Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davcolley

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
Google Glass

Faster way to spot a Dork. Keep trying google, but can't you more closely copy Apple's laptops. Your last attempt was a fail.

sentiblue

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Silicon Valley
This is absolutely a beautiful innovation!!!

We haven't gone this drastically far before in technology...

The "mini" definition of this device beats EVERY other "mini" computer in the world...

I'm only worried that... during the middle of a loud environment.... whether the Glass can still recognize my voice command....

Nevertheless... I WILL buy the device... even if it was $2k.

S

syd430

A lot of people are missing the mark here. Of course looking at this product in isolation makes it look unpromising. The promise lies in the future iterations of such devices. Make no mistake, it is the future. It's dinky looking glasses today but one day it will be contact lenses. The UX will match and exceed that of current smartphones and it will no longer be a novelty. Eventually, a company will also come along that will make make the product viable for the general market and people will wonder how people got anything done by holding a brick in their hands.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Sure... One device helps a blind person see on an imaginary TV show, whilst the other device is a real world device that relays information onto a screen for someone that isn't blind. Totally comparable. .

This kind of tech has been at least researched to help the blind. Imagine that GPS being able to guide a blind person around town. The camera could detect items in the users path, even traffic at streets. Or read words and barcodes off products to tell someone what they are holding

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
<=10 years, this is going to be great. Complete integration with eyeglasses (just pick your frames at Lens Crafters), better all-around data access, and a few years for people to generate the support infrastructure for some great apps

----------

I bet most people here would buy the stupid iWatch over this just because Apple makes the watch.

As long as the watch isn't 1500...;)
But I would only pick the watch because at this point I bet it would be more useful. I think Google's onto something wonderful here

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
"innovating" is easier when you are willing to throw anything at the wall and home something sticks.

Agreed. Google glass, looks good.
Chromebook Pixel. Technology way ahead of it's time, in the end it's really unusable for everyone.

If you invent enough things, eventually one of them is bound to be good. But getting a high success ratio of good products? That's skill.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Actually it can. If it was my opinion that women should lose the vote, then my opinion is wrong.

But I was only being half serious with my statement!

You make a good point, but, while that opinion may not be the same as your beliefs, that doesn't make it wrong. While there are other issues with that statement, the opinion itself is not incorrect. But let's not get into a debate like that here.

My final statement:

The Chromebook Pixel is a terrible idea, no matter how good the product itself might be. While the chromebook in general is a fine product, making a half baked notebook more expensive than any other product of its kind on the market is not.

That being said, Google Glass is merely, in my opinion, a stupid product. The technology is cool, don't get me wrong, but why do I want to wear something like that on my face? For everyone on this same forum who said SIRI was stupid cause you had to talk to it in public must think this is a terrible product...in theory.

I have no issues with Google, I'm just not impressed with their latest bringings. That goes the same for Apple. Either way, I'm curious to see the evolution of Google Glass.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
It's dinky looking glasses today but one day it will be contact lenses.

That's a pretty ridiculous stretch.

I don't think Google Glasses are the future at all. Even if they offered full augmented reality HUD with eye tracking where the user activated elements cognitively, I don't see the market for being constantly connected to a digital reality.

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
You make a good point, but, while that opinion may not be the same as your beliefs, that doesn't make it wrong. While there are other issues with that statement, the opinion itself is not incorrect. But let's not get into a debate like that here.

My final statement:

The Chromebook Pixel is a terrible idea, no matter how good the product itself might be. While the chromebook in general is a fine product, making a half baked notebook more expensive than any other product of its kind on the market is not.

That being said, Google Glass is merely, in my opinion, a stupid product. The technology is cool, don't get me wrong, but why do I want to wear something like that on my face? For everyone on this same forum who said SIRI was stupid cause you had to talk to it in public must think this is a terrible product...in theory.

I have no issues with Google, I'm just not impressed with their latest bringings. That goes the same for Apple. Either way, I'm curious to see the evolution of Google Glass.

