Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:31 PM   #301
davcolley
macrumors newbie

Google Glass

Faster way to spot a Dork. Keep trying google, but can't you more closely copy Apple's laptops. Your last attempt was a fail.
davcolley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:36 PM   #302
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
That's exactly what I meant when I replied to your snarky comment. Word for word
Uh, ok. Good to know.
Fatalbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:39 PM   #303
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
Think whatever you want, at least google is innovating at the moment. Can't say the same about Apple.
You underestimate Apple, but would agree Google is pouring on the R&D and making cool devices.
Both are pushing the envelope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Just my opinion mind you but this is one of the dumbest products ever.
Same thing was said about the iPod.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:29 PM   #304
sentiblue
macrumors Demi-God

This is absolutely a beautiful innovation!!!

We haven't gone this drastically far before in technology...

The "mini" definition of this device beats EVERY other "mini" computer in the world...

I'm only worried that... during the middle of a loud environment.... whether the Glass can still recognize my voice command....

Nevertheless... I WILL buy the device... even if it was $2k.
sentiblue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:43 PM   #305
syd430

A lot of people are missing the mark here. Of course looking at this product in isolation makes it look unpromising. The promise lies in the future iterations of such devices. Make no mistake, it is the future. It's dinky looking glasses today but one day it will be contact lenses. The UX will match and exceed that of current smartphones and it will no longer be a novelty. Eventually, a company will also come along that will make make the product viable for the general market and people will wonder how people got anything done by holding a brick in their hands.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:02 PM   #306
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicWok View Post
Sure... One device helps a blind person see on an imaginary TV show, whilst the other device is a real world device that relays information onto a screen for someone that isn't blind. Totally comparable. .
This kind of tech has been at least researched to help the blind. Imagine that GPS being able to guide a blind person around town. The camera could detect items in the users path, even traffic at streets. Or read words and barcodes off products to tell someone what they are holding
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:10 PM   #307
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a

<=10 years, this is going to be great. Complete integration with eyeglasses (just pick your frames at Lens Crafters), better all-around data access, and a few years for people to generate the support infrastructure for some great apps

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC12309 View Post
I bet most people here would buy the stupid iWatch over this just because Apple makes the watch.
As long as the watch isn't 1500...
But I would only pick the watch because at this point I bet it would be more useful. I think Google's onto something wonderful here
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:27 PM   #308
wikiverse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan20 View Post
Apple never shows off what they are developing before they are actually going to release it.
Which can be a terrible idea.

Final Cut X, for example.
wikiverse is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:29 PM   #309
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStern View Post
"innovating" is easier when you are willing to throw anything at the wall and home something sticks.
Agreed. Google glass, looks good.
Chromebook Pixel. Technology way ahead of it's time, in the end it's really unusable for everyone.

If you invent enough things, eventually one of them is bound to be good. But getting a high success ratio of good products? That's skill.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:14 PM   #310
bassfingers
macrumors 6502

So, this is better than a bluetooth headset with your phone strapped to your forehead how?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:22 PM   #311
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
An opinion cannot be wrong.
Actually it can. If it was my opinion that women should lose the vote, then my opinion is wrong.

But I was only being half serious with my statement!
HishamAkhtar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:55 PM   #312
koban4max
macrumors 65816

weird but innovative.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:24 PM   #313
Telp
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Telp
Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
Actually it can. If it was my opinion that women should lose the vote, then my opinion is wrong.

But I was only being half serious with my statement!
You make a good point, but, while that opinion may not be the same as your beliefs, that doesn't make it wrong. While there are other issues with that statement, the opinion itself is not incorrect. But let's not get into a debate like that here.

My final statement:

The Chromebook Pixel is a terrible idea, no matter how good the product itself might be. While the chromebook in general is a fine product, making a half baked notebook more expensive than any other product of its kind on the market is not.

That being said, Google Glass is merely, in my opinion, a stupid product. The technology is cool, don't get me wrong, but why do I want to wear something like that on my face? For everyone on this same forum who said SIRI was stupid cause you had to talk to it in public must think this is a terrible product...in theory.

I have no issues with Google, I'm just not impressed with their latest bringings. That goes the same for Apple. Either way, I'm curious to see the evolution of Google Glass.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:29 PM   #314
Eso
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
It's dinky looking glasses today but one day it will be contact lenses.
That's a pretty ridiculous stretch.

I don't think Google Glasses are the future at all. Even if they offered full augmented reality HUD with eye tracking where the user activated elements cognitively, I don't see the market for being constantly connected to a digital reality.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:39 PM   #315
polbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telp View Post
You make a good point, but, while that opinion may not be the same as your beliefs, that doesn't make it wrong. While there are other issues with that statement, the opinion itself is not incorrect. But let's not get into a debate like that here.

My final statement:

The Chromebook Pixel is a terrible idea, no matter how good the product itself might be. While the chromebook in general is a fine product, making a half baked notebook more expensive than any other product of its kind on the market is not.

