?! What the heck is this? The phone function isn't working. The Music app isn't launching and it won't connect to Wi-Fi. I'm calling Apple right now and complaining. Bunch of idiotz

Your.....folding it wrong

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I love Papercraft. I have several gigabytes of papercraft models on my computer. Considering they're just small files, that would be a lot.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
This mockup is based on the same exact phone design as the iPhone 5. There's no way they'll need top and bottom bezels that large with all the extra space behind the screen itself.

Eventually, Apple will go away from a big round button at the bottom of their phones. It's cumbersome, outdated, and hinders their ability to slim the bezels.

I respectfully disagree. The home button is synonymous with Apple. And personally, I think a touch button isn't feasible, as many would unintentionally tap the button during normal use.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I just tried to download the MacRumors app after seeing it "installed" on that 5" iPhone mockup. It doesn't exist!!! Damn you guys.:D

I think that was a home screen shortcut not an app. ;)

I printed the thing out, paying no attention to scale. When it popped out of my color printer, I looked for a ruler to check the dimensions and as none was handy, I whipped out my scissors and started cutting. After folding I held it up next to my iPhone 5 and it was... the same size! Oops. Now I decided to pay attention to scale and observed that Preview had auto-scaled it to 91 percent. So now I have two iPhone 5's, one of which has a Macrumors app! :D

Meanwhile, I printed the thing again, this time making sure it was set to 100%. I walked across the room and dug around for a ruler to make sure the dimensions are accurate. I haven't had a chance to cut it out just yet but I did observe that it's larger than it's misprinted little brother and my iPhone 5. It's about 3/8" taller and 3/16" wider. In fact it seems to be almost exactly the size of my friend's Galaxy S III. I really do like the look of the larger screen but I'd be willing to sacrifice 16:9 aspect ratio to get 768 or better screen resolution (for the smallest dimension) at this screen size. To me it makes no sense for Apple to release something that lowers PPI of their flagship product. It would appear to the world, as it does to me, as a panic move to stem the bleeding of users defecting to Samsung phones.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I think that was a home screen shortcut not an app. ;)

I printed the thing out, paying no attention to scale. When it popped out of my color printer, I looked for a ruler to check the dimensions and as none was handy, I whipped out my scissors and started cutting. After folding I held it up next to my iPhone 5 and it was... the same size! Oops. Now I decided to pay attention to scale and observed that Preview had auto-scaled it to 91 percent. So now I have two iPhone 5's, one of which has a Macrumors app! :D

Meanwhile, I printed the thing again, this time making sure it was set to 100%. I walked across the room and dug around for a ruler to make sure the dimensions are accurate. I haven't had a chance to cut it out just yet but I did observe that it's larger than it's misprinted little brother and my iPhone 5. It's about 3/8" taller and 3/16" wider. In fact it seems to be almost exactly the size of my friend's Galaxy S III. I really do like the look of the larger screen but I'd be willing to sacrifice 16:9 aspect ratio to get 768 or better screen resolution (for the smallest dimension) at this screen size. To me it makes no sense for Apple to release something that lowers PPI of their flagship product. It would appear to the world, as it does to me, as a panic move to stem the bleeding of users defecting to Samsung phones.

Haha did the same exact same thing but I did it on cheap copy paper first. Went back and changed the scaling to 100% and printed on the other side. Then printed on some thicker semi-glossy photo paper. 3 pieces of cardboard cutout layered and taped together to fill it in works great for a solid feel.

----------

I can't believe how realistic your paper model looks in those photos!

kralnor

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
Are you talking about the people that will stand in line all night in the cold to buy a product they have never even seen?

The same ones who make up excuses for all the shortcomings and sell them as features. I still remember all the snarky comments iPhone users used to make about 4g before they could use it. How nice it was the iPhone wasn't able to connect even if they wanted it to because it "wasn't ready yet" and would potentially drain their batteries.

----------

lol.... oh man,, i never laughed soo hard in my life ....lol :apple:

Great forum.

Need to get out more clearly.

kralnor

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
Just make the iPad mini Retina and add the Phone App / Real Phone Capability. I returned my mini not just because of the display - that was 60% of it ... the other reason was that I quickly learned I did not like managing/having two devices with me at all time.

The iPad Mini also needs to be a phone.

This is the lowest cost, least fragmented and best option for Apple - I honestly think they will do it.

They won't though, thats the best option for the consumer, not for apple. if they did that then people will buy one product instead of two. If you can release two or three devices that are all pretty nice, but none of them do everything people need/want them to, that's the best for the company. The true phone/tablet hybrid will be an android device first, of course, then followed by apple once the market shows how popular it is.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The same ones who make up excuses for all the shortcomings and sell them as features. I still remember all the snarky comments iPhone users used to make about 4g before they could use it. How nice it was the iPhone wasn't able to connect even if they wanted it to because it "wasn't ready yet" and would potentially drain their batteries.

Yep. The same ones. Every companies dream customer. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.