Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sock.monkey25

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
Seattle
Great Product

Apple makes great products that last a while. Period! Can't argue with that. Samsung however, is innovative. I bought a note 2 4 weeks ago and love the software on it. Coming from iPhones since 2007, I can say there is so much I can do on the note 2 than the iPhone.

Just wish apple could improve the battery and software, as its designed for the elderly and kids. Besides, it felt good buying the note and not contributing anymore to the BILLIONS $$$$$ in the Apple fund.

People are so silly to keep buying iStuff with such little innovations and high profit margins.

Lower the prices, change the software, and improve the battery.

riverpoet

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
Apple makes great products that last a while. Period! Can't argue with that. Samsung however, is innovative. I bought a note 2 4 weeks ago and love the software on it. Coming from iPhones since 2007, I can say there is so much I can do on the note 2 than the iPhone.

Just wish apple could improve the battery and software, as its designed for the elderly and kids. Besides, it felt good buying the note and not contributing anymore to the BILLIONS $$$$$ in the Apple fund.

People are so silly to keep buying iStuff with such little innovations and high profit margins.

Lower the prices, change the software, and improve the battery.

Innovation as in adding more and more useless features, complex UI & reducing usability for the normal user in the process? I.e. making smartphone and tablet OS UI more like PC-like is innovation???

The funniest thing in tech world... techies/geeks always make new stuff and then think an average user should learn how to use them. Reality ain't like that. The overwhelming majority of people will always be lazy & stupid. The secret of Apple's success, i.e. the Steve Jobs magic touch has always been to alter the hardware and software so that it matched the average user's capabilities and not expect them to go through steep (relatively speaking) learning curve.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
What do you do with your iPhone? I get 2 days of use on a full charge. make 20hrs of calls a month, 4 exchange push accounts, iCloud push and app use.

I undock my phone at 0630, and begin my commute to work, i browse the net, check emails, play a game, or watch a tv show on netflix, by the time i arrive at work around 0845 an iphone is around 30% charged (both the 3Gs and 4S i had previously fell to this), so i am then forced to either plug the phone in somewhere and leave it to charge, which is not always an easy things to do as i spend my day fairly mobile, and need the phone on me.

So with an iPhone, i need to charge it again during the day at work, unplug it at 1730 and then it runs down to 30% or so again by the time i get home and have to plug it in again to charge overnight, if i decide to go out directly from work i can expect the phone to be dead by 1900 hrs ..

on the flip side of this, with the same usage pattern, and no charging during the day, the Galaxy S2 i have gets me 21hrs on a single charge, with between 11 and 15% batter life left at that point.

Apple need to increase battery life, and therefore thickness and weight so that the phone will last a day of USE, not a day on standby. With power hungry chips and every worse, the retina display, having the same battery as the iPhone 3G isnt cutting it anymore (incidentally, i still LOVE the iPhone 1s design and weight, it was the best design and feel in hand IMO, they should go back to that, and fill it with battery)

Last edited:

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
iPhone users dont understand how liberating it is to never have to have your phone stuck on a stupid charger EVER

I have at least six hours a day where I am in bed. Why does it matter if the phone is on the charger at that time? I'm asleep and the phone is still within reach if needed.

----------

I undock my phone at 0630, and begin my commute to work, i browse the net, check emails, play a game, or watch a tv show on netflix, by the time i arrive at work around 0845 an iphone is around 30% charged (both the 3Gs and 4S i had previously fell to this), so i am then forced to either plug the phone in somewhere and leave it to charge, which is not always an easy things to do as i spend my day fairly mobile, and need the phone on me.

I wonder why my phone is not like this at all. I have very similar usage and I have yet to need to charge my phone before bedtime if it had a full charge in the morning.

I'm also thinking you are insane for tolerating a 2:15 long commute each way.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
i never run out of battery because when i do i put another in and im back to 100%

If i come home and im running low im 30 seconds away from full charge.

If i know im going to be away i take it with me and it never has to be on charge,

iPhone users dont understand how liberating it is to never have to have your phone stuck on a stupid charger EVER

Thats because iPhone users are only ever unplugged as they walk from desk to desk, the rest of the time they are plugged in charging,

I see it in my office every day, people asking to borrow iPhone charging cables, but maybe once a month someone asks for a micro USB for an android because they forgot to charge two days ago.

----------

I'm also thinking you are insane for tolerating a 2:15 long commute each way.

its around 2hrs, 15 mins is for breakfast.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Thats because iPhone users are only ever unplugged as they walk from desk to desk, the rest of the time they are plugged in charging,

I see it in my office every day, people asking to borrow iPhone charging cables, but maybe once a month someone asks for a micro USB for an android because they forgot to charge two days ago.

Right.../s

I use my iPhone 5 all day in/out of the office with no need to charge. Nice exaggeration though.

On the other hand I know of several Android users in my office that continually have to reboot their phones, and have issues with Exchange email.

I.Love.Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Right.../s

I use my iPhone 5 all day in/out of the office with no need to charge. Nice exaggeration though.

On the other hand I know of several Android users in my office that continually have to reboot their phones, and have issues with Exchange email.

Unless your job somehow requires the use of iPhone, you probably do not use the phone much during the day. Of course it can last then. All phones behave this way.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Unless your job somehow requires the use of iPhone, you probably do not use the phone much during the day. Of course it can last then. All phones behave this way.

In use it regularly. Daily, every week, every month, year in, year out...

completing

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
Seriously??

Comparing 6 expensive devices from Apple with 1000 different models spanning from cheap to expensive from Samsung, Nokia, and Motorola doesn't seem much of a comparison.

What a useless article.

If they compared only flagship models, that maybe more useful.

completing

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
Innovation as in adding more and more useless features, complex UI & reducing usability for the normal user in the process? I.e. making smartphone and tablet OS UI more like PC-like is innovation???

The funniest thing in tech world... techies/geeks always make new stuff and then think an average user should learn how to use them. Reality ain't like that. The overwhelming majority of people will always be lazy & stupid. The secret of Apple's success, i.e. the Steve Jobs magic touch has always been to alter the hardware and software so that it matched the average user's capabilities and not expect them to go through steep (relatively speaking) learning curve.

I switched to Note 2 after having gone through every iPhone and iPad models released.

Got rid of my iPhone and iPad after getting a Note 2, and never regretted ever since.

Well.. I guess I'm not lazy and stupid enough to stay within Apple's ecosystem.

I didn't have any issue switching over. Android as intuitive as iOS, and much more. And yes, having a PC like interface is an innovation since that brings amazing productivity.

benjo765

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
Los Angeles
One glance at the "FixYa" pages shows Nokia queries to be full of decade old devices. What are they even counting as a smartphone?

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Tom's Battery life are not considering current state of the OS.

I Own both an iPhone 4S and 5 and a Galaxy Note 2, all with Latest OS Updates, no hack, no root neither jailbreak, and my Note 2 Battery Lifes is outstanding now, easy last 16h on 3G/Wifi, while I Never see more than 10H battery life on none of my iPhones, the 5 is the best with about 12 hyet while I'm not on Lte or heavy Gamming but far behind the Note 2.

Android OS Updates does affecto Battery life as iOS does.

My Note 2 on Android 4.1.1 was a shame, about 7-9 hours at best, now on latest 4.1.2 I'm getting easy 14-16 hr, same was with iPhone and iOS 6.1 a total battery hog, also my 4S helped by a mophie case cant manage 11hr, now on iOS 6.1.2 bot are close to 10hr w/o external battery pack, but to be fair I have less time ob iOS now I have the note 2, so was a very ligth duty.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
This must mainly refer to software, not hardware. The iPhone 4 rated the worst for hardware reliability
https://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/0...iable-least-rugged-among-popular-smartphones/

I'd imagine that hasn't changed a great deal.

PS for a laugh read the second to last paragraph in the fixya article. I don't know what drugs they were on when they did that!

Huh, that graph shows the 4 as the most reliable 2.1% malfunction rate.

Hence the title:

"iPhone 4 Deemed Most Reliable, Least Rugged Among Popular Smartphones"

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Can't connect wifi? With an apple device? Broadcom hardware is hands down the most reliable stuff I've ever used. My mac and iPhone outperform all my other devices for ease of connection and even range. All these monsters with big visible antennas and my MacBook Pro gets a better range than almost all of them.

If you need need connecting wifi, I think you need help with a lot of things.

I was at an event a late last year (in the Washington DC metro area where there's a lot of cellular carrier infrastructure) with my relatively new iPhone 5. The super technical presenter had a very nice Droid device. I was telling him how amazing LTE throughput both in benchmark tests and real world use was and he agreed. I fired up the Speed Test app to show him and he said he uses it as well... when he ran it on his phone the LTE throughput was noticeably slower (he frustratingly ran it 10 times and got similar results). Now he was on VZ and I'm on AT&T but it was like night and day!!!