How many people said a music player with a round wheel control was a stupid idea?

How many people said a phone with no keyboard was a stupid idea?

How many people said a tablet was a stupid idea?

I thought so...

While I don't get Pixel pricing and specs, I view Glass as the future. Finally real augmented reality, photos/videos without the distractions. Kudos to Google for developing something like that, just like I gave cudos to Apple for developing iPod, iPhone and iPad, in face of public criticism.

S

syd430

That's a pretty ridiculous stretch.

I don't think Google Glasses are the future at all. Even if they offered full augmented reality HUD with eye tracking where the user activated elements cognitively, I don't see the market for being constantly connected to a digital reality.

Sure, we're all going to be using handheld devices and laptop/desktop computers for the next 150 years. That's sarcasm by the way.

Also I never said that GOOGLE GLASSES are the future. Stop putting words in my mouth. I made it pretty clear that I said the general technology is a step in the right direction and that it's pretty clear that we won't need physical devices in the distant future.

Go be combative and rude somewhere else. I'm all for rational debate, but being rude is just a sign of your immaturity and childishness.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

syd430

LOL OK buddy. You're right, the leap from Google glasses to contact lens computer is quite reasonable.

Actually, it already exists in a very early form today. The processing power doesn't have to be in the lens itself.:

http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wireless/227297/researchers-build-computer-monitor-contact-lens

With the current rate of advancements in nanotechnology, it could eventually be a viable product.

Not sure why you're commenting of something that you have zero knowledge in.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Soon it will be impossible to be in public without everyone instantly knowing who you are.

Macs have had facial recognition in iPhoto for a while now. Believe it's also part of Facebook and I've read Google doesn't put it in their products like Google Goggles because it would freak people out at how good it is. We are entering an age where everyone is on both sides of the Truman Show glass.

Last edited:

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
With the current rate of advancements in nanotechnology, it could eventually be a viable product.

One whole pixel?

For tech that's so far away from being feasible, you seem way too invested in this being "the future".

How are you so sure it won't instead be an earpiece that interfaces directly with your brain, one that's controlled by thought and forms images directly in your mind? The infancy of that tech is also here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR_LBcZg_84

http://gizmodo.com/5843117/scientists-reconstruct-video-clips-from-brain-activity

There are so many possibilities that it's ridiculous to speculate on successful technology that is so far into the future.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Do people seriously not see the appeal in this?

It's like a handsfree smartphone for tasks that don't require much input. FaceTime conversations, for instance. Perfect for that. Maps/directions, sending/receiving messages via Siri.

Recording photos and videos without having to take out your phone. It's gonna make apps like Vine really useful. No funny moment will go missed while you struggle to get your phone out in time.

It would go perfectly with my cellular iPad mini which can stay in my pocket when Glass will suffice. Way better than a smart watch that requires you to look at your hand instead of what's in front of you.

I've got hundreds of hours of video of my son because of the ease of use of smartphone cameras. With these, I'd have thousands of hours. You don't have to wear these every single moment of every single day. Special occasions, hiking and camping trips, studying (book publishers are going to flip out when OCR apps come out for them), etc.

Last edited:

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I would DEFINETELY want a button somewhere to take a quick pic instead of waiting for the device to recognize me saying "Ok glass, take a picture" and have it take it after the moment passed.

S

syd430

One whole pixel?

For tech that's so far away from being feasible, you seem way too invested in this being "the future".

Again, I never said people are going to go out and buy a 1 pixel contact lens. I never even said it would be viable in the next 10 years. I said "distant future" (20+ years?). You on the other hand explicitly said that there will "never" be a market for it.

How are you so sure it won't instead be an earpiece that interfaces directly with your brain, one that's controlled by thought and forms images directly in your mind?

Of course a direct interface with the mind will eventually happen. The contact lens will probably logically come first though.

By the way, you're really straying away from what you originally said which is that "People don't want to be connected to an augmented reality 24/7".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.