Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:52 AM   #1
sclawis300
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Rossen Report "Apple picking" error?

On the Today show this morning Jeff Rossen did a report about people stealing iphones while you are using them. He said that the worst part is that they can reset your password because the phone was in use. I am pretty sure this is dead wrong but I did notice something interesting. You can change the "auto lock" setting to never without having to enter a password.

Seems like a security oversight by apple to me. What do you guys think?
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:53 AM   #2
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
On the Today show this morning Jeff Rossen did a report about people stealing iphones while you are using them. He said that the worst part is that they can reset your password because the phone was in use. I am pretty sure this is dead wrong but I did notice something interesting. You can change the "auto lock" setting to never without having to enter a password.

Seems like a security oversight by apple to me. What do you guys think?
You have to know the existing password before you're able to change it to something new.
__________________
SandboxGeneral is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:06 AM   #3
bonskovsky
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
If you let someone snatch your phone without locking it at some point in the confrontation, then that's you. You can't just have your phone sitting out while someone is right next to you like that.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:11 AM   #4
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000
 
r2shyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
If you let someone snatch your phone without locking it at some point in the confrontation, then that's you. You can't just have your phone sitting out while someone is right next to you like that.
Very good point!

*Note to self: keep iPhone locked at all times when in the vicinity of other humans. Under no circumstances should you use iPhone when others are nearby.

P.S. Why doesn't the iPhone automatically lock when within range of other people? Seems like a security oversight by apple to me. What do you guys think?

__________________
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb
r2shyyou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:27 AM   #5
sclawis300
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
You have to know the existing password before you're able to change it to something new.
exactly what I thought. Why not require this to change when the phone auto locks? If I grab a phone that is unlocked but cant change the password, all I have to do is set it to never auto lock and I wont need the password. That is almost as good as reseting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
If you let someone snatch your phone without locking it at some point in the confrontation, then that's you. You can't just have your phone sitting out while someone is right next to you like that.
How exactly do you lock your phone while someone is punching you in the face??? They were talking about people grabbing the phone out of your hand while you are using it. Not just sitting on a table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
Very good point!

*Note to self: keep iPhone locked at all times when in the vicinity of other humans. Under no circumstances should you use iPhone when others are nearby.

P.S. Why doesn't the iPhone automatically lock when within range of other people? Seems like a security oversight by apple to me. What do you guys think?

dumbest response I have seen in a long time. nice job. Where is the down vote arrow when you need it?
sclawis300 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:31 AM   #6
bonskovsky
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
How exactly do you lock your phone while someone is punching you in the face??? They were talking about people grabbing the phone out of your hand while you are using it. Not just sitting on a table.
It's kind of like an automatic reaction. I've seen people get their iPhones snatched, (she was a sitting duck) and most of the time, they just reacted too slowly. If I'm sitting on a bus, I instinctively clutch my phone tighter than I normally would.

Also, if someone tries to snatch it right out of my hand, it's going to be a confrontation.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:39 AM   #7
sclawis300
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
It's kind of like an automatic reaction. I've seen people get their iPhones snatched, (she was a sitting duck) and most of the time, they just reacted too slowly. If I'm sitting on a bus, I instinctively clutch my phone tighter than I normally would.

Also, if someone tries to snatch it right out of my hand, it's going to be a confrontation.
but how are you going to lock it? Just pushing the lock button does not make it require a password.
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:53 AM   #8
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000
 
r2shyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
dumbest response I have seen in a long time. nice job. Where is the down vote arrow when you need it?
It's okay, don't worry, you just missed that it was, ya know, SARCASM.
__________________
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb
r2shyyou is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:05 AM   #9
wxman2003
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
but how are you going to lock it? Just pushing the lock button does not make it require a password.
Always have a pass code to begin with.
__________________
iMac I5, Macbook, iPad Air, iPad rMini, iPhone 5s, ATV 3
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:33 AM   #10
bonskovsky
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
but how are you going to lock it? Just pushing the lock button does not make it require a password.
Are you new to iPhones?
bonskovsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:30 PM   #11
sclawis300
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Always have a pass code to begin with.
My bad, I was confusing "auto lock" with "require passcode". minimum setting to auto lock is 1 minute while the minimum for require passcode is immediately.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Are you new to iPhones?
nope
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:34 PM   #12
bonskovsky
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Are you new to iPhones?
nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
but how are you going to lock it? Just pushing the lock button does not make it require a password.
Um,.....

Yes it does.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:55 PM   #13
sclawis300
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Um,.....

Yes it does.
did you read my last post? obviously not.
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:57 PM   #14
pnyc
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
What does it matter if the phone is locked or not? Who cares if he can change the password or not, he has your phone he can reset the password/phone. You think the thief cares about your sexting pic collection, most likely that's not his motivation for stealing your phone. If his ass is not completely up his ass he'll simply factory restore the phone and re-sale.
__________________
MacBook Pro i7, 8GB, 250GB SSD ; 27" LED Apple Cinema Display
pnyc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:12 PM   #15
bonskovsky
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
did you read my last post? obviously not.
yes i did but, im lost

point blank if somebody tries to steal your phone, you can lock it in the tussle

Once they factory restore it with a computer you're safe anyway so.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:37 PM   #16
sclawis300
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyc View Post
What does it matter if the phone is locked or not? Who cares if he can change the password or not, he has your phone he can reset the password/phone. You think the thief cares about your sexting pic collection, most likely that's not his motivation for stealing your phone. If his ass is not completely up his ass he'll simply factory restore the phone and re-sale.
Lots of people have these things called jobs where they have sensitive information stored on their phones.
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:37 AM   #17
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LL22, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
Lots of people have these things called jobs where they have sensitive information stored on their phones.
I do, thats why I don't use buses
__________________
iP5/32 black unlimited tethered data, ip4/32 black, iPad3/32gbwifi black, 2 x iP3gs/32 black, nikon d7000 with eyefi , honda s2000, audi a6 le mans, defender 90
Ste Nova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:42 AM   #18
VulchR
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyc View Post
What does it matter if the phone is locked or not? Who cares if he can change the password or not, he has your phone he can reset the password/phone. You think the thief cares about your sexting pic collection, most likely that's not his motivation for stealing your phone. If his ass is not completely up his ass he'll simply factory restore the phone and re-sale.
Which is exactly why the manufacturers of mobile phones need to add hardware-based security, like perhaps a physical card that goes into the SIM slot that is the only way of enabling the device to be factory restored.
__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:03 PM   #19
pnyc
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
Lots of people have these things called jobs where they have sensitive information stored on their phones.
True, but sensitive information should be encrypted. iPhone passcode lock has a pretty poor track record as far as exploits and vulnerabilities are concerned, Apple just closed the latest one few days ago. You shouldn't trust it to protect your "sensitive data".
__________________
MacBook Pro i7, 8GB, 250GB SSD ; 27" LED Apple Cinema Display
pnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:05 PM   #20
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post
dumbest response i have seen in a long time. Nice job. Where is the down vote arrow when you need it?
facepalm!!!
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:05 PM   #21
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawis300 View Post

dumbest response I have seen in a long time. nice job. Where is the down vote arrow when you need it?
I actually facepalmed. It was sarcasm mate.
__________________
I am a professional DJ
macingman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:15 AM   #22
AFDoc
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
It's okay, don't worry, you just missed that it was, ya know, SARCASM.
LoL.... I didn't think anything but when I read your response and then LMAO when OP responded the way they did. I guess some people just don't have the gift some of us have.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:19 AM   #23
SoLongAndroid
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
If you let someone snatch your phone without locking it at some point in the confrontation, then that's you. You can't just have your phone sitting out while someone is right next to you like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
yes i did but, im lost

point blank if somebody tries to steal your phone, you can lock it in the tussle

Once they factory restore it with a computer you're safe anyway so.
This guy would have to be a ninja.


SoLongAndroid is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Report Claims Beats Acquisition to Bring "Culturally Aware" Managers to Apple, Manage Subscription Music Transition MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 309 May 26, 2014 02:24 PM
Picking up FedEx package marked "not due for delivery" jumpman25 Community Discussion 2 Nov 10, 2013 06:23 PM
Apple store "unexpected character at line 1" error Appl3FTW iOS 6 12 Nov 15, 2012 05:41 PM
How i can fix "Wiki setting error" and "Running time error" ? Amethyst Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking 0 Sep 2, 2012 01:34 PM
iPad: New iPad stuck on apple logo and error "incompatible firmware" when restoring Nawizo Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Aug 24, 2012 07:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC