Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigdavecox90

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Hi guys,

Just purchased myself a new 13" MBA.

Want your advice on the best way to keep it spick and span.

To be completely honest, it doesn't leave the house and very rarely will, but would still like to keep it look brand new.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The screen? I use a microfiber cloth and Windex (or maybe some other glass cleaner).

For the rest of the computer, I use rubbing alcohol.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Hi guys,

To be completely honest, it doesn't leave the house and very rarely will, but would still like to keep it look brand new.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Me too. I use my 2011 MBA as a portable iMac. I use just water and a good micro fibre cloth. Seems to be needed every 6 months.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The screen? I use a microfiber cloth and Windex (or maybe some other glass cleaner).

Ye, dont do either of these things!

Rubbing alcohol is powerful stuff and could damage the print on the keys or the screen over time depending how strong it is. Its also not great for your hands so its just silly to use it for something you don't need to. Why on earth would you even do this anyway?!

Window cleaner can have all kinds of things in it, some of which also might damage your screen.

A decent micro fibre cloth and sometimes a very small amount of water will clean it perfectly well. You could also use a small amount of some kitchen antibacterial cleaner for the keyboard and trackpad if thats your thing.

Theres also computer cleaning kits that contain a good cloth and a little spray bottle of solution which are very convenient to use.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

Dave

To clean the screen on your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, first shut down the computer and unplug the power adapter. Dampen the included cleaning cloth with just water and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly onto the screen.

Important: The bottom case of the MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) and MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010) uses a soft nonslip material. Use a 3M Gray Microfiber or soft dye-free, lint-free cloth to clean the bottom case.

taken direct from apples website:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226#portables

Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Water & micro fibre for the screen. For the chassis I use all natural hypo allergenic all purpose cleaner. The ingredients are usually water and plant based alkyl polyglycosides. Those 2 ingredients will not damage the soft aluminum nor damage the black plastic keys. In fact those 2 ingredients pretty much will not damage anything. If there are other chemicals in the solution, I cannot speak to those. Been using it for years on my technology equipment and it looks, feels and smells brand new.

If you are absolutely anal, you really don't need anything besides water and a cloth.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
Cleaning your Mac When cleaning the outside of your Mac and its components, first shut down your Mac, and then unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the Mac exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives that might damage the finish.

Cleaning the Mac screen To clean your Mac screen, first shut down your Mac and unplug the power adapter. Then use a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with just water and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.
Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

gmccj

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
Don't use Windex

Windex has ammonia in it which will penetrate and cloud plastic.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
One of the best cleaning kits for Apple stuff is the iKlear Screen Cleaning Kit for Apple Products. Have been using it for years, and used to be stocked by the Apple Store, but for some reason they now sell something else, which I tried and it is not the same. Its not cheap, but it cleans you Mac really well, and unlike other products does not leave smears on your screen. The kit does last for ages - I am bit OCD and clean my rMBP a couple of times a week and a kit like this will last 6 months to a year. You can use it to clean the display of your Mac as well as you iOS devices and well as the aluminium body and keyboard. The Kit comes with a antimicrobial micro fibre cloth, which is great for removing fingerprints.

51-Ydhu6RQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I use a small amount of eye glass cleaner on a microfibril cloth to clean the screen and compressed air to clean the keyboard. I find that using water, even in small amounts, leaves ugly streaks on the screen no matter how good of a job I do on drying it. The eye glass cleaner doesn't leave any residue.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Eye glass cleaner wipes for the screen, and damp cloth on the chassis. I don't mess around with Windex or alcohol.

davys

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Lanark
One of the best cleaning kits for Apple stuff is the iKlear Screen Cleaning Kit for Apple Products. Have been using it for years, and used to be stocked by the Apple Store, but for some reason they now sell something else, which I tried and it is not the same. Its not cheap, but it cleans you Mac really well, and unlike other products does not leave smears on your screen. The kit does last for ages - I am bit OCD and clean my rMBP a couple of times a week and a kit like this will last 6 months to a year. You can use it to clean the display of your Mac as well as you iOS devices and well as the aluminium body and keyboard. The Kit comes with a antimicrobial micro fibre cloth, which is great for removing fingerprints.

View attachment 398980

+1...excellent product, and as James says it lasts for a long time.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Ye, dont do either of these things!

Rubbing alcohol is powerful stuff and could damage the print on the keys or the screen over time depending how strong it is. Its also not great for your hands so its just silly to use it for something you don't need to. Why on earth would you even do this anyway?!

Window cleaner can have all kinds of things in it, some of which also might damage your screen.

A decent micro fibre cloth and sometimes a very small amount of water will clean it perfectly well. You could also use a small amount of some kitchen antibacterial cleaner for the keyboard and trackpad if thats your thing.

Theres also computer cleaning kits that contain a good cloth and a little spray bottle of solution which are very convenient to use.

Windex has ammonia in it which will penetrate and cloud plastic.

Uh… I'm been doing this for as long as I can remember.

Windex for screens… rubbing alcohol for everything else.

Water leaves spots and streaks which is why I don't use it.

Also I use rubbing alcohol to clean my hands all the time.

I do all this because it works for me. If my computer breaks from me cleaning it too much, then it's probably old enough I'll need a new one.

Last edited:

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK

I do all this because it works for me. If my computer breaks from me cleaning it too much, then it's probably old enough I'll need a new one.

You should NOT use Windex for LCD screens, it used to be ok for Glass CRT screens but absolutely not for LCD, Windex contains ammonia among other ingredients which is likely to damage the surface of the screen.

Last edited:

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

windex varies between countries. You've obviously got lucky and have an ammonia free one, others might not and destroy a computer. Theres a reason its never recommended.

Your free to do what you want but its still very bad advice. The fact no one else in this thread has agreed with you should give you a clue about that.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Do not use rubbing alcohol! That is crazy! Alcohol is very harsh, especially on plastics.

For the keyboard and body, I'll use a light household cleaner like 409 or Fantastik. I spray a little on a microfiber cloth and wipe gently. It removes all the gook, hand oils, peanut butter, coffee stains, drool, etc.

For the screen, I'll use a cleaner designed specifically for optical plastics, such as plastic eyeglass lens cleaner.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Do not use rubbing alcohol! That is crazy! Alcohol is very harsh, especially on plastics.

For the keyboard and body, I'll use a light household cleaner like 409 or Fantastik.
Funny, since both 409 and Fantastik contain alcohol.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Worth mentioning that the iKlear polish for Apple linked in an earlier post does not contain either alcohol or ammonia.

amien

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
i'm using the same stuff that my little boy is using to whip his behind. Working pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.