Only issue I've had with Apple devices on WiFi has been with some Motorola routers. If they are not set with the "enhanced" checkbox on the Moto wifi settings, the connection is not reliable. I drove me batty at the beach last summer until I figured it out. My iPad 2, iPhone 4 and MBP kept dropping the WiFi connection for no reason.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
Actually...it is. Big. But it is.

And Apple copying Samsungs innovation then we have a winner! :D

I wasn't aware that bigger screens and styluses meant innovation.

Or unless I've mis-understood what you wrote, in that case, ignore my babbling comments.

But if you meant screen, then I hope Apple never makes their phones larger than 4". It's absurd. Sure, they should make something for the people with big hands, but they better not make anything more than 4". Not everyone in the world has troll hands, people have dwarf hands too >/

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland

So with an iPhone, i need to charge it again during the day at work, unplug it at 1730 and then it runs down to 30% or so again by the time i get home and have to plug it in again to charge overnight, if i decide to go out directly from work i can expect the phone to be dead by 1900 hrs ..

on the flip side of this, with the same usage pattern, and no charging during the day, the Galaxy S2 i have gets me 21hrs on a single charge, with between 11 and 15% batter life left at that point.

Apple need to increase battery life, and therefore thickness and weight so that the phone will last a day of USE, not a day on standby. With power hungry chips and every worse, the retina display, having the same battery as the iPhone 3G isnt cutting it anymore (incidentally, i still LOVE the iPhone 1s design and weight, it was the best design and feel in hand IMO, they should go back to that, and fill it with battery)

Is your iPhone jail broken? HOLD UP....you use 70% of the battery in 2 hours?!?!?

are you playing games videos et with the screen at 100% brightness, running a Bluetooth stereo headset, tethering on LTE.... How can you even hold the phone, it must be burning.

Sounds like you are lacking out of your rear end or your phone is jail broken or faulty. Maybe it's a 3 year old phone and needs a new battery? Really trying hard to believe you here but starting to think you are trolling hard.

Last edited:

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Is your iPhone jail broken? HOLD UP....you use 70% of the battery in 2 hours?!?!?

are you playing games videos et with the screen at 100% brightness, running a Bluetooth stereo headset, tethering on LTE.... How can you even hold the phone, it must be burning.

Sounds like you are lacking out of your rear end or your phone is jail broken or faulty. Maybe it's a 3 year old phone and needs a new battery? Really trying hard to believe you here but starting to think you are trolling hard.

Not JB, stock, yes it gets warm, brightness at 50% which is as low as i can stand during the commute, lower and reflections from lights/sun etc makes screen unreadable, no tethering, but yes, 3G connection and streaming video for an hour ish is likely, rest is reading a kindle book, browsing the internet or making calls, not the only person i know who eats through 70% of battery life on an iPhone in around 2-3 hrs , many of my friends switched to android phones after the 3GS and 4 , like myself, and now get 20hrs out of a charge with the same usage, the iPhone battery would be fine if we all used the phones as "dumb" phones, just kept them in our pockets and checked texts occasionally, but the iPhone is a "smart" phone, and i would expect to be able to use it for a full day, at least 16hrs, using all its features (so around 4hrs of "smart" time") and still expect to not have to plug it in to charge until 10 or 11pm at the earliest from a 6am undocking... which i can do with my Galaxy S2 (which can go 21hrs between charges at my usage levels).

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
Buy a phablet let and a little Nokia phone for calling trumps everything (7 days battery on the Nokia)

Plus you don't look like a fuxwit holding a comically large 'phone' to your ear.

My note 2 rocks. everyone loves it. screen is amazing and performance and freedom of the OS is sublime.

iPhone just doesnt even compare any more. Trying to read the web on that piddly little display makes me laugh.

Small phones are so 2001. Big phones are where its at

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
My note 2 rocks. everyone loves it. screen is amazing and performance and freedom of the OS is sublime.

iPhone just doesnt even compare any more. Trying to read the web on that piddly little display makes me laugh.

Small phones are so 2001. Big phones are where its at

Must be a cultural thing, bet those who like it also like american idol, the batchelor, im a celebrity get me out of here, the national enquirer and are the beginning of the end of humanity.

look at the shiny shiny /sigh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.