That being said, Google Glass is merely, in my opinion, a stupid product. The technology is cool, don't get me wrong, but why do I want to wear something like that on my face? For everyone on this same forum who said SIRI was stupid cause you had to talk to it in public must think this is a terrible product...in theory.

I have no issues with Google, I'm just not impressed with their latest bringings. That goes the same for Apple. Either way, I'm curious to see the evolution of Google Glass.
How many people said a music player with a round wheel control was a stupid idea?

How many people said a phone with no keyboard was a stupid idea?

How many people said a tablet was a stupid idea?

I thought so...

While I don't get Pixel pricing and specs, I view Glass as the future. Finally real augmented reality, photos/videos without the distractions. Kudos to Google for developing something like that, just like I gave cudos to Apple for developing iPod, iPhone and iPad, in face of public criticism.
- Verizon Galaxy Note 3
polbit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:46 PM   #316
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso View Post
That's a pretty ridiculous stretch.

I don't think Google Glasses are the future at all. Even if they offered full augmented reality HUD with eye tracking where the user activated elements cognitively, I don't see the market for being constantly connected to a digital reality.
Sure, we're all going to be using handheld devices and laptop/desktop computers for the next 150 years. That's sarcasm by the way.

Also I never said that GOOGLE GLASSES are the future. Stop putting words in my mouth. I made it pretty clear that I said the general technology is a step in the right direction and that it's pretty clear that we won't need physical devices in the distant future.

Go be combative and rude somewhere else. I'm all for rational debate, but being rude is just a sign of your immaturity and childishness.

Last edited by syd430; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
  2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:54 PM   #317
Eso
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The only thing ridiculous is your short-sightedness and arrogance.
LOL OK buddy. You're right, the leap from Google glasses to contact lens computer is quite reasonable.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:03 AM   #318
syd430

Quote:
LOL OK buddy. You're right, the leap from Google glasses to contact lens computer is quite reasonable.
Actually, it already exists in a very early form today. The processing power doesn't have to be in the lens itself.:

http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wirele...r-contact-lens

With the current rate of advancements in nanotechnology, it could eventually be a viable product.

Not sure why you're commenting of something that you have zero knowledge in.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:04 AM   #319
Vodka
macrumors regular

interested in how those would react in a crowded place
Vodka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:17 AM   #320
jeremiah256
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
Soon it will be impossible to be in public without everyone instantly knowing who you are.
Macs have had facial recognition in iPhoto for a while now. Believe it's also part of Facebook and I've read Google doesn't put it in their products like Google Goggles because it would freak people out at how good it is. We are entering an age where everyone is on both sides of the Truman Show glass.

Last edited by jeremiah256; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Forgot an 's'
jeremiah256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:19 AM   #321
Eso
macrumors 68000

Quote:
With the current rate of advancements in nanotechnology, it could eventually be a viable product.
One whole pixel?

For tech that's so far away from being feasible, you seem way too invested in this being "the future".

How are you so sure it won't instead be an earpiece that interfaces directly with your brain, one that's controlled by thought and forms images directly in your mind? The infancy of that tech is also here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR_LBcZg_84

http://gizmodo.com/5843117/scientist...brain-activity

There are so many possibilities that it's ridiculous to speculate on successful technology that is so far into the future.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:29 AM   #322
jeremiah256
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Do people seriously not see the appeal in this?

It's like a handsfree smartphone for tasks that don't require much input. FaceTime conversations, for instance. Perfect for that. Maps/directions, sending/receiving messages via Siri.

Recording photos and videos without having to take out your phone. It's gonna make apps like Vine really useful. No funny moment will go missed while you struggle to get your phone out in time.

It would go perfectly with my cellular iPad mini which can stay in my pocket when Glass will suffice. Way better than a smart watch that requires you to look at your hand instead of what's in front of you.
I've got hundreds of hours of video of my son because of the ease of use of smartphone cameras. With these, I'd have thousands of hours. You don't have to wear these every single moment of every single day. Special occasions, hiking and camping trips, studying (book publishers are going to flip out when OCR apps come out for them), etc.

Last edited by jeremiah256; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
jeremiah256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:30 AM   #323
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

I would DEFINETELY want a button somewhere to take a quick pic instead of waiting for the device to recognize me saying "Ok glass, take a picture" and have it take it after the moment passed.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:31 AM   #324
syd430

Quote:
One whole pixel?

For tech that's so far away from being feasible, you seem way too invested in this being "the future".
Again, I never said people are going to go out and buy a 1 pixel contact lens. I never even said it would be viable in the next 10 years. I said "distant future" (20+ years?). You on the other hand explicitly said that there will "never" be a market for it.

Quote:
How are you so sure it won't instead be an earpiece that interfaces directly with your brain, one that's controlled by thought and forms images directly in your mind?
Of course a direct interface with the mind will eventually happen. The contact lens will probably logically come first though.

By the way, you're really straying away from what you originally said which is that "People don't want to be connected to an augmented reality 24/7".
  2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:31 AM   #325
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
An opinion cannot be wrong.
Your fact is opinionated.
cclloyd is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion